How would a mild recession affect the race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How would a mild recession affect the race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would a mild recession affect the race?  (Read 638 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2016, 05:18:01 PM by RR1997 »

Many people predict that the Chinese housing market will collapse soon (due to a phenomenon known as ghost towns). Many predict that the Chinese housing bubble will collapse. If China falls into an recession, it is likely to drag down the rest of the world as well.

This may not happen, but it's possible.

Let's say that our country falls into a mild recession this year. How would it affect the race? Could Hillary still pull off a narrow victory or would TRUMP dominate?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

A recession usually helps the party on the outs, right? It helped propel Obama to victory in 2008.

Conventional wisdom says that it helps Trump. Probably more so because of his "business experience."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »

The down economy is built in already as the GOP leaning House. But the prez and Senate is a different matter affecting SCOTUS and I see Clinton narrowly winning if the economy comes to past, the worst.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »

The down economy is built in already as the GOP leaning House. But the prez and Senate is a different matter affecting SCOTUS and I see Clinton narrowly winning if the economy comes to past, the worst.

? Voters do not think/split the ticket so strategically like you said.

The house leans Republican because of district lines, nothing more.  In 2012, even tho dems lost significantly in house seats, the Democrats got a million more house votes than the repubs, tracking nicely with their presidential victory in the PV.   The Democrats may very well receive more house votes again this year but lose significantly in the house.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:45:31 PM »

It would make Hillary win with 300 EVs instead of 350.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »

A mild recession would probably be enough to make the race dead even, a 2008 repeat would put the election in strong hands for Trump. His populist rhetoric would work great on apathetic and less informed people feeling the effects. Obama's approval also matters.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »

It's worth noting (for the benefit of posters here who are too young to remember) that the Great Recession didn't come out of nowhere or happen overnight.  The economy was already starting to collapse by this point in 2008.  The likelihood of a major recession happening in the next five months is basically nil.  A mild recession is possible I guess but unlikely.  A slowdown could happen, but I doubt it. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »

It's worth noting (for the benefit of posters here who are too young to remember) that the Great Recession didn't come out of nowhere or happen overnight.  The economy was already starting to collapse by this point in 2008.  The likelihood of a major recession happening in the next five months is basically nil.  A mild recession is possible I guess but unlikely.  A slowdown could happen, but I doubt it. 

Agree.
PS: Why do you have your username setup to read as "Asian Nazi" ?
What the hell does that mean ? Very strange.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »

Agree.

Someone on here called me an Asian Nazi.  I'm not actually a nazi, though, in case you were wondering.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »

Agree.

Someone on here called me an Asian Nazi.  I'm not actually a nazi, though, in case you were wondering.

LOL.
Ok. Was it Ljube ?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »

Agree.

LOL.
Ok. Was it Ljube ?

No, ChairmanSanchez.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »

Agree.

LOL.
Ok. Was it Ljube ?

No, ChairmanSanchez.

Oh ... that dude/dudette is a loser.
Elitist-Sanchez.
Besides, Ljube ... ChairmanSanchez ..... same strange crowd.
;-)
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »

A mild recession would probably be enough to make the race dead even, a 2008 repeat would put the election in strong hands for Trump. His populist rhetoric would work great on apathetic and less informed people feeling the effects. Obama's approval also matters.

This is basically what I was going to say.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »

The only thing it benefits is the Republican party, regardless of what you said
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:18 PM »

I have another question: will one happen?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies