Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:01:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Author Topic: Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET)  (Read 24369 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »

Woohoo some Clinton votes right there
yourelection

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »

Looks like they fixed the mistake in Johnson County.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:39 PM »

Ugh, so I had to turn in the moment the lead switched?
Sanders can still win if he gets a strong performance in Lexington.

Spoiler alert: He won't.  Sanders will lose Fayette County (Lexington) by about 4,000 votes when the AP finally updates the county, according to Decision Desk HQ.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »

I just find it funny how the 2008 Clinton vote is inversely correlated with the 2016 Clinton vote.  
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »

Spoiler alert: He won't.  Sanders will lose Fayette County (Lexington) by about 4,000 votes when the AP finally updates the county, according to Decision Desk HQ.

lol ddhq
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »

Fayette came in on CNN Clinton now up by 4K.
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

Fayette done, +8 Clinton
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »

The results from WV and KY on the Democratic side make no sense if you look at the neighboring states. Tennessee's border with Kentucky is solidly Clinton country, and especially in the counties bordering Kentucky's western panhandle are strong Clinton counties. Yet it now appears as tho Sanders will win strongly in some counties where across the state lines Clinton took 60, sometimes 70 percent. Is it that her comments about coal made them rebel against her, or is it just that these states' Democratic electorates are so different from their neighbor's ones. I don't really believe in the idea that her coal comments alienated so many people; especially for Democratic voters, I feel that most of the outrage is an overreaction. However I can see it playing into an image of Clinton as someone who just can't relate to these kinds of voters. Yet again, I'm reminded that she won rural eastern Ohio, western PA, and western VA, as well as Appalachian TN. Still doesn't make much sense.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »

Just reported. It is 3,000, not 4,000.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »

Sanders did pretty well, but it looks like the Teamsters allowed Hillary to eke out a win.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »

The results from WV and KY on the Democratic side make no sense if you look at the neighboring states. Tennessee's border with Kentucky is solidly Clinton country, and especially in the counties bordering Kentucky's western panhandle are strong Clinton counties. Yet it now appears as tho Sanders will win strongly in some counties where across the state lines Clinton took 60, sometimes 70 percent. Is it that her comments about coal made them rebel against her, or is it just that these states' Democratic electorates are so different from their neighbor's ones. I don't really believe in the idea that her coal comments alienated so many people; especially for Democratic voters, I feel that most of the outrage is an overreaction. However I can see it playing into an image of Clinton as someone who just can't relate to these kinds of voters. Yet again, I'm reminded that she won rural eastern Ohio, western PA, and western VA, as well as Appalachian TN. Still doesn't make much sense.
Closed primaries force conservative democrats to vote in their primary. That's the main difference. In TN and SW Virginia they all voted for Trump.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

Ohio and Western PA look so isolated on the map too. And same with Indiana's KY border; they now appear to be oddities.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »

Just reported. It is 3,000, not 4,000.

I can't count, I guess.  It's 3,000 on DDHQ, too.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »

Not that strong of a result in Fayette for Clinton. Should go down to the wire.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »

TN was an open primary. All the Dixiecrats/Conservadems crossed over for Trump.
BundouYMB

« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »

And once again, DD's actual work is perfect. They reported Fayette County over an hour before AP did, and when AP did report they posted identical numbers to what DD had.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »

I feel so bad for Grimes. Sad

Hopefully another state can import her. KY will soon make statewide Democrats extinct.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:24 PM »

Closed primaries force conservative democrats to vote in their primary. That's the main difference. In TN and SW Virginia they all voted for Trump.

Don't you think it's weird tho that the primary rules affect the results SO much? You'd think that it wouldn't make THAT much of a difference; maybe it's because Trump has locked up the nomination, so his would-be voters are voting for Sanders instead. Exit polls in WV showed a remarkable number of Sanders voters choosing Trump over Clinton; if the 2016 Dem primaries were made up of only Obama 2012 voters, Clinton would be sweeping so hard.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

Sanders also never contested Tennessee when he should've. He literally spend $0 on it.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »

Not that strong of a result in Fayette for Clinton. Should go down to the wire.

Strong enough.
Hydera

« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »

Tennessee was an open primary so those pro-trump democrats were able to expel their anger on the GOP ballot instead of the Dem ballot by voting for Bernie as a protest vote. One thing that probably helped Hillary is that the kentucky GOP primary was a long time ago in political time which meant just enough pro-trump democrats did not show up to help Bernie. Meanwhile WV had a primary where it was the same date for both parties which helped Sanders when those pro-trump democrats found out they couldn't take a GOP ballot.
BundouYMB

« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »

And sorry if I sounded like I was beating a dead horse tonight. I just wanted to make sure I was driving this point home, because DD is a great resource and they do a ton of work and it's a shame that people didn't understand what they actually did and weren't making use of it/appreciating it.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »

Benchmark calls it for Hillary.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »

Perhaps they have different voting machines?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »

Sanders also never contested Tennessee when he should've. He literally spend $0 on it.

I think he just didn't want to spread his resources too thin.  His campaign made the decision to focus on states he knew he could win, and I don't necessarily think it was a bad one, considering he ended up winning all the ones he targeted, save MA.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies