Should life imprisonment without parole be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:35:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should life imprisonment without parole be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes, along with the death penalty

No, but end the death penalty

Keep the death penalty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Should life imprisonment without parole be abolished?  (Read 3845 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »

Anyone who opposes life imprisonment should have to detail what they think the appropriate sentences for various notorious mass murderers and when they should be released back into society.

The question here specifically relates to the sentence of life imprisonment without parole.  Even some of the most noxious criminals could be released after a lengthy sentence without risking the safety of others.  To categorically deny this option during sentencing provides a dis-incentive to the offender to rehabilitate.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »

Option 2.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would imagine the number of people executed who would become life in prison is lower than the number of people in prison for life for non-violent offenses such as drugs.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »

1) the death penalty is bad on moral, financial, and statistical grounds.  It's not the 1600s any more, so we don't have people who are too dangerous to be kept alive.

2) there are a minority of criminals who are sociopaths/bad by their nature and there's really no way to rehabilitate them.  Therefore, we need life without parole.  Those people should be identified using a scientific process and locked up permanently without being given PlayStations or other ridiculous bullsh**t and kept in Spartan, non torturous conditions.  They can euthanize themselves if they'd like.

3) a sizeable majority of criminals are capable of being rehabilitated and the united states does an awful job at identifying and reintegrating these people.   It'd have to be through a very discerning, evidence based sentencing placement into this rehabilitatable group (I.e., someone who commits a crime of desperation or passion as opposed to someone who is a cold blooded murderer or attracted to 8 yos), then giving aggressive financial incentives to employers, maintaining strong community ties during imprisonment and ensuring reintegration, and educating the living sh**t out of prisoners and making it so going to prison is basically like going to college or technical school.

4) some crimes are better punished outside of prison (opioid abuse, compounding fines to give obvious examples)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »

No it shouldn't. While we should attempt to rehabilitate criminals there are many who cannot be and someone who say is capable of murder raping an innocent person is no someone I would want released back into the public. I wouldn't want some kind of uniform sentencing that applies to everyone regardless the specifics of the case, but in general I would prefer life without parole for the majority of murderers/rapists.

Death penalty should be abolished not because I have any moral issue with a murderer being put to death but because I oppose the state having the power to put people to death and there is always the possibility the person is innocent.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »

I never got the "the state shouldn't have the power to kill people" argument against the death penalty. In that case, we shouldn't have a military either, and cops shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »

Yes. Everybody, even the worst criminal, deserves a chance to redeem themselves.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »

I never got the "the state shouldn't have the power to kill people" argument against the death penalty. In that case, we shouldn't have a military either, and cops shouldn't be allowed to carry guns.

There is a difference between defense and killing someone in your custody.

Yes. Everybody, even the worst criminal, deserves a chance to redeem themselves.

Even those who commit mass murder or genocide?  Some people are bad enough that releasing them after a few decades doesn't seem right.  Maybe if people lived for eternity, you'd have a point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »

Even those who commit mass murder or genocide?  Some people are bad enough that releasing them after a few decades doesn't seem right.  Maybe if people lived for eternity, you'd have a point.

Theoretically, yes. Of course, the standard for what constitutes redemption should be proportional to the gravity of the crime, which in those cases would make it almost impossible. But the possibility exists and it ought to be preserved.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »

There is a difference between defense and killing someone in your custody.

Yeah, this. Death row inmates escaping is a scary idea, but one that really doesn't happen. Keeping the worst offenders under lock and key so they can never commit crimes again is something we do well. At that point, protecting society is not an applicable argument for killing them, as it is for soldiers fighting in a war or police confronting a criminal at large.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »

Where's the replace with the death penalty option? 😈
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »

Yes, everyone has a chance of being rehabilitated.
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »

Most definitely.  A lifetime of prison sodomy has to be a Human Rights abuse.  Just saying.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »

Voted No, but abolish the death penalty
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »

I'm sorry, but an argument for NEVER allowing life without parole is just sappy and overly idealistic.  There are people who are so manipulative it's almost unbelievable, and there are crimes that are straight-up unforgivable (i.e., no amount of time spent in a jail cell can atone for those actions, at least not to the point where the criminal should walk free), and I do not want the only thing keeping those people off the streets to be the savviness of the parole board.
Human
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 04:03:50 PM »

Life imprisoment should be used extremely rarely.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies