To the people hating on "racist", self-interest ignoring West Virginia...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:32:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  To the people hating on "racist", self-interest ignoring West Virginia...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: To the people hating on "racist", self-interest ignoring West Virginia...  (Read 2335 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:02:55 PM »

So, all of that knuckle-draggin' poor white trash in West Virginia are just awful racists who vote against candidates because they're racists, right?

A solid majority of working class whites (outside of the South) are loyal Democrats, and most have more liberal views in general (but particularly on economic issues) than middle and upper class whites (which are the bulk of this forum's posters, so...).

This might be true if you set the income level low enough - it really depends on what constitutes "working class" - but even among the $50k and less crowd, whites are quite surprising in some states.

And holy crap: look at those "white working class" states that are supposedly voting said way because of racism. Look at West Virginia. Of course Atlas doesn't get it:

But I guess all of those cultured middle-class and upper-class whites in West Virginia are just voting their wallets, are totally not racist, and shouldn't be blamed at all for recent trends (despite making up a majority of voters when they're only 30% of workers nationally and definitely even less in WV)?

Roll Eyes
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:10:26 PM »

who care
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »

West Virginians. They are actually pretty good peeps, when they aren't lynching gays.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »

Griff you are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »

Reading this makes my head hurt. If we're going to talk about this s, can we just do it without the clever sarcasm?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »

The screaming of "racist" and "sexist" has now reached a point that they can effectively be ignored.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:15:08 PM »

My experience has been that rich whites are much more racist than poor whites. That's based on what I see in suburban Cincinnati, where the conservative base is mostly made up of people with a lot of money who try to act like they're smarter than everyone else, but aren't really.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:19:20 PM »

weeaboo that who
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »

This actually matches up exactly with what I said. lol

This thread is ironic, because people are angry about me attacking "working class whites" when I attack racist hicks in West Virginia. So really, you guys are the ones implicitly assuming that all working class whites = racist hicks, not me.

Why bring class/culture into it with "hicks"?  Why not just leave it at "racist", to separate it out from the other factors?

Class has nothing to do with it. I'm sure there's lots of fairly well off racist hicks in West Virginia (and other places.)
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »

My experience has been that rich whites are much more racist than poor whites. That's based on what I see in suburban Cincinnati, where the conservative base is mostly made up of people with a lot of money who try to act like they're smarter than everyone else, but aren't really.

See also: Atlas Forum
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 11:22:51 PM »

Oh, and Oklahoma while we're at it (see second map; 40% Obama for <$50k versus 24% for >$50k)!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 11:25:04 PM »

Of course there are plenty of perfectly reasonable people in West Virginia. The angry reactionary ones are in the minority, but there are enough of them to have a lot of power in the state, unfortunately.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »

Thank you for posting the facts. People who casually disparage poor, innocent whites in flyover country as terrible, racist people seriously damage the Democratic Party. I've been called far more racial epithets by minorities when I lived in New York and New Jersey than I have by whites while living in Indiana and Kentucky.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 01:09:15 AM »

The screaming of "racist" and "sexist" has now reached a point that they can effectively be ignored.

People like you decided that soon after birth.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:47 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2016, 01:46:50 AM by shua »

Those in WV making 50K or above have long voted Republican on the presidential level, haven't they?

The difference is that low income voters moved from solid D to split, especially in a shift in the Coal region of the South. This shift which began before Obama, but accelerated in 2012.

Also, as can be determined from the exit poll, lower income voters do not vote at nearly as high a rate as mid-high income voters in WV.  A few decades ago, voting from this demographic was much more common.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:13 AM »

White Voters in Pennsylvania are so, so racist.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »

White Voters in Pennsylvania are so, so racist.

Blame the hicks in the West and the T. Wink
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 03:12:41 AM »

All right, so can we start calling Pennsylvania and New Mexico racist now?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:20 AM »

Those in WV making 50K or above have long voted Republican on the presidential level, haven't they?

The difference is that low income voters moved from solid D to split, especially in a shift in the Coal region of the South. This shift which began before Obama, but accelerated in 2012.

Also, as can be determined from the exit poll, lower income voters do not vote at nearly as high a rate as mid-high income voters in WV.  A few decades ago, voting from this demographic was much more common.

Yes. There are still a lot of low income and working class white voters who vote Dem.
However, the shift of these voters to the Pubs will accelerate with Trump.

If Trump can manage not to lose the edge the Pubs normally have with the well-off people, he will win the election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 03:17:03 AM »

All right, so can we start calling Pennsylvania and New Mexico racist now?

Not that it's relevant, but whites in PA went for McCain by 3. Whites in WV went for McCain by 16.

Anyway, of course there are hicks in PA, and in many other states as well. The reason I see WV unfavorably is because it's so concentrated. WV definitely has the highest percentage of hicks per capita of any state.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »

People like you decided that soon after birth.

So I'm just curious: what race am I, and what makes you think my views were formed soon after birth? What are folks to make of people who start sentences with "people like you", who have no idea who they're talking to? Am I white, black, or brown? Ethnically, am I Chinese, Mexican, Inuit, Hawaiian, or Irish? (Yes, my ethnicity is in that list, in case you're interested). People like me will continue to challenge people like you, because people like you represent a good portion of what the problem is.
BundouYMB

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »

If this post is a rebuttal to anyone or anything, it's a rebuttal to the people who constantly try to excuse Appalachia's terribleness by making out like literally everyone there is an impoverished, unemployed ex-coal miner (as if that somehow excuses WV's myriad of other problems, including racism, anyways) and we just need to have sympathy for them, ect.

This is definitely not a rebuttal to IceSpear, who, as he's already said, already knew this and was not making fun of poor people when he was making fun of WV.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

Has it occurred to anyone that "whites" making more than $50000 voted for McCain because they wanted to keep their money and not because of racism?
bumpercrop
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »

My theory is that those people are lying about their income in the exit poll. No way 50% of white in WV were making more than 50k in 2008.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »

If this post is a rebuttal to anyone or anything, it's a rebuttal to the people who constantly try to excuse Appalachia's terribleness by making out like literally everyone there is an impoverished, unemployed ex-coal miner (as if that somehow excuses WV's myriad of other problems, including racism, anyways) and we just need to have sympathy for them, ect.

This is definitely not a rebuttal to IceSpear, who, as he's already said, already knew this and was not making fun of poor people when he was making fun of WV.

Aren't you the one who used Sanders' win of Oklahoma as an argument that all his supporters are racist?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies