Which state was the most surprising?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:14:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which state was the most surprising?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Wisconsin

Florida

West Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Which state was the most surprising?  (Read 30516 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 11:38:53 AM »

Wisconsin, I saw all the Bush signs in the areas where he needed to win big but it didn't happen. Sad Oh well what's over is over and he won. Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »

West Virginia - not staying with Bush but the extent to which it swung against Kerry. He was just too liberal for that states tastes

Dave

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 09:26:31 PM »

Well I was quit glad the "Curse of the Dukakis" was off of Iowa. If it stays off is the only question for it now.
Cashcow

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 09:49:53 PM »

Well I was quit glad the "Curse of the Dukakis" was off of Iowa. If it stays off is the only question for it now.

You have an interesting prediction map.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 02:05:54 PM »

I didn't understand why of the 3 Dukakis states, 2 went stronger to Kerry and one flipped to Bush. My best guess is the few Nader '00 voters in the first 2 switched to Kerry, while Nader did less well in Iowa '00.

I agree with everyone else that Wisconsin was a surprise. I remember a poll on this site in Sept. or Oct. that had Bush with a 10 point lead.

Bad surprise: Bush doing noticably better in all of the Northeast except north New England. Terrorism/Security close to home was probably why. I had hoped that MA,CT and RI would have every county red like last time. Stupid Litchfield! The continued low turnout among my fellow young voters made me mad and depressed. Losing every single county in Oklahoma: ouch Sad

Good Surprise: Dems doing better across the entire northern tier of the country, even in places like ND & ID (trend-wise, not actual results) And even in the south some good news: We won Fairfax, Mecklenburg (Charlotte, NC) and almost won Dallas!

I voted Wisconsin
skybridge
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 02:07:40 PM »

Wisconsin-the last polls seem to reach a consensus that it was in the bag for Bush

Florida-the last week saw wild swings for both candidates (+5 for Bush one day, +6 for Kerry the next) and I had predicted that the Sunshine State would be about +4 for Kerry

West Virginia-I predicted this would be about +3-4 for Bush but I never thought of a 12% margin there

I was just stunned that FL was so much for Bush. I went, "hey, how much did Jeb fix the machines" for the first few hours until settling down.

None of them were surprising at all. Maybe New Mexico but not even that result made my head spin.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 03:24:21 PM »

You have an interesting prediction map.

Oh that? Just a joke. It was meant to slightly mock all those who followed the polls to a tee and used a magnifying glass to make sure the numbers were right. I did not take it seriously. Twas but a merry jest! Smiley
skybridge
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 04:27:40 PM »

The most disappointing was of course Ohio.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2005, 06:14:03 PM »

Good Surprise: Dems doing better across the entire northern tier of the country, even in places like ND & ID (trend-wise, not actual results) And even in the south some good news: We won Fairfax, Mecklenburg (Charlotte, NC) and almost won Dallas!

Dallas County is not Dallas.  Only a certain area of Dallas County actually forms the city of Dallas and the city of Dallas is blocked by suburban municipalities on all sides.  About 50% of the population resides in the city of Dallas (1.2 million), the rest are in suburbs (1.2 million).  The Dallas-Fort Worth metro area (key term) is roughly 5.2 million and includes the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth and its various and surrounding suburbs in Dallas County, Tarrant County, Collin County and Denton County.

The Dallas-Fort Worth metro area continues to produce roughly a 60%-40% Republican split in most Texas local and federal elections.  This election was no different.

The population of city of Dallas is stable, not growing or declining.  I would say demographically it's probably 1/3 black, 1/3rd white, 1/3 Hispanic (don't know for sure), but the blacks vote in extremely large numbers greater than the Hispanics, most of whom are not legal citizens.

There is no doubt in my mind that the city of Dallas voted strongly Democrat in 2004, as it has since 1988 at least, but as the City of Dallas only forms roughly only 1/20th of the Texas population and 1/10th of the actual vote, 1/5th of the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area and 1/4 of the actual vote and probably roughly 1/2 of Dallas County and its vote, it only affects the Texas totals so much.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 01:04:02 AM »

Dallas County is not Dallas.  Only a certain area of Dallas County actually forms the city of Dallas and the city of Dallas is blocked by suburban municipalities on all sides.  About 50% of the population resides in the city of Dallas (1.2 million), the rest are in suburbs (1.2 million).  The Dallas-Fort Worth metro area (key term) is roughly 5.2 million and includes the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth and its various and surrounding suburbs in Dallas County, Tarrant County, Collin County and Denton County.

The Dallas-Fort Worth metro area continues to produce roughly a 60%-40% Republican split in most Texas local and federal elections.  This election was no different.

The population of city of Dallas is stable, not growing or declining.  I would say demographically it's probably 1/3 black, 1/3rd white, 1/3 Hispanic (don't know for sure), but the blacks vote in extremely large numbers greater than the Hispanics, most of whom are not legal citizens.

There is no doubt in my mind that the city of Dallas voted strongly Democrat in 2004, as it has since 1988 at least, but as the City of Dallas only forms roughly only 1/20th of the Texas population and 1/10th of the actual vote, 1/5th of the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area and 1/4 of the actual vote and probably roughly 1/2 of Dallas County and its vote, it only affects the Texas totals so much.

Yes I am familiar with the Dallas-Ft. Worth metro area (or metroplex as I think they call it) and I know it had no impact on the Texas results as a whole. But since all of Dallas County almost voted Democrat, then even the suburbs such as Plano, Mesquite and Garland must have trended Democrat at least somewhat b/c these are county results, not city. If Dallas's population isn't growing as fast as the suburbs then since the trend was Democrat the change was also in the latter, not just downtown.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »

Rhode Island was the biggest surprise. Bush went from 32% to 39%, for what reason nobody knows.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »

I wasn't surprised by any state.  The 2004 election was pretty dull in that respect.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 03:40:58 AM »

Of those? WV. I got only one state wrong, and a lot of funny stuff happened in Ohio.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 08:14:53 PM »

I did pretty well actually.

The only state I just plain got wrong was Minnesota - I figured it was pretty darn close, it wasn't

Happy about Florida - I think I was just about the only person who from day one had Bush up 4-6 in Florida pretty much the whole way.

I got Iowa and Wisconsin "wrong" in that I called the wrong winner, but those weer just coin tosses that came up the wrong way. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2006, 09:01:50 PM »

At the time, Florida.  I would have thought that Democrats would have done everything in their power to use the 2000 backlash to their advantage and turn the state blue (red on Atlas).  So I was stunned to see that Bush actually won the state by a much larger margin than he did the first time around. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 11:17:56 AM »

I did pretty well actually.

The only state I just plain got wrong was Minnesota - I figured it was pretty darn close, it wasn't
Yeah, I never understood how you came to such an obviously harebrained conclusion. Wink
You must be logged in to read this quote.
From day one? Probably. It was becoming clear to me some months in, though. Much like Minnesota, really. In more ways than one - both states had freak result in 2000. Once the 2004 campaign was really shaping up, it should have been clear they'd be moving back towards normal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I got Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio wrong in that matter, but that's because I rigged it to predict a Dem win. I might have just as well given all three plus Wisconsin to the Reps, those were the four states where either result would have been utterly unsurprising to me.

Most surprising to me was the size of Bush's victory in certain Southern states, notably Alabama, West Virginia and Oklahoma, and the size of the internal dynamics in California.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »

Iowa going for Bush and, Wiscousin going for Kerry.
Buckwheat
frogjuice77
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: -0.10

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »

I agree with this.  By all accounts, it should have been opposite or at least Wisconsin should have gone for Bush.  But not by more than Kerry won it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2006, 02:50:02 PM »

I agree with this.  By all accounts, it should have been opposite or at least Wisconsin should have gone for Bush.  But not by more than Kerry won it.

Kerry probably didn't actually win Wisconsin.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 07:24:33 PM »

Alcon...what happened to you?  You used to be a nice and sane guy.  Alas.

Anyway, FL was the big shock; I thought we had a decent shot there.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »

Florida.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 07:44:44 PM »

What, you think that there wasn't fraud in Milwaukee?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2006, 10:39:13 PM »

What, you think that there wasn't fraud in Milwaukee?

Was it enough to make the difference? If so, was it not countered by Republican fraud?

I honestly don't know the answers to those questions, but if Wisconsin was stolen, I highly doubt the Republicans would have not challenged the results legally.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/010427.php

I hadn't paid attention to it since a few days after the election.  It looks from what I can find now like it wasn't likely Wisconsin was stolen, but it was probably closer than actually reported, and there is certainly a chance it was stolen.

At the very least, Milwaukee County has some splainin' to do.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:01 PM »

I say West Virginia.  Even with the majority of voter being registered Democrats and Bush not being all that popular in the nation, the networks were able to call WV without trouble.  I couldn't believe how quick it was.  I new it was all down hill from there... Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies