The Big Three US Airlines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:56:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Big Three US Airlines
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of these airlines
American FA

Delta FA

United FA

All FA when they are cheap

American HA

Delta HA

United HA

All HA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: The Big Three US Airlines  (Read 869 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

They control 80+% of the market in this country, so the odds are that you probably had to pick one of these three "spoke-and-hub" airlines to get anywhere.

So where to do you stand? With Does Everything Lead To Atlanta Air Lines? With American Airlines? Or with United?  Are they all good when they are the cheapest? Or are they all awful because of the cramped confines?

Which is it?

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »

All pretty HA, especially Delta and United.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »

United is probably my least favorite airline. The others are okay. Delta's pretty good for overseas flights.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 11:55:52 AM by Santander »

DL is probably the best by a small margin when you consider its hubs (specifically MSP, SLC, DTW), Sky Clubs and international business class product. I used to be a UA 1K before the merger and Smisek destroyed the airline, and then I ran away to AA. CO's CLE hub was absolutely fantastic though, and had the best crew in the business other than perhaps the NRT Interport crews. AA's MD-80s are ancient, but they're great planes, and I'm satisfied enough with AA.

Right now, DL > AA > UA, even if I've logged more miles on UA than DL+AA combined.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

United works well enough for me being based in Chicago. Airlines in general just kind of suck.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »

I've never flown Delta, but United p*&sed me off to the point of vowing never to fly by them again (pity they have that grip on San Francisco).

That leaves American by default, and that's without mentioning its hub operation in Charlotte.

That said, I usually seek alternates to any of these three where I can.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »

The last time I flew was in the early days of deregulation when airlines were still actually good.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »

I've enjoyed both my recent trips on Delta (JFK-SLC, CAK-ATL), with nice food. American isn't bad, it's just OK. United is only ok on less popular routes, where there are less people on the flight. Unfortunately, they have a hold on Cleveland Airport. I personally prefer Delta over any other US based airline.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »

DL is probably the best by a small margin when you consider its hubs (specifically MSP, SLC, DTW), Sky Clubs and international business class product. I used to be a UA 1K before the merger and Smisek destroyed the airline, and then I ran away to AA. CO's CLE hub was absolutely fantastic though, and had the best crew in the business other than perhaps the NRT Interport crews. AA's MD-80s are ancient, but they're great planes, and I'm satisfied enough with AA.

Right now, DL > AA > UA, even if I've logged more miles on UA than DL+AA combined.
Please don't refer to services as a "product" as if it can be consumed like a milkshake.

Just a pet peeve of mine.  Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »

I pay extra just to avoid them when flying international.  

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »

Jet Blue is the best airline.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 06:36:48 PM by L.D. Smith »

That'll probably be true next year when Virgin America merges with Alaska, but for now, they quite obviously win.

I pay extra just to avoid them when flying international.  

Smart, just like the use of Southwest, Virgin, or JetBlue domestically is smart.

"United works well enough for me being based in Chicago. Airlines in general just kind of suck."

American also has a large Chicago operation, depending on whether I'm flying in/out of Roanoke or Charlottesville, I use one or the other and the American side of things is much more tolerable. But that's not saying much
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »

They would be better off if we got rid of the Open Skies agreement with the Middle East.  The government subsidized Middle Eastern carriers are hurting competition and engaging in anti-competitive behavior.
dax00

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »

I'm currently boycotting American, Delta, and Jetblue, and have told my family and friends to do the same. United is reasonable. My go-to airline is Southwest.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »

I'm currently boycotting American, Delta, and Jetblue, and have told my family and friends to do the same.

May I ask why?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 02:16:22 AM »

They would be better off if we got rid of the Open Skies agreement with the Middle East.  The government subsidized Middle Eastern carriers are hurting competition and engaging in anti-competitive behavior.

Can you explain?

Foreign airlines are not allowed to operate within the United States (they can only fly to US cities from foreign ones and vice versa).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 02:19:22 AM »

Terrible across the board. The most recent round of mergers in the early 2010s (United buying Continental; American buying US Airways) should never have gotten DOJ clearance.

I have the least complaints for Delta, so they are the least HA of the bunch.

United has awful customer service. American's flights are never on time because they're too cheap to replace their 40 year old planes and they're always having to do last-minute maintenance as a result.
dax00

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 03:49:09 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2016, 03:55:51 AM by dax00, the extremely technical and judicious »

I'm currently boycotting American, Delta, and Jetblue, and have told my family and friends to do the same.

May I ask why?
American - because they screwed one of my friends over
Delta - I got accosted by their staff in an extremely rude and condescending manner a couple times
Jetblue - they mistreated one of my other friends and deemed him a security threat lol

It's principle. I do not tolerate mistreatment of any kind, on essentially any level. I get rude customer service - I report them. Bad waiter/waitress - no tip. Etc..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies