If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:42:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November...  (Read 4119 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »

Who does Terry McAuliffe appoint to fill his senate seat? Any guesses? My guess would be Mark Herring, the current Attorney General
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

Herring is probably his best bet, since Lt. Governor Ralph Northam wants to be governor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »

I would say if Kaine (or Warner) is picked as Hillary's VP and he is VP-elect, Gov. McAuliffe may appoint:

-Most likely Mark Herring.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »

I would say if Kaine (or Warner) is picked as Hillary's VP and he is VP-elect, Gov. McAuliffe may appoint:

Warner is a no-no for VP, he is the wealthiest Senator. That would not go well with Bernie supporters. His record also used to be (and still is) very moderate. He even backs TPP (but I think Kaine does too), and has a pro-trade record. Kaine also seems more charismatic, plus he speaks Spanish so that should help Clinton with Hispanic outreach (not that she needs any more with Trump topping the Republican ticket).0
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »

Probably Herring or Perriello.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

Herring. McAulife is the shrewd political type who would definitely choose someone who could hold down that seat.

Perriello would be my fantasy pick, but I'm not sure if he would be willing to leave his diplomat job.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »

Perriello has a big fan base on here. Could someone please explain this?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 10:52:34 PM by publicunofficial »

He gets major points on two fronts.

1) He took out Virgil Goode, who was and still is a complete asshole.

2) During the 2010 race, unlike a lot of other Democrats in conservative districts, Perriello made no effort to distance himself from his voting record, and instead ran on conviction politics. Instead of distancing himself from Obama, he was one of the few who made campaign appearances with him. He is very much in the Sherrod Brown or Jon Tester mold, a progressive who is as liberal as they can be for the constituency they represent (Perriello had an A rating from the NRA during his one term in Congress, as an example of his concessions).

To quote him on his pro Cap and Trade vote: "There’s got to be something more important than getting reelected, if I lose my seat, and that’s the worst that happens, I could live with that. "

Also, since leaving office, rather than just slink off to some lobbying firm like a lot of the 2010 losers did; he has served as President for the Center for American Progress, and currently as a envoy to Africa for the Obama Administration.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:11:24 PM »

Warner is a no-no for VP, he is the wealthiest Senator. That would not go well with Bernie supporters. His record also used to be (and still is) very moderate. He even backs TPP (but I think Kaine does too), and has a pro-trade record. Kaine also seems more charismatic, plus he speaks Spanish so that should help Clinton with Hispanic outreach (not that she needs any more with Trump topping the Republican ticket).0

He also barely survived reelection, which is even more embarrassing for someone who's long been called the most popular politician in the state and a candidate for national office.

Remember the election night? We were all like "how the hell is this happening?"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »

Unlikely shot-in-the-dark but for teh lulz and still a decent suggestion for holding it down:

Creigh Deeds
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »

1) He took out Virgil Goode, who was and still is a complete asshole.
An asshole with a sweet tidewater accent, mind you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:07 AM »

*bump*

WaPo has a list of possibilities, as well as some Republicans who might run for the seat if it's up next year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/tim-kaine-as-vice-president-that-would-leave-a-key-opening-in-the-senate/2016/07/17/72f0e13c-452e-11e6-bc99-7d269f8719b1_story.html
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:09 AM »

2) During the 2010 race, unlike a lot of other Democrats in conservative districts, Perriello made no effort to distance himself from his voting record, and instead ran on conviction politics. Instead of distancing himself from Obama, he was one of the few who made campaign appearances with him. He is very much in the Sherrod Brown or Jon Tester mold, a progressive who is as liberal as they can be for the constituency they represent (Perriello had an A rating from the NRA during his one term in Congress, as an example of his concessions).

Yeah, Perriello would be the most high energy pick.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 01:19:38 AM »

Is Lawrence D. Wilder, Jr., a potential nominee? He's Douglas Wilder's son and served two years in the State House.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »

McAullife needs to pick the candidate with the best shot at dispatching Cuccinelli or Comstock, both in 2017 and 2018, and that's either Gerry Connolly or Mark Herring to me.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh god.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »

I guess the republican establishment will (try) to nominate Barbara Comstock is she's reelected?

For the democrats, maybe Terry Mcauliffe himself?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »

I guess the republican establishment will (try) to nominate Barbara Comstock is she's reelected?

They will definitely try, because NOVA, woman, etc. But that's why VA-10 is such an important house race because Comstock's political future is on the line.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

McAullife needs to pick the candidate with the best shot at dispatching Cuccinelli or Comstock, both in 2017 and 2018, and that's either Gerry Connolly or Mark Herring to me.

Oh god.
Don Beyer is who I think McAuliffe would appoint (NOVA Congressman, former Lt. Governor). And if there's a Senate race in 2017, Wittman could jump into this one since he's behind Gillespie in the governor race.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »

Oh god.
Don Beyer is who I think McAuliffe would appoint (NOVA Congressman, former Lt. Governor). And if there's a Senate race in 2017, Wittman could jump into this one since he's behind Gillespie in the governor race.

Don Beyer is one option McAuliffe could choose.

From what I understand Northam wants to be Governor and Herring is focused on getting reelected as AG so they are probably unlikely.

Alot of Democrats have promoted Bobby Scott but he is far too liberal to win outside his district.

The VA GOP actually has a decent bench. Comstock is a possible choice, and I could easily see Wittman jumping the Governor's race to run for Senate.

Also since they are now both out of the job come November Randy Forbes and Scott Riggell are interesting possiblites too. Even Ken Cuccinelli maybe esp. since he is starting to look like a moderate hero out of this whole mess with Trump.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

Oh god.

Don Beyer is one option McAuliffe could choose.

From what I understand Northam wants to be Governor and Herring is focused on getting reelected as AG so they are probably unlikely.

Alot of Democrats have promoted Bobby Scott but he is far too liberal to win outside his district.

The VA GOP actually has a decent bench. Comstock is a possible choice, and I could easily see Wittman jumping the Governor's race to run for Senate.

Also since they are now both out of the job come November Randy Forbes and Scott Riggell are interesting possiblites too. Even Ken Cuccinelli maybe esp. since he is starting to look like a moderate hero out of this whole mess with Trump.

I doubt that Scott Rigell would angle for Tim Kaine's Senate seat because he's done with Congress as a whole.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »

McAuliffe wants to move into the Senate himself
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

Yeah the Governor → Senator pipeline has been pretty consistent considering George Allen, Mark Warner, and Tim Kaine. I bet McDonnell would've tried to run in 2014 before the corruption stuff. If McAullife is to follow the trend, I think he'll appoint someone he knows will step aside in 2018, but I don't think that's a good idea quite honestly.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 08:06:20 PM »

Congratulations, future Senator Dave Brat.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »

Yeah the Governor → Senator pipeline has been pretty consistent considering George Allen, Mark Warner, and Tim Kaine. I bet McDonnell would've tried to run in 2014 before the corruption stuff. If McAullife is to follow the trend, I think he'll appoint someone he knows will step aside in 2018, but I don't think that's a good idea quite honestly.

Given that McAuliffe has legal problems of his own I don't think he will run for Senate. He will remain aside for another Democrat to attempt to hold the seat.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »

Congratulations, future Senator Dave Brat.

That's probably one person that would not win statewide, even in an off-year.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies