NV Democratic State Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:32:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  NV Democratic State Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NV Democratic State Convention  (Read 17221 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: May 14, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

The Bernie side is, as I type this, screaming for a recount.  The chairs are calling for order.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »

Hillary also won more alternates, btw.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »

The speaker right now is emphasizing that the credentials report is "preliminary", with the final report to come later.  Bernie side is still screaming and chanting.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

Btw, cross-posted from a different thread, and from before the credentials report:

I'm at the NV Dem convention right now, and state party chairwoman Roberta Lange just announced that she agreed the caucus system is outdated and fraught with massive problems.  She and the state party will be looking at moving toward a state-funded primary (crowd went wild) or "massively reforming" the party-funded caucuses (crowd booed).

Glad to see the wind blowing in the right direction.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

I think it is safe to say we have seen the last of Nevada as an early state.

I don't follow.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »

They're still going.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »

There was an announcement a little while ago that a puppy has been found, and the owner should claim it at the Bernie Sanders info kiosk.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »

Oh sh**t they're booing Barbara Boxer now, after she reiterated Bernie's call for civility.

"When you boo me, you're booing Bernie Sanders as well."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »

Nina Turner of Ohio (guest speaker for Bernie) now speaking, and the Clinton side noticeably listening respectfully and clapping her in welcome.  Hmm, slight difference from Barbara Boxer's welcome.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »

Nina Turner: "They keep telling us about math.  Well, I got some math of my own."

^ Bernie Sanders campaign in a nutshell.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »

The final count should be coming down soon according to some paid $hill on reddit.

Yeah, we're just sitting around waiting for that sh[inks]show to ensue.

In other news, im really hungry and forgot to bring any food. Cry
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 04:51:59 PM by Joe Republic »

"Final" credential report (before final realignments):

Hillary 1693
Bernie 1662
Uncommitted (lol) 4
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 04:44:30 PM by Joe Republic »

The margin narrowed significantly once Bernie's core demographic rolled out of bed and showed up at the latest possible time.

They announced the final total immediately before announcing the break for lunch, meaning that the cries of disappointment were drowned out by the stampede out of the hall to the nearby food court.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »

I just overheard a woman screaming that Bernie has been winning 60% of the primary vote, so this is all a huge injustice and a fix.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »

I can safely say that Shadows' version of events is completely made up.  But what do I know, I'm just sitting here in the convention while he's in India so I'm sure he has a better handle on what's going on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »

Roberta Gustave Lange, a Clinton supporter and Chair of the Democratic State Party, changed the rules without a 2/3rds majority quorum

Meanwhile, what happened in actual reality is that a rules committee of 3 Hillary supporters and 3 Bernie supporters jointly created the temporary rules for the convention some time ago.  The vote to change the temporary rules to some other set of permanent rules required a 2/3 majority, which of course failed, so the temporary rules became permanent.

Please don't believe what you read on r/Sandersforpresident
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

Sanders supporters were angry over a voice vote that adopted a set of temporary convention rules as the permanent rules, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279930-nevada-dem-convention-devolves-into-chaos

And as I told you, as somebody in the same room when it happened, changing the rules to whatever the Bernie campaign wanted them changed to required a 2/3 vote.  The voice vote sounded pretty evenly divided to me, so it failed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »

"Shortly."  We're all just sitting around waiting.

There's still 2 uncommitted delegates!  Attention seekers.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 05:58:22 PM by Joe Republic »

What you think is a righteous outcome doesn't justify a blatant affront to democracy. They voted to change the rules 30 minutes before scheduled, before registration was complete, and had stuff "carry" without 2/3 of the voice vote.

Huh?  The motion to pass the convention rules wasn't given a specific scheduled time.  I have the agenda on my lap right now; the vote was planned to take place between 10-12, and was done about 10.30.  Are you privy to more information than the rest of us delegates actually sitting here in the convention?

And I already addressed your misunderstanding of the 2/3 voice vote.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »

We've now begun the arduous task of electing the party's executive committee, then the various categories of national delegates.

The final delegate count has been delayed because there were still 2 attention whores uncommitted delegates, who must realign to one of the two candidates.  They were given half an hour to do so, otherwise they will be taken out back and shot*.

Party bylaw 175b-1A.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »

Sanders supporters were angry over a voice vote that adopted a set of temporary convention rules as the permanent rules, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279930-nevada-dem-convention-devolves-into-chaos

Yeah, they lost the voice vote since they are in the minority. Not hard to figure out.

It was before all the delegates are seated. Congrats on helping Trump by pissing off Bernie supporters  .

The vote took place half an hour after the deadline for delegates to join the line to register for their credentials.  There were barely any lines this time (unlike the county convention, this entire convention has been run relatively efficiently).  So why would it take more than thirty minutes for Bernie delegates to register and take their seats?

Plus, nobody has anything close to a 2/3 majority in here, so I've no idea what you're complaining about.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »

Uh, no, the vote to change the temporary rules into whatever the Bernie side wanted to change them to required a 2/3 vote.  Where are you getting your facts from?  I'm literally sitting here in the convention right now.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »

Uh, no, the vote to change the temporary rules into whatever the Bernie side wanted to change them to required a 2/3 vote.  Where are you getting your facts from?  I'm literally sitting here in the convention right now.

What? It was the Hillary side that had the rules changed.

Wrong again.  The temporary rules were drawn up by a committee of 3 Hillary supporters and 3 Bernie supporters.

That wasn't good enough for the Bernie side, who wanted to change them to who knows what else, but needed a 2/3 majority to do so.  They failed, obviously, so the temporary rules were adopted as permanent.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »

Um, do you have something more than a tweet?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »

DC (Shadow) US Senator Paul Strauss is now speaking, randomly enough.  About DC statehood of course.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies