Do you remember 9/11?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:28:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember 9/11?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Do you remember 9/11?  (Read 1751 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »

^^

Yeah, I was preparing for a seminar that evening, turned the TV on so I could have something in the background, saw fire and smoke, and said, "What the hell?" I remember fearing for a couple hours that it was just the start of something bigger and that Chicago or L.A. might be next.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 05:40:19 AM »

I was having sun in the garden, was a beautiful day, it was around 16h when a mate I knew from high-school came to my home and said something like:

'Hey I was in the bus, a woman says planes are falling everywhere in the world'

So we turned TV on and...

Crazy how amongst all the feelings that can cross you during something that special, there is a kind of disappointed one that's like 'ah finally, it's not all around the world, it's only 4 planes in the US, and one didn't even hit the White House', here's what happens when U drug people with catastroph movies maybe...

Actually though, each time I watch the image of the 2nd plane in the 2nd tower, it always does a strong effect on me, kinda as if I saw it for the 1st time, I can't help but imagining the mess in the head of people that have been directly concerned, and think that it was so 'brilliant' in an evil way.

When we finally moved from TV, the other thing I remember quite well is when I said something like 'well, you had it coming...'
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »

Of course.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

No. I was only 2 at the time.
I can only imagine how different my perspective would have been if I was a few years older, though.

1. Huh, I thought you were older.
2. Depends on what you mean by "a few years." I was 6, and I didn't really see it as anything other than a very, very tragic event perpetrated by some very, very bad people. I didn't really get how important it was until a few years later.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »

Yes, I was coming home from school as my parents told me about it (it was afternoon in Germany). And I remember that a lot of people I knew avoided to go to vertain events like soccer games, concerts or larger crowds.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »

No
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »

Yep, but not in too much detail. I was in grade four, nine years old.

Interestingly, I just watching 24 hours of 9/11-9/12 CNN news coverage of the attacks over a span of a couple weeks in March. Don't know why, but I was a bit curious, I guess. It was surreal as f-ck.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2016, 12:13:44 PM »

Yes. I also remember President Bush specifically saying, "We will make no distinction between the terrorists who attacked us and those who sponsor them."

I guess some countries were exempted from that statement (for example: a certain large Gulf state which will remain nameless, out of respect to the Bush family).
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »

Yes, I was in fourth grade, when the first plane hit they thought it was an accident, but my teacher kept leaving to go talk to another teacher who had walked into the room and said "they're saying it might be terrorists."  I was in New York and so everyone said the "twin towers", but I thought they were talking about the Petronas Towers, which I knew of at the time because they were the tallest buildings in the world then.  When the second plane hit we all got sent home.  I understood that something really bad had happened but pretended not to in the car to try to get my mom to explain it to me but she only said she'd tell me later.  We watched the news most of the rest of the day and learned about the Pentagon Attacks, United 93, the "bomb at the state department" and worrying about lots of other planes that may or may not have been hijacked.  There was a church vigil that night to pray for the victims, and all the kids on the playground claimed to have some connection to Osama bin Laden.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »

Yes. I also remember President Bush specifically saying, "We will make no distinction between the terrorists who attacked us and those who sponsor them."

I guess some countries were exempted from that statement (for example: a certain large Gulf state which will remain nameless, out of respect to the Bush family).

Saudi Arabia?
Texas?
Florida?

Tongue
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »

How different would the day be seen if only one plane hit and no attack in the other states?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »

Yes, I was in fourth grade, when the first plane hit they thought it was an accident, but my teacher kept leaving to go talk to another teacher who had walked into the room and said "they're saying it might be terrorists."  I was in New York and so everyone said the "twin towers", but I thought they were talking about the Petronas Towers, which I knew of at the time because they were the tallest buildings in the world then.  When the second plane hit we all got sent home.  I understood that something really bad had happened but pretended not to in the car to try to get my mom to explain it to me but she only said she'd tell me later.  We watched the news most of the rest of the day and learned about the Pentagon Attacks, United 93, the "bomb at the state department" and worrying about lots of other planes that may or may not have been hijacked.  There was a church vigil that night to pray for the victims, and all the kids on the playground claimed to have some connection to Osama bin Laden.
I always figured you were older than that. I thought you'd be at least thirty (now).
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »

No, I was 6 at the time.

Some of my first political memories were Madrid, 7/7, and the Israeli-Lebanon War, however. Don't remember much before 2008.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »

I always figured you were older than that. I thought you'd be at least thirty (now).

People irl think I'm older than I actually am too.  What made you think that?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 06:50:53 AM »

Seriously, how could anyone forget?

I was in third grade, and we were scheduled to have school pictures that day.  The principal came in and explained what had happened, although she never mentioned the WTC; she simply mentioned that terrorist had hijacked planes and attacked the Pentagon.  When I heard the news, I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal.  Sure, it was tragic, but how did it affect us personally?  It took me a little while to finally figure out what was happening and why it mattered.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies