The Myth of Donald Trump's Upper-Class Support
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:51:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Myth of Donald Trump's Upper-Class Support
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Myth of Donald Trump's Upper-Class Support  (Read 844 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »

Given the recent fascination on the Forum about the nexus of the white working class and Trump, or lack thereof, and what working class means, some might find this article of interest. Again, in my view, class is a function of culture and values and attitudes, rather than about money, although there is a substantial correlation between the two.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »

This is a really sh!tty and dishonest article. Obviously any article that starts with a lengthy and screed full of ugly generalisations presented as fact ('Liberals want reality to conform to their heroic narratives about life.') is one that is rarely worth taking seriously, and given this I guess no one should be surprised that almost immediately we hit on that old classic of claiming that people who you disagree with/dislike have argued something other than that they actually have:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Has anyone actually argued that Trump primary voters are especially well off? The usual argument (and one that happens to be backed up by, you know, election returns) is that the critical mass behind Trump's victory has been ordinary affluent Republicans living in the outer suburbs, not that Trump's supporters look like Trump. Acknowledging this is not the same as saying that Trump has not done very well amongst those few voters in depressed areas who have voted; it is just a matter of pointing out that you cannot win a Republican primary with those votes alone, and Trump hasn't...

This is a genuinely bizarre statement and one that is not backed up or justified in any meaningful way at all. Instead we just get this strange ramble about the need to take age and other family related factors into account because the 'strain' on income caused by Wholesome Republican Family Values are apparently worse than other 'strains' on income (c.f. renting). This is blinkered ideological bilge.

What planet does this idiot live on? Not that this hypothetical 'typical' Sanders supporter is at all relevant to the sociology of Trump's primary support (and neither is he/she exactly typical of Sanders supporters. Ignoring the almost sweet ignorance of what life is like for young people these days, the assumption that Sanders has not attracted significant support from Americans with the sort of lifestyle this buffoon trumpets is telling).

And note that, surprise surprise, we're seeing the questionable archetype presented earlier being presented as 'typical' of Sanders support (again, how is Sanders' support relevant to Trumps?) and extreme and unusual career paths being presented as typical. It also displays an amusing lack of knowledge as to wage earning patterns in working class households.

But Staten Island is an affluent community. And not only is it affluent but its employment structure leans heavily towards the managerial and the white collar, so we can't even pull the tired old trope of 'affluent workers' out of retirement. Of course Staten Island is also unfashionable and the people that live there speak with an accent, but this doesn't make it a working class community.*

Oh dear.

In fact the people he's talking about look affluent in the city they live in, at least once you ignore the people who work in financial servics etc (who don't interact in the normal economy anyway) but whatever. The fact that they are not rich is irrelevant to the fact that they are affluent.

Abort Abort Abort

It's been obvious all along that this is not serious analysis. It is now clear that it is not serious journalism either.

This is hilarious. Shouldn't have to point out why.

And there follows further ranting that I can't be bothered to read.

*Actually part of Staten Island is working class but its also the part full of minorities.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »

Basically you read a lot of sh!t Torie.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »

I am tired regarding how everyone thinks Trump is the darling of the working class when his supporters are on average wealthier than Clinton or Sanders supporters and the average American.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »

Median household income of Trump voters: $72k
Percentage of Trump voters with college degrees: 44%

Also, the fact that he is the Republican nominee will in and of itself bolster Trump's upper-class support considerably.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »

Basically you read a lot of sh!t Torie.

Hardly surprising.  This is, after all, a man who likes to do fly-by posting of articles from racist blogs and then plays dumb when called out for it.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 11:39:03 PM by Adam T »

My guess would be that the two biggest class of supporters of Rapist Trump are the poorer middle aged working class whites (mostly male) and the wealthier mostly white small business owners, probably predominantly male as well, but not overwhelmingly.

The working class Rapist Trump supporters have been discussed a lot, but from what I've read small business owners in the United States in general tend to be much more right wing that small business owners in most if not all other advanced western democracies.  There are a number of reasons for this and for why they would probably like Trump:

In general
1.Small business owners in general don't like regulations and taxes.   (Makes them generic Republicans)
2.Small business owners like to believe 'they built it' all by themselves probably more than in any other advanced western democracy in the world.

Specifically for Rapist Trump
1.Apparently a lot of American small business owners regard themselves as something like the last bastion of the rugged individualist going out west and a 'cowboy' like Rapist Trump likely appeals to them.

2.Rapist Trump is a businessman and a lot of right wing small business owners believe the government would be 'run properly' if only it were run by a businessman.

3.Rapist Trump's risk taking likely appeals to them greatly.

I've never seen any data that shows that small business owners are strong backers of Rapist Trump, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were his strongest backers in the primaries after the working class middle aged white males, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're his second strongest personal backers now, excluding the Republicans who always vote for the Republican ticket.

For those who dismiss this because of the reference to Rapist Trump as Rapist Trump,  I posted elsewhere that until the election I would only refer to Rapist Trump as Rapist Trump on everything I posted on.  If you don't like it, please read my analysis while omitting the offensive word Trump.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:03:31 AM »

There are many myths being bandied about this cycle. Where Trump's support comes from will be the subject of much study for years. People (myself included) have discounted Trump's chances of winning the GOP nomination; by the time the convention roles around, he will have done that quite handily. People are now discounting Trump's chances of doing well in the GE. Well, there's a lot of time between now and the November election, and I for one will no longer be discounting Trump's chances of doing anything.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »

The petty bourgeoisie tends to be the main base for right-wing populist backlash movements.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies