Have you ever broke the election law?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:03:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever broke the election law?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Have you ever broke the election law?  (Read 728 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »
« edited: May 19, 2016, 12:09:54 AM by Enver Pasha of Enverland »

Yes. It was 1990, the year of first direct presidential election in Poland and I was two years old. I don't actually remember it, but I was being frequently reminded of this over the years. As a young kid I was a big fan of Lech Wałęsa, not because I know anything of him politically, but because I really liked his moustache (five years later I cried when he lost reelection). So I broke the electoral silence (no agitation for two days before polling day) multiple times that weekend by shouting in every public place we went "Wałęsa for President!" (which I was badly misspelling). My parents, who supported Tadeusz Mazowiecki, were doubly embarrassed.

No, I wasn't indicted, just like Bill.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »

I filled out my mom's ballot in 2012, when I was too young to vote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:02 AM »

I filled out my mom's ballot in 2012, when I was too young to vote.

I always was filling my parents' ballot. I could choose whatever candidate I liked, provided they were on the party list they choose.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:20:41 AM »

I watched my mother vote on the machine in 2012 to make sure she didn't accidentally select Todd Akin.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:35:49 AM »

I got my mum to sign up in the Labour leadership to vote for Andy Burnham
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:40:43 AM »

No.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:41:24 AM »

I watched my mother vote on the machine in 2012 to make sure she didn't accidentally select Todd Akin.

I'd consider that a public service.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »

Many times, but parents let me fill out their ballots and when my grandmother was dying in 2012 we got an absentee ballot for her (she was a moderate democrat) and I filled it out for the straight Republican ticket in my area. She never voted for a republican before.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

It could be true that I sometimes fill out my absentee ballot when I am alone, and then later get a witness signature on the envelope, even though they did not  actually see me mark my ballot. I have admittedly also taken pictures of the filled out portion on my write-in ballot twice because laws saying I'm not allowed to voluntarily do so are stupid.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »

I showed my absentee ballot to a friend before I mailed it off.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »

One time I campaigned too close to a polling place. A guy complained, and the official came out and politely told us to move further away, and we did.

I've also watched my parents vote when I was younger, but I didn't know that was illegal.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »

I've also watched my parents vote when I was younger, but I didn't know that was illegal.

I would be very surprised if it would be illegal. I mean, come on.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »

Yes, probably for lots of little things. The cutest example though was letting my 5 year old daughter put my ballot in the ballot box in the last federal election. I know she had been denied that privilege in the previous provincial election.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

Yes, probably for lots of little things. The cutest example though was letting my 5 year old daughter put my ballot in the ballot box in the last federal election. I know she had been denied that privilege in the previous provincial election.

I've done it multiple times with my parents and I'm seeing it all the time. Nobody ever complained about a kid putting a parent's ballot in the ballot box.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

voluntarily took a picture of my primary ballot this cycle I don't know if that's illegal or not but if it is illegal I think it's quite stupid
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »

I've done it multiple times with my parents and I'm seeing it all the time. Nobody ever complained about a kid putting a parent's ballot in the ballot box.

Right, but it might be against the law here. At least in provincial elections. Some poll clerks can be very anal about the rules.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »

I always went with my Dad to vote until I became the legal age (it was a special thing when I was a kid, I just carried on doing it until I could do it myself); he let me vote for him in 2011 because I was like a week too young to vote and got annoyed when I voted Green on the list - I argued that it was sensible since Labour were probably going to do well in our region and so a list vote for Labour would be wasted, while a vote for the Greens might prevent the Tories or the Lib Dems getting any MSPs.  Then the results happened; and I wasn't particularly popular for a while...  I also went with my Mum to vote a few times; in 2007 I filled out the papers for her (although she told me what to do) since that was the year when they brought in the single Scottish parliament ballot paper and STV for local elections, and I just wanted to make sure that she used all of her votes and didn't end up accidentally spoiling her ballot or letting her local election ballot exhaust (which lots of people ended up doing).  Other than that, I was a good kid...

I was going to take a photo of my indyref vote for posterity, but there was a bit of a queue forming and it would be rude to keep people waiting for me selfishness - we had a 90+% turnout and if everyone decided to do that then lots of people would have been waiting for a fair bit longer than they should...

Many times, but parents let me fill out their ballots and when my grandmother was dying in 2012 we got an absentee ballot for her (she was a moderate democrat) and I filled it out for the straight Republican ticket in my area. She never voted for a republican before.

if she didn't give you permission to do that its incredibly dodgy and morally wrong; and the sort of thing that lots of people would call fraud.  I think that its also incredibly disrespectful to do that for a dying relative: if I found out on my deathbed that someone had signed up for a postal vote in my name and voted Tory I would be incredibly unhappy since it would go against everything that I stood for in life.  What I (and others apparently) did was OK IMO since my folks gave me permission to vote for them or help them vote properly, using the ballot of an incredibly ill person to vote for someone that they wouldn't vote for themselves is just wrong.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 03:45:21 PM »

No surprise that a 12 year old Republican would be an awful human being.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »

No surprise that a 12 year old Republican would be an awful human being.
I would presume that would be me, I'm not 12 if you add two that's my age. But let me explain more what I meant, starting around mid-2012 she started to not like Obama and before she died she was anti-Obama she didn't like him she said. Also she liked Scott Brown and Richard Tisei, because my family volunteered for them. She knew that she voted for the straight republican ticket before she died though. I just filled it out since she was on her deathbed.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »

When I was 7, I saw my dad (almost) vote for John McCain.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

I've registered a number of totally apolitical people (family members + stoners in my dorm) and cast absentee votes on their behalf that they signed. Pretty sure that's technically illegal. John Kasich received 6 votes from me against Trump, and 4 from me against Fitzgerald.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »

I went into the voting booth with my parents in 2008. They voted for Obama and probably some other people who I don't remember at the moment.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »

That's honestly awful
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

I don't think so.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »

Yes, I registered as a voter before I became a citizen and nobody even questioned me. I did not vote and I did not inhale.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies