"Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  "Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism  (Read 687 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »

So I've been researching the definitions of these two terms on the Internet (always a dangerous thing Tongue) and I was curious about the history of the terms "Low Church" and "Evangelical" within the Anglican/Episcopalian tradition.

As I understand it, at various points in history, "Low Church" has been used as a synonym or equivalent of the terms "Latitudinarian," "Evangelical", or simply Anglican/Episcopalian churches that emphasize simplistic styles of worship and/or the Protestant (especially Reformed) aspects of the Anglican tradition.
However, I am not sure that the above is necessarily correct; I suppose it depends on the time and place that we're talking about.

Anyone else here have any insights on this topic?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »

I was raised an Episcopalian in the 60's and 70's, and I was very active as an acolyte in the church. We moved a number of times, so I got to experience both "high church" and "low church" as it was understood at that time.

High churches used services that included all the formal elements. The liturgy always followed the Book of Common Prayer. Masses were held on a daily basis in the AM, even though attendance was small. The activities of the priest and other officiants during the service had a very specific ritual.

Low churches used services that lacked some of the formality. Modern language liturgies could be used. Masses were less frequent, sometimes only once a month. The service itself had less reliance on the ritual though many parts were still there.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

These phrases have more concrete meaning outside of the US. Evangelicalism has always been a major component of Anglicanism outside the US, but it almost disappeared from the PEC from the early 19th century to the 1960's. It might also be helpful to recognize in the Episcopal Church that there were/are theologically conservative strains that aren't best described as evangelical or Anglo-Catholic, but just traditionalist and middle of the road in worship style.

In the US the terms High Church and Low Church almost exclusively refer to worship styles (though typically evangelicals are low and Anglo-Catholics of both liberal and conservative varieties are high). Outside the US the terms High and Low are more expressly tied to Evangelical or Anglo-Catholic, with latitudinarians/liberals/middle-church types described as Broad Church.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies