Clinton moves to defend Rust Belt blue states (MI/WI/PA/OH)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton moves to defend Rust Belt blue states (MI/WI/PA/OH)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton moves to defend Rust Belt blue states (MI/WI/PA/OH)  (Read 1767 times)
HillOfANight
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:53 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/against-trump-clinton-is-preparing-an-expanded-list-of-battleground-states/2016/05/12/cfe8e3b4-17b4-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

her campaign is preparing to invest heavily in states that President Obama won in 2012, if not always by large margins.

Take Michigan, a state that Obama won twice despite investing little in 2008 and 2012. Michigan Democrats say that Trump poses some “challenges and opportunities” that make this year different.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »

It won't help her. She is despised there.

The working class voters in those states don’t like the phonies and liars like Hillary.
They will support the true friend of the working class – Donald Trump.

Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »

It won't help her. She is despised there.

The working class voters in those states don’t like the phonies and liars like Hillary.
They will support the true friend of the working class – Donald Trump.

lol
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »

Hm, interesting.  I wonder if her campaign's internal polling is showing Trump competitive in that region.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:49 PM »

Hm, interesting.  I wonder if her campaign's internal polling is showing Trump competitive in that region.

Not competitive, but crushing her.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »

Lol.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:56:21 PM »

Take a step outside.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:56:48 PM »

Ljube, you are out of your goddamn mind.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »

Please stop drinking Kool-Aid.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »

Guys, I am exaggerating a bit. Smiley

But the fact remains. As I have told you so many times in the last ten or so months, Hillary has problems connecting with the working class voters and Trump has a strong appeal to them.
In fact, his appeal is not limited to just white working class.

That's why all these states are competitive and true battlegrounds and you will see that the general election map will change this time around, particularly if Trump manages to win the election.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 12:12:37 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 12:14:26 AM by Frodo »

But the fact remains. As I have told you so many times in the last ten or so months, Hillary has problems connecting with the working class voters and Trump has a strong appeal to them.

That's why all these states are competitive and true battlegrounds and you will see that the general election map will change this time around, particularly if Trump manages to win the election.

Let's see how well his appeal to them holds up when they hear what he thinks about unions, and how he has dealt with them as a business tycoon.  
bumpercrop
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:13:01 AM »

Evidence besides your delusional ravings?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:14:18 AM »

LJube is just having his fun.

I do believe Michigan will trend Republican pretty significantly with Trump on top of the ticket.  However, Romney lost Michigan by 10 in 2012, and I have a hard time seeing Trump being able to make up the whole margin.  My personal ceiling for Trump in MI is probably losing by 3 or 4, but it's probably in his best interest to force Hillary to compete there.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »

I do believe Michigan will trend Republican pretty significantly with Trump on top of the ticket.  However, Romney lost Michigan by 10 in 2012, and I have a hard time seeing Trump being able to make up the whole margin.  My personal ceiling for Trump in MI is probably losing by 3 or 4, but it's probably in his best interest to force Hillary to compete there.

Romney was a very poor fit for working class voters. He is the antithesis of Trump, Trump being a real-estate developer and the ultimate job creator, and Romney being a vulture capitalist (Gordon Gekko) and job destroyer.

There will also be some traditionally Dem working class voters switching to Trump and their votes count twice for the purpose of reducing the margin.

If the popular vote margin became closer (within one point or so - as is generally expected of this election), Trump would be in a very good position to even win Michigan, while Ohio and Pennsylvania would be almost guaranteed.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 01:12:29 AM »

Trump polls terribly in Wisconsin and Michigan. He almost always has. Look at Wisconsin's: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton-5659.html

Sure, one or two early polls aren't worth worrying over, on their own, but that many polls taken since his campaign picked up steam showing such steep losses shows a pretty good trend: They didn't like him 8 months ago and they sure as hell don't now. Michigan isn't really any better, save for that 1-2 month stretch half over half a year ago. Their average is still +10pts, so same issue as Wisconsin. In addition to that, demographic shifts are continuing to shrink the working class white voter base in these states, and minority turnout & population growth will again help hinder Republican success in both of these states.

This seems to be a common case of Trumpitis, where people suffer from possible fever-induced delusions that Trump is an actual viable candidate who can go more than 5 minutes without offending someone, lying or switching positions.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:18 AM »

Trump polls terribly in Wisconsin and Michigan. He almost always has. Look at Wisconsin's: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton-5659.html

Sure, one or two early polls aren't worth worrying over, on their own, but that many polls taken since his campaign picked up steam showing such steep losses shows a pretty good trend: They didn't like him 8 months ago and they sure as hell don't now. Michigan isn't really any better, save for that 1-2 month stretch half over half a year ago. Their average is still +10pts, so same issue as Wisconsin. In addition to that, demographic shifts are continuing to shrink the working class white voter base in these states, and minority turnout & population growth will again help hinder Republican success in both of these states.

This seems to be a common case of Trumpitis, where people suffer from possible fever-induced delusions that Trump is an actual viable candidate who can go more than 5 minutes without offending someone, lying or switching positions.

I agree that Wisconsin is a bad fit for Trump - the WoW counties are about as anti-Trump as you can get outside of Mormon country.  I do think conflating Michigan and Wisconsin is wrong, though.

Keep in mind, if Wisconsin and Michigan vote at the same margin, that would almost certainly mean Michigan *trended* Republican.  Michigan is a tougher battle for Republicans because Democrats have a bigger built-in advantage there than in Wisconsin, but I think Trump will do well relative to other Republicans in Michigan.  I'd have to see polls post Trump-surge (after Indiana primary) to see where he is in Michigan then, but I think Trump will be able to keep the margin of loss down to 5-7% or so, assuming the national margins have improved (as is reflected in recent polling).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »

Romney was a very poor fit for working class voters. He is the antithesis of Trump, Trump being a real-estate developer and the ultimate job creator, and Romney being a vulture capitalist (Gordon Gekko) and job destroyer.

There will also be some traditionally Dem working class voters switching to Trump and their votes count twice for the purpose of reducing the margin.

If the popular vote margin became closer (within one point or so - as is generally expected of this election), Trump would be in a very good position to even win Michigan, while Ohio and Pennsylvania would be almost guaranteed.

This is true, but I do think there will be some Romney -> Hillary shifts among white suburban voters, especially in the wealthier Detroit suburbs.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »

Defend hard in these states and get the turnout up in Florida and it will be smoooooooth sailing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 02:06:23 AM »

I agree that Wisconsin is a bad fit for Trump - the WoW counties are about as anti-Trump as you can get outside of Mormon country.  I do think conflating Michigan and Wisconsin is wrong, though.

Keep in mind, if Wisconsin and Michigan vote at the same margin, that would almost certainly mean Michigan *trended* Republican.  Michigan is a tougher battle for Republicans because Democrats have a bigger built-in advantage there than in Wisconsin, but I think Trump will do well relative to other Republicans in Michigan.  I'd have to see polls post Trump-surge (after Indiana primary) to see where he is in Michigan then, but I think Trump will be able to keep the margin of loss down to 5-7% or so, assuming the national margins have improved (as is reflected in recent polling).

Looking at the data alone for Michigan, it seems the best for Trump compared to Wisconsin, but still don't think that's saying much. However, Trump at least polled tied/+ twice there, even if by the same pollster. Demographic changes definitely gives MI an edge over WI, at least for the 2012-2016 period.

Trump is going to need to really fight (no being cheap this time, either) for these states. It's not going to be easy, even if he really begins to unload the insults and conspiracies. He's screwing up / making his own image problems at a faster rate right now than Clinton, and if this circus of his drags on, he'll struggle just to keep up with Hillary as he continues trying to "downgrade" her image & appeal. She is well-known and well-defined, so I don't suspect it'll be a walk in the park for him.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 02:37:23 AM »

Looking at the data alone for Michigan, it seems the best for Trump compared to Wisconsin, but still don't think that's saying much. However, Trump at least polled tied/+ twice there, even if by the same pollster. Demographic changes definitely gives MI an edge over WI, at least for the 2012-2016 period.

Trump is going to need to really fight (no being cheap this time, either) for these states. It's not going to be easy, even if he really begins to unload the insults and conspiracies. He's screwing up / making his own image problems at a faster rate right now than Clinton, and if this circus of his drags on, he'll struggle just to keep up with Hillary as he continues trying to "downgrade" her image & appeal. She is well-known and well-defined, so I don't suspect it'll be a walk in the park for him.

OK, I think we agree then.  Unlike other supporters of Mr. Trump, I'm not particularly optimistic about November, though I do give Trump a better shot than he had on May 4.  The real issue in my mind for Trump is being able to hold the Romney coalition while expanding the base enough to win.  It will be tough sledding, but anything can happen.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 05:18:39 AM »

Probably creating a safety net early on.

Retain Michigan, Wisconsin,Pennsylvania and New Hampshire ; win Virginia and Nevada and that's it.

270 in the bag.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 05:45:57 AM »

Synder and Flint Water issues has helped Dems immensely in Rust Belt.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »

Great news! Usually it is the Republicans rushing to defend red states.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »

Ljube, you are out of your goddamn mind.
Is this going to be the new "Angry New Hampshire Women" thing?
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »

This is exactly the battleground.

The election will be decided in the the middle-west. (OH,PA,IA;MI and WI)

It is Clintons to lose it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies