Character education
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:33:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Character education
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Would you have supported this bill? (see link below)
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Character education  (Read 6835 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »

Why, States, should I respect someone for simply being older than me? I give due respect to those who I believe deserve it. But I will not respect someone like Opebo soley because they are older, and thus "more wise" than me. I judge people on their intellect, virtue, morals, and wiseness. I believe that respecting people just because of their age is taking the easy way out of life.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »

Why, States, should I respect someone for simply being older than me? I give due respect to those who I believe deserve it. But I will not respect someone like Opebo soley because they are older, and thus "more wise" than me. I judge people on their intellect, virtue, morals, and wiseness. I believe that respecting people just because of their age is taking the easy way out of life.

Well, it really doesnt apply to 15-16 year olds as much as it does to 5-10 year olds.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 09:14:03 PM »

Um, Jake has a picture of Karimov on his wall?

Obviously they didn't have message boards in 1944, and even if they did, FDR probably wouldn't be on one. If you can think of a better parallel to profile picture I would like to hear it.

I have signatures turned off, so I didn't know what you were talking about.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 09:15:26 PM »

I vote "no." If students said "yes sir" to me all day, I think I'd puke.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 09:18:12 PM »

Obviously they didn't have message boards in 1944, and even if they did, FDR probably wouldn't be on one. If you can think of a better parallel to profile picture I would like to hear it.

Nevermind then. Didn't mean to hijack the topic. Suffice it to say I don't understand why people nitpick at tiny little things which are barely about (or arent' really about) 'morality' and act all indignant when they willfully disregard the gargantuan moral issues affecting the world.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

Nevermind then. Didn't mean to hijack the topic. Suffice it to say I don't understand why people nitpick at tiny little things which are barely about (or arent' really about) 'morality' and act all indignant when they willfully disregard the gargantuan moral issues affecting the world.

Because respect for your elders is the foundation of a polite society.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 09:24:46 PM »

That doesn't really answer the question.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 09:41:12 PM »

It's obviously impolite not referring to people by their proper names/titles, but politeness shouldn't have to be enforced. It should be taught by parents at home, not in schools. If you don't know how to address your professor properly by the time you're in college, I don't know what to say - it's your parents' fault most likely, not the grade schools'.

True enough and I agree. But I always use sir and ma'am, on a day to day basis.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005, 05:36:10 AM »

It's obviously impolite not referring to people by their proper names/titles, but politeness shouldn't have to be enforced. It should be taught by parents at home, not in schools. If you don't know how to address your professor properly by the time you're in college, I don't know what to say - it's your parents' fault most likely, not the grade schools'.

True enough and I agree. But I always use sir and ma'am, on a day to day basis.

The problem with that is that I find many people think you are being sardonic. If I called my teachers "sir" or "ma'am," they would probably suspect I was either being a wiseass or am ridiculously formal.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 09:31:25 AM »

Well said, Alcon.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 10:58:48 AM »

Respect for adults should be earned when it comes to children? I think not. Respect for adults is EXPECTED. At least in this household it is.

So, you expect your kids to respect Michael Jackson?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »

Respect for adults should be earned when it comes to children? I think not. Respect for adults is EXPECTED. At least in this household it is.

Most good parents would not let their children spend time with a animal like him.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2005, 11:12:17 AM »

Most good parents would not let their children spend time with a animal like him.

Still, according to your logiv, he's an adut, so they most respect him.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 11:26:54 AM »

Hah, yeah supporting allies is consistent with wanting to do what the leader of that country does. Okay, Nice work there

If you support him in power, then you have to face the consequences of that support. Period.

So having a picture of him in my signature means I support what he does. Okay, by the same token, you showing a Democratic avatar means you support all of their policies.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »

Care to elaborate?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2005, 02:00:49 PM by nclib »

"Sir" or "Madam" is certainly not necessary. However, any half-decent student would use "Mr.," "Mrs.," or "Miss."

I agree, though it still shouldn't be required.

So kids should be allowed to address their teachers by first names without their permission? This is the moral decay of this nation right here.

A teacher can require it in their own classroom, but the state shouldn't be able to require it in all schools.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 01:56:54 PM »

"Sir" or "Madam" is certainly not necessary. However, any half-decent student would use "Mr.," "Mrs.," or "Miss."
So kids should be allowed to address their teachers by first names without their permission? This is the moral decay of this nation right here.
A teacher can require it in their own classroom, but the state shouldn't be able to require it everywhere.
I don't think that the intention is to require it everywhere - only in school.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2005, 03:26:25 PM by nclib »

A teacher can require it in their own classroom, but the state shouldn't be able to require it everywhere.
I don't think that the intention is to require it everywhere - only in school.

I should have said 'A teacher can require it in their own classroom, but the state shouldn't be able to require it in all schools.'
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 03:04:29 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Respect for your elders generally leads to a respect for others later on in life. Do you think a child who sasses his grandmother or other family member and does "what they feel" is going to have much respect for other human beings as they get older? I am a firm believer in "spare the rod; spoil the child".
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 03:31:43 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Respect for your elders generally leads to a respect for others later on in life. Do you think a child who sasses his grandmother or other family member and does "what they feel" is going to have much respect for other human beings as they get older? I am a firm believer in "spare the rod; spoil the child".

Maybe, maybe not. It is interesting to note that since the 1950s the importance of respecting your elders has decreased and respect for human rights (blacks, women, gays, etc.) has increased.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2005, 03:41:20 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Maybe, maybe not. It is interesting to note that since the 1950s the importance of respecting your elders has decreased and respect for human rights (blacks, women, gays, etc.) has increased.

Respecting your elders and respecting other races can't go hand in hand? You must have never spent anytime in the black community, especially in the south.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 03:53:05 PM »

In my schools, it was generally expected that teachers were called "Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss (last name)" by the students, partly for respect and partly to establish the teacher as the man or woman who is in charge in the classroom.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with that; it's not exactly asking a whole lot, and it's just nice to the teachers.

I do, however, think that the words "sir" or "ma'am" are really kind of out of place in the modern world.  I don't know of anyone, young or old, who uses the terms "sir" or "ma'am" in a serious context.  If you're going to have the kids be respectful, at least make them be respectful in a way that actually exists in the real world.  Let's just keep it at "Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss (last name)"; if we take it too far, people are going to be looking at these kids very strangely after they get out of school.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »

I do, however, think that the words "sir" or "ma'am" are really kind of out of place in the modern world.  I don't know of anyone, young or old, who uses the terms "sir" or "ma'am" in a serious context.  If you're going to have the kids be respectful, at least make them be respectful in a way that actually exists in the real world.  Let's just keep it at "Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss (last name)"; if we take it too far, people are going to be looking at these kids very strangely after they get out of school.

Maybe in Canada but certainly not here. Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »

Quote from article:

<<She also believes that if students are taught to show respect for teachers, they will begin to extend similar courtesy to their peers, thus reducing school fights.>>

Why not directly encourage respect for other students? For example, anti-bullying programs need to be used more often.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2005, 04:04:13 PM »

Maybe in Canada but certainly not here. Smiley

I can't say I've ever heard an American say "sir" or "ma'am" either, but maybe I've just been seeing the wrong people.

Actually, come to think of it, guys behind cash registers routinely say that in both countries, but I kinda wish they wouldn't.  It always makes me feel weird.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies