How Coal Country is Voting (Images)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:35:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How Coal Country is Voting (Images)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How Coal Country is Voting (Images)  (Read 2778 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »

I still have the not-so-popular opinion that nuclear is still best on the mass scale. Modern nuke tech is so much safer.  The problem is retiring and replacing these old generation 1 and 2 reactors.  Those are what caused Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima.  France is full on with modern nuclear power and have you heard of any problems there?

Not that that is at all on topic, but the real big problem in my eyes is that we have absolutely no clue what to do with the highly dangerous, highly poisonous nuclear waste - all we have so far are no more but provisional and transitional methods, with nuclear waste often shipped time and time again between some place and another. We really need to find a way to finally and properly get rid of all nuclear waste - before that's not done, I'm not really the biggest fan of producing even more of what we can't handle in the first place.

I'll try not to derail this further but look up "coal slurry spills" and tell me what's worse.  If they only were allowed to finish the Yucca Mountain facility!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 03:26:31 AM »

I still have the not-so-popular opinion that nuclear is still best on the mass scale. Modern nuke tech is so much safer.  The problem is retiring and replacing these old generation 1 and 2 reactors.  Those are what caused Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima.  France is full on with modern nuclear power and have you heard of any problems there?

Not that that is at all on topic, but the real big problem in my eyes is that we have absolutely no clue what to do with the highly dangerous, highly poisonous nuclear waste - all we have so far are no more but provisional and transitional methods, with nuclear waste often shipped time and time again between some place and another. We really need to find a way to finally and properly get rid of all nuclear waste - before that's not done, I'm not really the biggest fan of producing even more of what we can't handle in the first place.

I'll try not to derail this further but look up "coal slurry spills" and tell me what's worse.  If they only were allowed to finish the Yucca Mountain facility!

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of how sh**tty an energy-source coal is - if it were for me, coal production and plants would have been shut down years ago. I was just pointing out that nuclear isn't the all-mighty saviour some think it is. And as answer to your question, while both is obviously extremely unpleasant, to say the least, I stay with my opinion that megatons of highly poisonous and dangerous radioactive waste that we have no idea how to neutralise and handle, and of which are producing more and more every year, has some serious long-term issues we might not even be aware of as of now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »

The trouble with nuclear is economics. I mean you can just about do it in France (a state happy country), China (obvious reasons) ans Korea (where business is all cronyistic), but it's harder in liberal economies. Even France is finding it tricky to know what to do as their old plants age - I believe they're hugely over budget in their attempt to build a Gen III.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 07:27:01 AM »

Do you guys realize that Democrats have already completely collapsed in coal country? It's already baked in. Go check the 2012 election map. I wish Trump luck in his quest to improve on Romney's 81 point win in Leslie County, KY.
Again, I said PA and OH. Sanders' support directly follows coal counties in PA
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »

Clinton won the coal mining areas of OH and PA, though. (Sanders won mostly non coal Appalachian areas). She's not hated there quite yet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »

Most American coalfields are dead or dying (have been for decades as well; the big mines in southern WV and eastern KY basically all went in the 1980s) and so are social disaster areas. This (and its implications) really shouldn't be a hard point to grasp and yet...
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »

Do you guys realize that Democrats have already completely collapsed in coal country? It's already baked in. Go check the 2012 election map. I wish Trump luck in his quest to improve on Romney's 81 point win in Leslie County, KY.
Again, I said PA and OH. Sanders' support directly follows coal counties in PA

Given that Greene and Washington counties account for 75% of coal production in PA, I find it hard to find such correlation between coal and Sanders vote in PA.  Even for a 13 yr old, you do shoddy work.

http://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/pdf/table2.pdf

If there was anything interesting about PA, it's the huge swath of counties (outside of metro Philly and Pittsburgh)  that were no more than 52%  for either candidate.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies