William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate  (Read 3278 times)
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:35:50 PM »

So now the Libertarians have two former office holders running for VP.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/18/william-weld-as-gary-johnsons-vice-presi

Didn't see this coming to be honest.

How will this effect the race?

(In before someone says it won't)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »

I'm not a Libertarian by any stretch, but if I was I would think I'd be a little ticked that my party is being co-opted by moderate Republicans.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »

It would be a ticket that might crash the debate stage.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »

Like, nobody knows who that is outside the Northeast.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »

It's a pretty big coup - for the Libertarian Party. I'm not sure it'll actually do anything, but it adds legitimacy.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »

So now the Libertarians have two former office holders running for VP.

The first to announce, former Congressman Kerry Bentivolio, has withdrawn and endorsed the Johnson/Weld ticket.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »

Just saw somebody on IPR claim that a ticket led by DWPERRY would be more relevant than the Johnson/Weld ticket.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »

That is a serious ticket. What is worse: it may, actually, elect Trump.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:35 PM »

How so?  I would think that the ticket is more likely to attract dissafected Republicans than Democrats.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:44:53 PM »

Just saw somebody on IPR claim that a ticket led by DWPERRY would be more relevant than the Johnson/Weld ticket.

lol
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:42 PM »

How so?  I would think that the ticket is more likely to attract dissafected Republicans than Democrats.

I'm guessing ag believes that Hillary will need those Trump protest votes to win.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:05 PM »

Precisely those of them, who could have voted for Clinton.

Trump may struggle to get to 50%, but 40-45% is definitely within his range. It would be a disaster if that is enough for victory this time.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:31 PM »

I'm guessing ag believes that Hillary will need those Trump protest votes to win.

Ag has this weird belief that moderates and establishment Republicans are going to become Democrats in the future and the Sanders people will become Republicans, and that Hillary Clinton voters would just as easily vote for moderate Republicans. I feel like he only sees in black and white, so all the evil Trump and Sanders supporters get lumped into the other party, while the nice moderate heroes become Democrats.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »

Has a third party ever ran two former statewide office holders on a national ticket since Teddy Roosevelt? Two former GOP Governors, pretty impressive ticket. Could be a legitimate option for many Republicans, don't know what kind of Republicans exactly tho (you'd think #NeverTrumps, and most would be, but I can imagine a lot of very conservative Republicans would not vote for a libertarian and a moderate/RINO).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »

I can see some Democrats thinking "oh, I doesn't want to vote for Trump, but I won't have to vote for Hillary now, with third candidate". Some may definitively go.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:12:42 AM »

I can see some Democrats thinking "oh, I doesn't want to vote for Trump, but I won't have to vote for Hillary now, with third candidate". Some may definitively go.

Yeah, but those voters will just vote Green or Libertarian anyway regardless of who is on those tickets, if that is their line of thinking.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »

It's a pretty big coup - for the Libertarian Party. I'm not sure it'll actually do anything, but it adds legitimacy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:21 AM »

How so?  I would think that the ticket is more likely to attract disaffected Republicans than Democrats.

Yeah, but those voters will just vote Green or Libertarian anyway regardless of who is on those tickets, if that is their line of thinking.

Good point.

I don't expect a large number of voters abandoning their major party this election, whether we're talking about Republicans or Democrats. Third party bids are always overhyped. And the fact that both nominees are rather divisive figures (and not wildly popular) may make the election even more polarized, rather than giving a third party a credible performance.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »

I don't expect a large number of voters abandoning their major party this election, whether we're talking about Republicans or Democrats. Third party bids are always overhyped. And the fact that both nominees are rather divisive figures (and not wildly popular) may make the election even more polarized, rather than giving a third party a credible performance.

But much of the polarization is basically "negative partisanship".  People support the candidate of one party because they hate the candidate of the opposing party so much.  If the media actually gave some coverage to one or more third party candidates and treated them as a reasonable option rather than the candidate of cranks, some of those people might then move over to that third party candidate, especially in a year like this.

The only problem, for the media to do that would probably require a few of the more prominent #NeverTrumpers to talk up Johnson (or whoever else) as an option, and I'm not sure they would do that.  Bill Kristol may not be ready to vote for Clinton or Trump, but I don't see him voting for Johnson either.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 03:53:56 AM »

But much of the polarization is basically "negative partisanship".  People support the candidate of one party because they hate the candidate of the opposing party so much.  If the media actually gave some coverage to one or more third party candidates and treated them as a reasonable option rather than the candidate of cranks, some of those people might then move over to that third party candidate, especially in a year like this.

The only problem, for the media to do that would probably require a few of the more prominent #NeverTrumpers to talk up Johnson (or whoever else) as an option, and I'm not sure they would do that.  Bill Kristol may not be ready to vote for Clinton or Trump, but I don't see him voting for Johnson either.

This is true. The media and #NeverTrumpers don't want a 3rd PARTY, just a 3rd candidate. That's why a hypothetical independent Romney run gets talked up more than any of the existing third parties.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:54 AM »

Ag has this weird belief that moderates and establishment Republicans are going to become Democrats in the future and the Sanders people will become Republicans, and that Hillary Clinton voters would just as easily vote for moderate Republicans. I feel like he only sees in black and white, so all the evil Trump and Sanders supporters get lumped into the other party, while the nice moderate heroes become Democrats.

It is not that weird, if you consider the reallignment over a new dimension: nativism/nationalism vs. p
diversity/internationalism. Trump and Sanders are doing their best to redefine American political process in his way.
Fargobison

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »

Bill is going right at Trump straight out of the gate...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[link=(https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/733372537753731073)]LINK[/link]
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »

Bill is going right at Trump straight out of the gate...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[link=(https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/733372537753731073)]LINK[/link]

Good guy. But if the race is still close in late October, he should endorse Clinton.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »

It's funny that the Libertarian ticket (two former Governors) will be more experienced than the GOP ticket.

And way ahead of the laughable credentials of the Green Party.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »

It's funny that the Libertarian ticket (two former Governors) will be more experienced than the GOP ticket.

And way ahead of the laughable credentials of the Green Party.

It is a very good ticket. Obviously, real Republicans have no excuse to vote for the official Republican party nominee. If they do, it is very clear they support him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies