"Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:45:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Low Church" vs. "Evangelical" within the context of Anglicanism/Episcpalianism  (Read 696 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »

I was raised an Episcopalian in the 60's and 70's, and I was very active as an acolyte in the church. We moved a number of times, so I got to experience both "high church" and "low church" as it was understood at that time.

High churches used services that included all the formal elements. The liturgy always followed the Book of Common Prayer. Masses were held on a daily basis in the AM, even though attendance was small. The activities of the priest and other officiants during the service had a very specific ritual.

Low churches used services that lacked some of the formality. Modern language liturgies could be used. Masses were less frequent, sometimes only once a month. The service itself had less reliance on the ritual though many parts were still there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies