It is time to get this done.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It is time to get this done.  (Read 884 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »

Almost three years ago to the day, myself and several others set into motion a series of controversial events aimed at rectifying a problem that was present even then: the need for consolidation. "Operation Rimjob" was viewed as childish, trolling behavior at the time, but those who were at the core of the operation understood that Atlasia was fundamentally broken and needed to be changed. This initial effort failed - totally due to activist judges - and we were left without a clear path forward.

While met with total opposition at the time, many others from all parties and ideologies began to see that our system was in fact broken and in dire need of repair. It was a contagious notion that could not be suppressed by the opposition. I pushed and pushed for reform throughout 2013, waging a successful uphill battle in public opinion and convincing the country of the need for change. Unfortunately, that effort ultimately fell flat at the ballot box during a low-turnout election and we were left without a clear path forward.

I never lost sight of the prize: a revived Atlasia with fewer offices, more competition and new gameplay styles to ensure that we would continue to have a game that was fun and enjoyable.

In 2014, my Vice President - motivated by a Radical Gay Agenda that we share so deeply -  dreamed of a world in which we could pursue this goal even further, with a push for bicameralism and consolidation. At the time, he faced steep criticism and opposition within his own party as President, and was nearly thrown out of office in primaries twice for daring to dream. At the time, this effort failed and we were left without a clear path forward.

In 2015, the destruction, decay and lack of interest we foresaw came full-circle. Finally, even our one-time opponents began to get it: the game needed to be changed. From then on, we have seen a unification of people from all parties, all ideologies and all walks of life come together to insist that the status quo must be changed. From Bore and Lumine's efforts in pushing for a constitutional convention to Yankee and Leinad clearing the way for a successful multi-partisan embrace of the concept to Harry S Truman leading the charge in the constitutional convention itself, it began to take shape.

We are now left with a clear path forward.

When I ran for President, I promised you that we would weather the storm and that this ConCon would produce a document - a successful document - that would give us all new roles and give this game new life. I told you it wouldn't be easy and I told you it probably wouldn't happen in my first term, but we have all stayed the course and we are at a special moment in history.

It is time to usher in the new game that so many of us began to envision so long ago: a process three years in the making. None of us got everything we wanted, but that is how you know that the result is meaningful. We cannot let anyone stop us from barreling forward, full steam ahead. If anybody gets in our way, then rest assured that the overarching promise of my tenure - that I will crack their skulls and make bongo drums out of them - remains truer than ever. We are not finished, but there is a lot of light at the end of this tunnel. Stay vigilant, remember why we started this, and vote to ratify this new Constitution.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:21:29 AM »

Thank you for all of your hard work on this. It is my hope that the Midwest plays its part in making sure this is ratified.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »

It's been 2 years in the making. It's time
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:47:16 AM »

Thank you, Mr. President, and everyone else involved, for getting us here. I'll do my part to make sure the job gets done.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:05:26 PM »

I agree on everything except the bit about Rimjob, Adam. There was no path to this kind of reform from that event. It was a criminal conspiracy, meant to change people's opinions through shock and horror and the Supreme Court merely did its job in 2013 (to protect the right of the Pacific's citizens to a democratic system).

If you were going to design a reform push to fail, you couldn't do better than that clusterf@#K. In fact, when it came time for Duke to attempt a real reform six months later, he ran head long into a regionalist movement rejuvenated as a result of Rimjob, with the entire right being whipped in opposition behind closed doors mainly out of fear that it would be manipulated by those same people in the Pacific. And with friends like those radicals, who needs enemies. Two of them (and 1 Nappy) failed to show up to even vote on it in the Senate, causing it to fail even though only two Senators voted nay, necessitating a re-introduction and a revote, which I was able to expedite as PPT thankfully. They were all in for causing trouble and not quite as concerned about reform. Some of them even voted nay on the ratification vote just to spite pro-reformers like Lumine who happened to PM the wrong person about voting. You were deregistered at the time of your own choice and because of the split of Atlasia into cliques, all of the GOTV was from people on the wrong side of that divide to get the allegedly pro-reform rimjobbers out.

This is not a victory for radicalist cabals. A July Surrender last summer would have been rimjob's vindication. This is a victory for the sober minded reforms of the like championed by people like Marokai and Duke, which were for years blocked by some of the same people involved in Rimjob because they were too pro-region in some cases, or in others, because they wanted to stir crap up. And to come full circle, The Marokai administration, which was entirely build on the promise of reforms, opposed that crime in the Pacific.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2016, 11:57:53 PM by President Griffin »

We all know that your revisionist history is subject to rebuttal by those who were part of it, Yankee. Tongue

Rimjob was initiated to render a final solution for what was a perpetually dead region that could not be saved or managed on a permanent basis, which was directly the result of there being too many regions in the first place. Reduction of the regions - actually, wholesale elimination of the regions - was the original goal of Rimjob, as anyone who was deeply involved with it at the time would tell you (with the secondary goal being to neuter Hamilton's remaining influence and to reverse the abomination that the Toad left in his wake out there, both of which happened regardless). Compromise occurred along the way. Was it done in a secretive, trollish and hilarious fashion? Absolutely. There were copious amounts of strategic and legal work put into it by some of the brightest minds in the game and the argument, constitutionality and legal case for it all was full-proof from a strict constructionist standpoint.

The reason the Supreme Court "did its job" according to you was simple: one of them voted against it because he didn't want his region being destroyed or interfered with to such an extent by anyone else (least of all Xahar), another one voted against it because he was mad that I didn't tell him what was going on prior (the same reason he voted for you in June 2013 in that Senate race), and I can only assume that third one voted against it - based on what I heard from others at the time regarding decisions in general made by the court - because the first one told him to do so.

This is where this noble effort began, whether you like it or not, and I should know: I was the one pushing forboth of those things! If you think that other "sober minds" were more involved with pushing this monstrosity uphill over time than I - that kept its idea alive through thick and thin, and that pulled the strings behind the scenes to put these coalitions together - then you are even more out of your ancient mind than I thought! Rimjob was the inspiration and the origin story, my friend. Cheesy
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 01:06:18 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 01:10:07 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The only revisionism here is your attempt to rehabilitate the crime of 2013.

The heavy lifting to fix the Pacific that occured in 2013 and 2014 could have been proceeded without it. The very power obtained to engage in this activity could have been used to both destroy Nappy's influence and to reform the region. Of course that was impossible, because half of them are only active for shock trolling events and not serious governing.

As for the reform nationwide, regardless of the benefits to the argument for the necessity, and what you saw from being on the pro-side, I know what happened on the right because I happen to be fortunate enough have traversed in all the right circles, lacking the power to change the trajectory, but more than enough to see and know quite a lot. The same event that kicked it all in motion gurranteed Duke's lack of success in 2013 and 2014 on the reform question.

People have always reacted negatively to these types of events and the public support you build up was paper thin as it was not reflected once GOTV had worked its magic, with most of the success occuring on the nay side,  using the argument that a repeat was to be feared.

Reform like this only works when everyone is on board, political competitiveness is preserved and and both sides get to walk away with something. There was nothing like that about the summer of 2013 and that is why that failed and this didn't.

Your involvement is legendary and commendable, Adam,  no one is going to take this away from you. That doesn't vindicate such trollish stunts as Rimjob and thE July Anarchy. They were a distraction that caused significant delay from real reform, by people who mostly only care about distractions not reform.

And now most of those people are on the outside looking in mocking and deriding the very new generation of leaders who made this possible. No one will convince me that actions born of such thinking are a positive force in this game.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies