Forget everything you know. This is a realigning election.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Forget everything you know. This is a realigning election.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forget everything you know. This is a realigning election.  (Read 797 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »

This election has broken and will continue to break all the rules.  It will blow away the old red/blue firewalls.  Trump is not a typical GOP candidate, he will lose support in traditional GOP areas and gain support in traditional Dem areas.  We could very well see something like this:

Clinton 315
Trump 223

I mean, who knows?  Your guess is as good as mine.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »

LOL. This map is not going to happen.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:46:27 PM »

Everyone last July: LOL, Trump is not going to be the nominee.

I'm not saying this map is going to happen.  I am saying I have a suspicion the map we do see is going to look like an LOL map today.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »

Trump is not winning FL or Maine or Wisconsin or New Jersey. Clinton is not winning Utah or South Carolina or Mississippi. Forget about it.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »

Trump is not winning FL or Maine or Wisconsin or New Jersey. Clinton is not winning Utah or South Carolina or Mississippi. Forget about it.

When Trump surges among white suburbanites, and evangelicals and Mormons abandon him in droves?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:29 PM »

Realignment election =/= half the states flipping.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:28 PM »

Everything that's happened so far, shouldn't have happened.  The fact that Trump is the nominee, hell, anything is on the table at this point.  We call Trump crazy when he talks about making NY and CA competitive.  Now I'm not sure he's crazy.  Up is down and black is white.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »

Trump could certainly win Florida. The rest of those flips are extremely unlikely.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »

As one of those who never underestimated Trump, I call this map highly implausible.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »

When Trump surges among white suburbanites, and evangelicals and Mormons abandon him in droves?

The Trump persona will not play well in the upper Midwest, and even if Mormons abandon him in droves, it will only lock down NV and flip AZ. It won't be enough to flip UT.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »

The Trump persona will not play well in the upper Midwest, and even if Mormons abandon him in droves, it will only lock down NV and flip AZ. It won't be enough to flip UT.

Absent a strong Romney write-in campaign, or something even more substantial in the same direction...
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

As one of those who never underestimated Trump, I call this map highly implausible.

It's impossible, but only because it's one of hundreds of possible LOL permutations, one of which I think will happen.

I think if someone showed us November's map NOW, we'd look at it like they grew an arm out of their forehead.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »

LMFAO at people not getting the joke.

You forgot to say that Christie will deliver NJ for Trump and that many experts have said that "Clinton is the candidate who could bring the South back to the democrats."
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »

I'm still not sure what a "realigning election" is.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »

LMFAO at people not getting the joke.

You forgot to say that Christie will deliver NJ for Trump and that many experts have said that "Clinton is the candidate who could bring the South back to the democrats."

If Christie is on the ticket NJ goes 70% for Clinton.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »

It's impossible, but only because it's one of hundreds of possible LOL permutations, one of which I think will happen.

I think if someone showed us November's map NOW, we'd look at it like they grew an arm out of their forehead.

Really?  All I see from the polling is that Romney '12 states minus NC will all go to Trump with smaller margins, plus maybe Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Florida.  Nothing too unusual.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »

This "Utah going for Hillary" silliness must end. It's not funny, it's not clever and, most of all, it doesn't make any sense.

Sometimes I wish we would disable the EVC until November, because deformed maps posted frequently on this board are worse than Victor Frankenstein's creation.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »

Also, with respect to the "None of this should have ever happened" claim, keep in mind that Trump has led every national primary poll for over half a year.  The polls are still pretty reliable.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »

This is are realigning election. But I would be more sanguine about NJ. The realignment is going to happen on the nativism/diversity axis. NJ is quite diverse.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 02:59:16 PM by Virginia »

I'm still not sure what a "realigning election" is.

It's an election where coalitions of voters change somewhat substantially and lead to a party rising or falling from dominance. FDR's 1932 election ushered in generations of Democratic control, while arguably 1968 was the beginning of Republican dominance at the presidential level until 1992, where their success soon trickled down to Congressional races in 1994 (albeit after they lost their presidential dominance). 1992 I believe was sort of the start of a realignment towards Democrats, but wouldn't become apparent until 1996 - 2008, when demographics and an entire generation (Millennials) that is overwhelmingly Democratic, like, FDR-levels, finally asserted their electoral power. A lot of this is due to Millennials being heavily diverse and overall much more liberal lots of issues.

If you want my personal take - I don't believe single elections tend to cause a real realignment. FDR/1932 was an aberration due to the depression, and FDR's New Deal cemented their power. I believe realignments take place over many years, and the major elections we see are just the manifestation of the realignment. It is simply the result of long-changing public attitudes and/or demographic changes that modify party coalitions. Realignments don't always cause the newly-dominant party to control all branches of government, either. In Democrats case right now, we have a coalition that is heavily influential and formidable at the presidential level, which could give us several more elections before Republicans break it, but because our coalition's power comes from 18 - 40 year olds and almost unanimous support from minorities, both of which have poor midterm turnout rates, we won't see Congressional dominance until the 2020s, most likely. This is very similar to how Republicans dominated presidential races from 1968 - 1992, but not Congress. As soon as their presidential dominance ended, their voters grew old enough where they started voting more in midterms, and finally overpowered Democrats downballot.

I love this subject, and I could go on even more, but I won't Tongue

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Agreed. However, I do think that we will be presented with more than a few surprises come November.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »

Also, with respect to the "None of this should have ever happened" claim, keep in mind that Trump has led every national primary poll for over half a year.  The polls are still pretty reliable.

I agree and I'll add as well that what enabled him to win in the first place was a bitterly divided field of candidates who were all essentially saying the same thing.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 07:18:53 PM by President Griffin »

In terms of a "realignment" election and what would maximally-feasible, I think something like this is the most out there that one could still realistically expect:

EDIT: Crap, looks like someone else beat me to it
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

"Trump won the primary, SO NOW ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" is going to be the single most annoying meme of this election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies