Hillary Clinton says she’ll put Bill in charge of economic revitalization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:05:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Clinton says she’ll put Bill in charge of economic revitalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton says she’ll put Bill in charge of economic revitalization  (Read 2464 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:35:27 PM »

Seems like a rather large portfolio:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bill-clinton-charge-revitalizing-economy-hillary-clinton/story?id=39132832

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

Usually you shouldn't mean William Jefferson "Kyoto" Clinton to coal voters. The Kyoto Protocol started the trend against Democrats, most notably in 2000.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »

Usually you shouldn't mean William Jefferson "Kyoto" Clinton to coal voters. The Kyoto Protocol started the trend against Democrats, most notably in 2000.
lol
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »

Isn't it a bit odd to be using the term "revitalize" when talking about the economy when the sitting president is in your party?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »

Isn't it a bit odd to be using the term "revitalize" when talking about the economy when the sitting president is in your party?

The optics aren't great, but it's not like Obama didn't want to keep pushing new programs and ideas to speed up the recovery and reach out elsewhere. We all know what happened after the 2010 midterms.

Of course, none of this matters unless it can be fully explained to Americans in a tweet-sized sentence.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:35 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2016, 11:15:36 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The guy who gave us NAFTA, repeal of Glass Steagall, welfare reform, and telecommunications deregulation? HELL NO!

At least Monica Lewinsky saved Social Security.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2004/10/30/how-monica-lewinsky-saved-social-security/

Bill needs to spend more time hanging out with his pedophile buddies, and less time destroying this country.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »

The guy who gave us NAFTA, repeal of Glass Steagall, welfare reform, and telecommunications deregulation? HELL NO!

http://www.counterpunch.org/2004/10/30/how-monica-lewinsky-saved-social-security/

Bill needs to spend more time hanging out with his pedophile buddies, and less time destroying this country.

---------------

Take some time off from this forum.  It looks like you need it. 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:26:59 AM »

Already throwing Obama under the bus I see.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:21 AM »

---------------

Take some time off from this forum.  It looks like you need it. 

Motion seconded.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 01:18:20 AM »

Some questionable trade decisions aside, Bill's administration did an amazing job with the economy so I really do like this. My parents have a high opinion of Bill regardless of the scandal because the 90's were actually pretty good years.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »

Some questionable trade decisions aside, Bill's administration did an amazing job with the economy so I really do like this. My parents have a high opinion of Bill regardless of the scandal because the 90's were actually pretty good years.

Yep.  Jeb likes to talk about 4% growth and everyone makes fun of him because it's so pie in the sky (we're around 2-2.5% growth annually under Obama, excluding the -2% growth in 2009) but Clinton's numbers were pretty consistently above 4%.  I think his worst year was 2.7%, still on par with Obama's best.

Reagan was also pretty good, around 3-4% notwithstanding the -2% of the 1982 recession and the 7% of the 1984 bounce-back.

W had three years in the 1s, a few 2-3 years in the mid-2000s and the horror of 2008-2009.
HW's took us from the high 3s to 1s and negative numbers.
No wonder nobody trusted Jeb lol
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »

I thought she was running on Obama's record and the economy was good. Why does it need to be 'revitalized'?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 01:47:53 AM »

I thought she was running on Obama's record and the economy was good. Why does it need to be 'revitalized'?

Why don't you just say that you support TRUMP and get over with it?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 01:48:29 AM »

Are Sanders people only capable of seeing the world in black and white or do you realize how stupid your question is and just couldn't resist the little verbal manipulation dig on Clinton?

The economy was at a 0/10 when Obama came into office.  Now it's at about a 6 or 7/10.  It's not bad and he did a great job getting it there but 9/10 would be better.  It's the same way HW's economy was about a 4/10 and Clinton took it to 9/10.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 02:01:13 AM »

Yuck, the Clinton administration was horrible with NAFTA, deregulation and welfare reform and a bunch of republican initatives. I'd rather have TRUMP. Bill Clinton shouldn't be in charge of anything.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:18 AM »

Bill was way more competent with a budget than, say, Reagan or gwb, but was the economic boom of the 90s really his fault?  I mean, did he cause the dot-com boom?

One thing that for sure he played a major role in causing (along with repubs) was the devastating economic crisis of 07-08 that Obama had to be charged with cleaning up.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 02:35:55 AM »

This is going to play right into Trump's hands on trade.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 02:38:25 AM »

Yep.  Jeb likes to talk about 4% growth and everyone makes fun of him because it's so pie in the sky (we're around 2-2.5% growth annually under Obama, excluding the -2% growth in 2009) but Clinton's numbers were pretty consistently above 4%.  I think his worst year was 2.7%, still on par with Obama's best.

Reagan was also pretty good, around 3-4% notwithstanding the -2% of the 1982 recession and the 7% of the 1984 bounce-back.

W had three years in the 1s, a few 2-3 years in the mid-2000s and the horror of 2008-2009.

Exactly - what a lot of the establishment GOP failed to recognize is that Americans really don't buy the traditional GOP economic orthodoxy - deregulation, across-the-board tax cuts, and free trade - after the Bush 2 years.  I tend to think that those policies were good in the 1980's but have outlived their shelf life.  Bush needed to change course at some point, and it's regrettable he didn't.  I'm not a fan of everything Trump does, but I do think that restricting immigration, renegotiating trade deals, and taking a softer line on taxes (and supporting financial regulation) is definitely the path the GOP needs to take going forward (though perhaps more pro-immigration).
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:12 AM »

Exactly - what a lot of the establishment GOP failed to recognize is that Americans really don't buy the traditional GOP economic orthodoxy - deregulation, across-the-board tax cuts, and free trade - after the Bush 2 years.  I tend to think that those policies were good in the 1980's but have outlived their shelf life.  Bush needed to change course at some point, and it's regrettable he didn't.  I'm not a fan of everything Trump does, but I do think that restricting immigration, renegotiating trade deals, and taking a softer line on taxes (and supporting financial regulation) is definitely the path the GOP needs to take going forward (though perhaps more pro-immigration).

The problem is the GOP.Donor base wants nothing to do with any of those three things you've mentioned
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »

Yuck, the Clinton administration was horrible with NAFTA, deregulation and welfare reform and a bunch of republican initatives. I'd rather have TRUMP. Bill Clinton shouldn't be in charge of anything.
Yeah, we really don't need NAFTA 2.0 and all that.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »

That, and those policies made more sense in the Reagan years because it was becoming clear that to win the Cold War we needed economic growth at the expense of all else, and Carter was a miserable economic steward and put us in a deep recession.  There was a lot of overregulation and we desperately needed tax reform.  Different times.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

Surely can't Democrats understand it was better to have Bill Clinton leading the economic reforms, than say Dan Quayle, Jack Kemp or Bob Dole?

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »

Surely can't Democrats understand it was better to have Bill Clinton leading the economic reforms, than say Dan Quayle, Jack Kemp or Bob Dole?

Kemp was A+ and doesn't belong in that group
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »

What does that even mean? Bill is going to "revitalize the economy"Huh Does she even think before she speaks?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »

The problem is the GOP.Donor base wants nothing to do with any of those three things you've mentioned

Fortunately the GOP donor base is more irrelevant than ever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies