Will Trump get more newspaper endorsements than Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:02:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump get more newspaper endorsements than Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Trump get more newspaper endorsements than Romney?  (Read 697 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »

Newspapers loved Romney. In fact, in every presidential election going back for years and years, the Republican nominee wins a majority of newspaper endorsements (even when the GOP loses the election handily).

But will Donald Trump get more newspaper endorsements than Romney got in 2012? I know there's a perception that newspapers represent the "uptown GOP" that probably wouldn't be as keen on supporting a reality show candidacy, but I think Trump will get about as many newspaper endorsements as Romney did.

Let's face it, The Media loves the guy.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »

Of course. White Power Weekly would be really inclined to go Trump's way.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 11:41:37 PM by Ronnie »

I honestly imagine that some normally loyal Republican newspapers will defect and endorse Clinton this cycle.  I mean, the guy is just totally unfit to be president.  
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »

I honestly imagine that some previously loyal Republican newspapers will defect and endorse Clinton this cycle.  I mean, the guy is just totally unfit to be president. 

It's not as if Bush was really very fit, but they endorsed him anyway. But at least Bush had some experience as a public official (even if he accomplished nothing positive).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:48:56 PM »

The media seems much more pro Democratic nominee than 4 years ago. Probably because if you're Wall Street or the military industrial complex, it makes since to be a Romney and Hillary voter. The other thing working against this statistic is that there are fewer newspapers than 4 years ago.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:35 PM »

The media seems much more pro Democratic nominee than 4 years ago. Probably because if you're Wall Street or the military industrial complex, it makes since to be a Romney and Hillary voter. The other thing working against this statistic is that there are fewer newspapers than 4 years ago.

Hillary is the media's 5th choice. They really, really wanted Rubio bad, but would've settled for Jeb or Kasich. They also desperately wanted Biden.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 12:04:58 AM »

I honestly imagine that some previously loyal Republican newspapers will defect and endorse Clinton this cycle.  I mean, the guy is just totally unfit to be president. 

It's not as if Bush was really very fit, but they endorsed him anyway. But at least Bush had some experience as a public official (even if he accomplished nothing positive).

No way.   Bush was a devastatingly awful president on every single dimension, but he was a psychologically healthy, intelligent, empathetic man with significant governing experience and some degree of knowledge about American politics.  I don't think you can really say any of those last five about TRUMP.  Which is frightening to think about.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 12:18:13 AM »

Hillary is the media's 5th choice. They really, really wanted Rubio bad, but would've settled for Jeb or Kasich. They also desperately wanted Biden.

Whatever their ranking of Hillary is, it's much higher than Bernie or Trump.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »

Whatever their ranking of Hillary is, it's much higher than Bernie or Trump.

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »

Newspapers loved Romney. In fact, in every presidential election going back for years and years, the Republican nominee wins a majority of newspaper endorsements (even when the GOP loses the election handily).

But will Donald Trump get more newspaper endorsements than Romney got in 2012? I know there's a perception that newspapers represent the "uptown GOP" that probably wouldn't be as keen on supporting a reality show candidacy, but I think Trump will get about as many newspaper endorsements as Romney did.

Let's face it, The Media loves the guy.

Trump will get many newspaper endorsements, but they're not going to be as important as they've been in the past. So it really doesn't matter whether he gets as many as Romney did in 2012. Trump will definitely be getting enough media coverage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies