Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:18:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge  (Read 2193 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/vote-to-legalize-alcohol-sales-on-pine-ridge-reservation-called/article_3338619c-1ba2-11e6-b0c0-d79d314c52dd.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pathetic.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »

Alcohol is horrible, so good decision.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:12 AM »

Alcohol is horrible, so good decision.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »

"Alcoholism affects eight out of ten families on the Reservation.

The death rate from alcohol-related problems on the Reservation is 300% higher than the remaining US population."

http://www.backpacksforpineridge.com/Stats_About_Pine_Ridge.html

Pine Ridge, like many Indian Reservations, suffers immensely from alcoholism.  They have every right to try and keep this stuff out of their community.  But I suppose none of this matters because "muh liberalism". 

F**k off
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »

If the tribal council is the government of the reservation, then it seems like they have the choice to do this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »

Dry counties don't work. We tried it nationwide and it was a huge epic fail. It lasted about six months on a Reservation I lived on and was also abandoned for being an epic fail. It works even less than marijuana prohibition.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »

Dry counties don't work. We tried it nationwide and it was a huge epic fail. It lasted about six months on a Reservation I lived on and was also abandoned for being an epic fail. It works even less than marijuana prohibition.

It only doesn't work because white assholes like you are selling alcohol right next door.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »

Uh it was tried nationwide and didn't work.

Alcohol is not terrible, it's so moral even my church serves it at some events. (And no I'm not talking about communion, I'm talking about holding events in actual bars)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:37 AM »

When I get off work I'm going to have a drink in protest of this empty quote pyramid.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »

Uh it was tried nationwide and didn't work.

Like the current War on Drugs, American prohibition was selectively enforced and mostly used as an excuse to crack down on urban youth. 

Prohibition works great in large portions of the world and is a valid strategy to combat the evils of alcohol.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »

I think the issue here is more that there's easy access to alcohol off of the rez, and that having alcohol be so far away in some ways makes things worse: drunk driving is a pretty serious issue. Banning alcohol doesn't help here to reduce the problems of alcoholism, and instead makes things worse.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »

Not sure how you playing with your liver is gonna do much, but uh okay.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »

I don't think his liver will fail if he has one drink...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »

It only doesn't work because white assholes like you are selling alcohol right next door.

Why are you being so nasty?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »

Because I've lived near Indian Reservations my whole life and I've seen the destructive impact that alcohol has on these communities firsthand.  I'm pretty offended that brtd, who purports to be a progressive, can hold a position of "lol prohibition is teh badz" and blame the problem on the Natives, when it's the whites living in Whiteclay outside their jurisdiction that are causing this crisis.

There are legitimate discussions to be had about whether prohibition is the right approach here, as Sol mentioned, but adopting a "prohibition never works" position based on completely unrelated evidence is ignorant and doesn't contribute to the conversation at all.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »

The Pine Ridge/Whiteclay situation is an absolute disgrace. I do not generally favor alcohol bans, but Pine Ridge is free to ban alcohol sales in their reservation, especially given the circumstances. Whiteclay's liquor store owners not only knowingly sell alcohol into a known problem community, but they do so in a way which is so irresponsible that it makes some organized crime groups look clean by comparison.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »

Because I've lived near Indian Reservations my whole life and I've seen the destructive impact that alcohol has on these communities firsthand.  I'm pretty offended that brtd, who purports to be a progressive, can hold a position of "lol prohibition is teh badz" and blame the problem on the Natives, when it's the whites living in Whiteclay outside their jurisdiction that are causing this crisis.

There are legitimate discussions to be had about whether prohibition is the right approach here, as Sol mentioned, but adopting a "prohibition never works" position based on completely unrelated evidence is ignorant and doesn't contribute to the conversation at all.

well, okies, but it'll be difficult to foster a legitimate discussion if we all start getting unnecessarily hostile with each other.

As for the topic at hand, in this case it's hard for me to say that continuing to ban alcohol is wrong, despite my anti-prohibitionist leanings. With this country's / their current situation, their only real, viable option seems to be to continue banning it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »

It doesn't surprise me that these natives would be easily pressured.  It's a super controversial issue.

I would allow for the sale of beer and wine.  No liquor.  Use any tax revenues for alcoholism treatment.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 04:25:31 PM »

Native Americans who do not drink or are recovering from alcoholism have no right to force their inabilities to control themselves on those who can control themselves. I have two recovering alcoholics as parents, and neither of them flee the gas station in terror when they pass the beer freezer.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »

Native Americans who do not drink or are recovering from alcoholism have no right to force their inabilities to control themselves on those who can control themselves. I have two recovering alcoholics as parents, and neither of them flee the gas station in terror when they pass the beer freezer.

Yes, because your anecdotal evidence clearly proves that Native American reservations shouldn't have the right to ban alcohol sales in their reservation. They are trying to combat alcoholism in their jurisdiction the best way that's honestly possible with the reservation government.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »

The Pine Ridge/Whiteclay situation is an absolute disgrace. I do not generally favor alcohol bans, but Pine Ridge is free to ban alcohol sales in their reservation, especially given the circumstances. Whiteclay's liquor store owners not only knowingly sell alcohol into a known problem community, but they do so in a way which is so irresponsible that it makes some organized crime groups look clean by comparison.

Yes, because your anecdotal evidence clearly proves that Native American reservations shouldn't have the right to ban alcohol sales in their reservation. They are trying to combat alcoholism in their jurisdiction the best way that's honestly possible with the reservation government.
You guys are right, the Reservations have the right to not allow alcohol sales on their property.  Whiteclay isn't on the Reservation.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »

Local governments, nor state or federal governments, should have the power to regulate health matters that aren't literally a public threat, such as a contagion. It is up to the individual to overpower his addiction, not the state. This is unfair to those on the reservation who can control their drinking.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »

You guys are right, the Reservations have the right to not allow alcohol sales on their property.  Whiteclay isn't on the Reservation.

I think Santander was making a moral argument, not a legal one.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies