My Regional Constitution Recommendation + Campaign Schedule 4 Cmtes & House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  My Regional Constitution Recommendation + Campaign Schedule 4 Cmtes & House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Regional Constitution Recommendation + Campaign Schedule 4 Cmtes & House  (Read 514 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »

MY RECOMMENDATION FOR REGIONAL CONSTITUTIONAL TEMPLATES

The biggest part of the interim period that I fear - in terms of feet-dragging and disorganization in general - is the regional committee process where individuals are elected and tasked with formulating the new regional constitutions and governments. I could easily see this process taking months if we were to take a totally hands-off approach to the process (see: Constitutional Convention). In many respects, it is the duplication of the effort five times over, with many of the same subjects needing to be addressed.

As someone who has been around long enough to see all of the regional Constitutions in action, watch regional Constitutions come and go, and even wreak havoc on the loopholes in many of them, it is safe to say that I am one of several who has experience in this area with respect to understanding which regional Constitutions are inherently better than others.

I believe that it is essential that each regional committee start with a blueprint of sorts in order to save (hopefully a lot of) time and make the process smoother. Every regional Constitution is a bit different and a bit unique, but there is one in my mind that stands above the rest in terms of its stability, its lack of flagrant errors and conflicts, and the quality of the hands who have shaped it and built it over time.

That is the Northeast Constitution. As such, I am recommending that the regional committees adopt as a basic template the Northeast Constitution from which to build on and work. It has been built and shaped by some of the most skilled and sociopathic players in the game, designed to protect the Region from other meddling Atlasian sociopaths (like myself!). The other Constitutions range in quality from less stellar to pathetic. The Mideastern Constitution is arguably the runner-up in this situation. The Southern Constitution still has conflicting clauses within it from multiple attempts to reform it. The Midwest Constitution is even weaker. The Pacific Constitution is the worst (surprise, surprise), and has tons of loopholes and problematic choke-points - some of which remain present from the glorious Rimjob three years ago - and was designed with back-door intrusions in mind, even after it was rewritten.

The Northeast Constitution has a couple of potential weak-points - namely, where the government has moved about 158 times over the years to change how vacancies are filled (there could be inconsistencies in the document because of this), as well as other potential issues regarding dates/times - but it is overall the most sound document we have among the regions. Even with the current problems regarding opening the booth, such is not a major issue and not one that would impact us in any other context other than this precise circumstance. With that being said, I would love uniform timelines regarding constitutional amendment voting across all regions if possible.

CAMPAIGNING/ELECTIONS TIMELINE

Regional Committee Elections - May 24-26*

After 4 regions ratify this document, I will move quickly to appoint the Temporary Elections Administrator (who in all likelihood will be the current SoFE). Approximately 48 hours after the Constitution is ratified in 4 regions, I will instruct the administrator to open the voting booths for these committees for the 3 new regions that have ratified the new Constitution. These elections will last 72 hours.

House of Representative Elections - May 27-29*

Immediately following the conclusion of the Regional Committee elections, a voting booth will be opened for the House of Representatives election. This vote will also last 72 hours, be held Friday through Sunday and use STV. In other words, this election will be just like all of the other federal elections you've participated in in the game. They will be seated immediately following the election.

The current populations for each new Region stand as such:
37 - Western
39 - Southern   
45 - Northeastern

Meaning that the Regional Committees in the Western and Southern regions will have 5 members each; the Northeastern region 6 members. These are subject to change, especially with all of the conservatives trying to strategically reorganize themselves at the moment. Wink

Senate Elections - June 3-5**

The Regional Committees are supposed to "organize the election of the first Senate, and then to devise a permanent Constitution establishing a permanent government for their Region", meaning this is the first item on their agendas. They are in charge of setting the schedule, of course, but it makes little to no sense to wait around forever for what will amount to a special election for these seats, with their terms lasting anywhere from 1 to 3 months. I am encouraging the regions to organize the first election for Senators one week after the House of Representatives at the latest (June 3-5). They will be seated immediately following the election.

As of June 6, "this Constitution shall be considered fully implemented; and accordingly all acts and offices established under the previous Constitution, or those of the former Regions, shall cease to hold any authority within the Republic of Atlasia".

*Assumes 4 regions ratify successfully on the first attempt
**Assumes Regional Committees act quickly to seat the new government
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

May we declare our candidacies for the Regional Committees now? Or is that something that should be handled after ratification and appointment of the Elections Officer have been take care of?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

Since nothing is formally going to reset with regards to candidacies and declarations once the document is ratified by the regions, then I would say that campaigning and/or declaring now is perfectly acceptable. Once the amendment is ratified in 4/5 regions, it's going to be 48 hours before the vote starts, so waiting until then probably isn't ideal.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Last time there was a 48 hour period to declare to be a ConCon delegate, a few or many people missed it because they were unaware and complained.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Last time there was a 48 hour period to declare to be a ConCon delegate, a few or many people missed it because they were unaware and complained.

This is why I posted this earlier, and hope people bother to read it and begin campaigning/declaring now instead of later.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

I agree we need to move quickly. However, Leinad and Ted have already been working in advance to have blueprints ready for the South and West. I don't know where they are at presently, but I know Leinad is probably furthest along.

I'd prefer each region have its own consitution and that the committee take necessary actions to ensure that delay is avoided and interim matters requiring regional action are addressed to the extent they are allowed.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

The Mideast Constitution is a lot cleaner than the Northeast Constitution, which contains a lot of unnecessary verbiage.  The Northeast Constitution is better than the Mideast's  in some ways, but less complete in others, like the bill of rights.  I think the new North's Constitution will probably be an amalgamation of the two constitutions, as it is pretty well a mix of both regions.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:49:18 PM »

I plan to use the NE as our Constitution with some relatively minor modifications.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »

The federal constitution too more than half a year to write. How much time do regional committees have to write new regional constitution?

Do citizens approve the new regional constitution by vote?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »

On which board are the regional committees supposed to do their work?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies