Sabato TRUMP VP Shortlist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:10:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sabato TRUMP VP Shortlist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sabato TRUMP VP Shortlist  (Read 1288 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

Listed Alphabetically:

1. Brewer
2. Brown
3. Capito
4. Christie
5. Corker
6. Ernst
7. Fischer
8. Fallin
9. Gingrich
10. Graham (listed as a joke, not as an actual possibility)
11. Kasich
12. LePage
13. Perdue
14. Portman
15. Scott, Rick
16. Scott, Tim
17. Sessions
18. Thune
19. Walker
20. Webb (D)

They also acknowledge that they didn't predict TRUMP's nomination, and therefore can't be counted on here either, meaning it's possible that TRUMP's pick isn't mentioned above.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-veepstakes-part-two-trumps-temptation/
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:24:04 AM »

Capito? Fischer? Perdue?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:26:13 AM »

As I said in the stickied thread, Trump would be smart to consider Kay Bailey Hutchison to add conservative and establishment cred to the ticket while softening many of his rough edges.  I'm not sure she would accept, but she seems to be the best potential choice left out of the ones who haven't ruled themselves out yet.

Anyway, this list mostly sucks.  I have no idea why they'd put Shelley Moore Capito so high on the list when she's pro-choice.  That's an immediate disqualifier.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »

As I said in the stickied thread, Trump would be smart to consider Kay Bailey Hutchison to add conservative and establishment cred to the ticket while softening many of his rough edges.  I'm not sure she would accept, but she seems to be the best potential choice left out of the ones who haven't ruled themselves out yet.

Anyway, this list mostly sucks.  I have no idea why they'd put Shelley Moore Capito so high on the list when she's pro-choice.  That's an immediate disqualifier.

The list isn't meant to be seen as most likely-least likely, it's just straight alphabetical order.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »

There is no way in hell KBH would sign up for that. She was more than slightly pissed off that McCain passed her over in '08 and picked Sarah Palin of all people. She's not going to play second fiddle to what Sarah Palin would be if she were a rich, angry anthropomorphic circus peanut.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »

1. Ticket age average would be 70
2. Lost
3. Doesn't bring anything to the ticket apart from a spare woman card
4. 29% approval rating
5. Doubt he'd agree
6. Okay, this one makes sense
7. Very new to the national scene
8. Lol
9. See 8
10. Literal joke
11. Won one state
12. I guess doubling down can work sometimes
13. Who?
14. See 5
15. There is no good and evil. There is only power and those too weak to seek it.
16. Maybe
17. RIP pivot
18. Low energy
19. Lost
20. From the party of the Great Satan
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:41:28 AM »

There is no way in hell KBH would sign up for that. She was more than slightly pissed off that McCain passed her over in '08 and picked Sarah Palin of all people. She's not going to play second fiddle to what Sarah Palin would be if she were a rich, angry anthropomorphic circus peanut.

Yeah, I acknowledge she'd probably say no, but he might as well give it a shot.  I can't think of anyone who would add as much to the ticket as she.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 12:52:19 AM by Maxwell »

Shelley Moore Capito strikes me as the only potential woman addition to the ticket that would not be a complete disaster. A very prolific legislator, very popular in her state, not a rabble rouser, fairly moderate for a Republican in 2016. If she hadn't just got elected to the Senate, she strikes me as the perfect pick for the reason that she does no damage and adds #TheWomanCard.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense as a response to the accusation that Trump is anti-woman and not into policy and needs someone who contrasts that. And unlike someone like Susan Collins, you can sell Capito to the base.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »

Shelley Moore Capito strikes me as the only potential woman addition to the ticket that would not be a complete disaster. A very prolific legislator, very popular in her state, not a rabble rouser, fairly moderate for a Republican in 2016. If she hadn't just got elected to the Senate, she strikes me as the perfect pick for the reason that she does no damage and adds #TheWomanCard.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense as a response to the accusation that Trump is anti-woman and not into policy and needs someone who contrasts that. And unlike someone like Susan Collins, you can sell Capito to the base.

No.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

AW HELL NO.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:21 PM »

I want to think Capito respects herself too much to even consider it.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 12:33:57 AM »

Wait, isn't her record from the National Right to Life Committee very high? I know she has voted in favor of stem cell research (as a pro-lifer myself, I see no real arguments against it, I think it does too much good to be evil, but back to the topic), and has a 55% rating during the Bush years while in the House, but I think her rating has gone up since.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »

Wait, isn't her record from the National Right to Life Committee very high? I know she has voted in favor of stem cell research (as a pro-lifer myself, I see no real arguments against it, I think it does too much good to be evil, but back to the topic), and has a 55% rating during the Bush years while in the House, but I think her rating has gone up since.

The Republican Party has moved the goalposts so far on the abortion issue that simply supporting access to birth control has become equated with being a baby killer. Shelley Moore Capito is a baby killer in their eyes.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 02:24:47 AM »

This is the worst list of possible vp picks I have ever seen.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 02:31:07 AM »

Sabato made a list of potential Hillary running mates which included Ken Salazar, Bill Nelson, Terry McAuliffe, Evan Bayh, and Tom Vilsack.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »

Sabato made a list of potential Hillary running mates which included Ken Salazar, Bill Nelson, Terry McAuliffe, Evan Bayh, and Tom Vilsack.

So, swing-staters, ultra-moderates, or both?
Rick Grimes
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 06:19:44 PM »

jim webb would be a good pick to get reagan dems in michigan & wisconsin and i know alot in iowa who might swing over if that is the case. ithink clinton will pick mark wanrer though.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »

jim webb would be a good pick to get reagan dems in michigan & wisconsin and i know alot in iowa who might swing over if that is the case. ithink clinton will pick mark wanrer though.

*sighs*
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies