William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: William Weld - Libertarian VP Candidate  (Read 3308 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 19, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »

I don't expect a large number of voters abandoning their major party this election, whether we're talking about Republicans or Democrats. Third party bids are always overhyped. And the fact that both nominees are rather divisive figures (and not wildly popular) may make the election even more polarized, rather than giving a third party a credible performance.

But much of the polarization is basically "negative partisanship".  People support the candidate of one party because they hate the candidate of the opposing party so much.  If the media actually gave some coverage to one or more third party candidates and treated them as a reasonable option rather than the candidate of cranks, some of those people might then move over to that third party candidate, especially in a year like this.

The only problem, for the media to do that would probably require a few of the more prominent #NeverTrumpers to talk up Johnson (or whoever else) as an option, and I'm not sure they would do that.  Bill Kristol may not be ready to vote for Clinton or Trump, but I don't see him voting for Johnson either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies