Hillary Clinton says she値l put Bill in charge of economic revitalization (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:57:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Clinton says she値l put Bill in charge of economic revitalization (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton says she値l put Bill in charge of economic revitalization  (Read 2485 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:18 AM »

Some questionable trade decisions aside, Bill's administration did an amazing job with the economy so I really do like this. My parents have a high opinion of Bill regardless of the scandal because the 90's were actually pretty good years.

Bill was way more competent with a budget than, say, Reagan or gwb, but was the economic boom of the 90s really his fault?  I mean, did he cause the dot-com boom?

One thing that for sure he played a major role in causing (along with repubs) was the devastating economic crisis of 07-08 that Obama had to be charged with cleaning up.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:12 AM »

Some questionable trade decisions aside, Bill's administration did an amazing job with the economy so I really do like this. My parents have a high opinion of Bill regardless of the scandal because the 90's were actually pretty good years.

Yep.  Jeb likes to talk about 4% growth and everyone makes fun of him because it's so pie in the sky (we're around 2-2.5% growth annually under Obama, excluding the -2% growth in 2009) but Clinton's numbers were pretty consistently above 4%.  I think his worst year was 2.7%, still on par with Obama's best.

Reagan was also pretty good, around 3-4% notwithstanding the -2% of the 1982 recession and the 7% of the 1984 bounce-back.

W had three years in the 1s, a few 2-3 years in the mid-2000s and the horror of 2008-2009.
HW's took us from the high 3s to 1s and negative numbers.
No wonder nobody trusted Jeb lol

Exactly - what a lot of the establishment GOP failed to recognize is that Americans really don't buy the traditional GOP economic orthodoxy - deregulation, across-the-board tax cuts, and free trade - after the Bush 2 years.  I tend to think that those policies were good in the 1980's but have outlived their shelf life.  Bush needed to change course at some point, and it's regrettable he didn't.  I'm not a fan of everything Trump does, but I do think that restricting immigration, renegotiating trade deals, and taking a softer line on taxes (and supporting financial regulation) is definitely the path the GOP needs to take going forward (though perhaps more pro-immigration).

The problem is the GOP.Donor base wants nothing to do with any of those three things you've mentioned
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies