Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:26:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic KY / OR primary results thread (first polls close at 6pm ET)  (Read 24446 times)
Hydera

« on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »

The results from WV and KY on the Democratic side make no sense if you look at the neighboring states. Tennessee's border with Kentucky is solidly Clinton country, and especially in the counties bordering Kentucky's western panhandle are strong Clinton counties. Yet it now appears as tho Sanders will win strongly in some counties where across the state lines Clinton took 60, sometimes 70 percent. Is it that her comments about coal made them rebel against her, or is it just that these states' Democratic electorates are so different from their neighbor's ones. I don't really believe in the idea that her coal comments alienated so many people; especially for Democratic voters, I feel that most of the outrage is an overreaction. However I can see it playing into an image of Clinton as someone who just can't relate to these kinds of voters. Yet again, I'm reminded that she won rural eastern Ohio, western PA, and western VA, as well as Appalachian TN. Still doesn't make much sense.

Tennessee was an open primary so those pro-trump democrats were able to expel their anger on the GOP ballot instead of the Dem ballot by voting for Bernie as a protest vote. One thing that probably helped Hillary is that the kentucky GOP primary was a long time ago in political time which meant just enough pro-trump democrats did not show up to help Bernie. Meanwhile WV had a primary where it was the same date for both parties which helped Sanders when those pro-trump democrats found out they couldn't take a GOP ballot.
Hydera

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »

Those polls were a fluke. However to sink berniebot's hopes.

No caucus+Closed Primary+Mail in ballot = No bernie loopside win in Oregon.
Hydera

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 10:45:08 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

As far as delegates go, if Washington had stuck with its primary (instead of a caucus), would the results have been as close as we are seeing in Oregon?    

Well in 2008. the Washington Caucus gave Obama a margin of 36.50%. However the non-binding primary held a week and a half later unlike the 2016 Nebraska caucus and its non-binding primary being held far apart. Gave Obama a margin of only 5.5%.

Its safe to say without the caucuses her margin would probably be anywhere from 60-80 more delegates than it is currently without the caucus format hindering voter turnout.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »

Was wondering if the Mail-in ballot helped Hillary or Bernie.  And i think with a (Closed) primary actually I think Bernie would of gotten a 8-14% margin had it been a primary since although primaries allow more privacy than caucuses. Mail-in-ballots are definitely a lot easier for Hillary voters who are Older and have less free time than younger voters.

Now with an open primary then its likely it would of been Bernie having a margin of 16-24%.

So a closed primary+mail-in-ballots definitely wiped out his potential margins had an Open primary happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies