If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:00:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Tim Kaine is selected as Hillary's VP and they win in November...  (Read 4126 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 23, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

Assuming they lose the Senate this year, Republicans don't even need VA in 2018 to win back the Senate then. Someone like Barbara Comstock could win, but I'd rate this race Tilt D for now.
Republicans can win 10 seats in 2018 assuming Clinton wins (which is likely),
I'm sure they will screw up some races because this is the Republicans so they will end up picking up from 6 to 9 seats, 8 would be my guess right now.

lol
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »

Assuming they lose the Senate this year, Republicans don't even need VA in 2018 to win back the Senate then. Someone like Barbara Comstock could win, but I'd rate this race Tilt D for now.
I'm sure they will screw up some races because this is the Republicans so they will end up picking up from 6 to 9 seats, 8 would be my guess right now.

lol
Great analysis!

I mean this with all due respect (and not in the a**hole way people say that on C-Span, I really don't mean this as an insult or anything, even though it may sound a bit harsh), the idea that we know anything about what 2018 will look like right now (much less, that a particular party will gain 6-10 seats) is beyond ridiculous.  "Lol" was exactly the response that the post warranted.  I don't mean to single you out Windjammer because you're actually a pretty good poster, but folks on this forum really need to stop trying to make predictions like this when we're not even through the current election cycle.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »

lol
Great analysis!

I mean this with all due respect (and not in the a**hole way people say that on C-Span, I really don't mean this as an insult or anything, even though it may sound a bit harsh), the idea that we know anything about what 2018 will look like right now (much less, that a particular party will gain 6-10 seats) is beyond ridiculous.  "Lol" was exactly the response that the post warranted.  I don't mean to single you out Windjammer because you're actually a pretty good poster, but folks on this forum really need to stop trying to make predictions like this when we're not even through the current election cycle.
Well, if Hillary Clinton wins in 2016 (which seems to be likely), I don't see how 2018 could end up being a favourable year for the democrats. Midterms are most of the time bad for the incumbent party, they were bad for the GOP in 2006 and they were bad for the democratic party in 2010 and 2014.
Considering the democrats will have many many seats to defend, many of them in clearly republican states, I really believe that the democrats are going to lose many seats.
I know it may seem a bit early, but this is a political forum and I'm a political nerd sooooo,... Tongue  I obviously hope I will be wrong though.

The Pubs did fine in 2002 Tongue  This whole idea that we know what 2018 is gonna look like already is silly.  Did anyone think Trump would be the Republican nominee in 2014?  Of course not.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »

Well,
I guess this will be a GOP pick up in 2018.

Isn't the special election in 2017, not 2018?

Yes, but for now I believe Republicans would be likelier to pick up this seat in 2018 than in 2017. In 2017, it's possible this seat is saved, not in 2018.

There's really no basis for assuming that, we don't even know who the candidates will be.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:41:24 AM »

Well,

Yes, but for now I believe Republicans would be likelier to pick up this seat in 2018 than in 2017. In 2017, it's possible this seat is saved, not in 2018.

There's really no basis for assuming that, we don't even know who the candidates will be.
The basis is I dont believe Clinton would be too unpopular in 2017 to drag VA dems down, but in 2018 however.

Not every midterm will be a Republican wave and candidates matter.  At this point in 2004  the media was talking about a permanent Republican congressional majority and no one thought 2010 would be a huge Republican wave at this point in 2008.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »

Well,

The basis is I dont believe Clinton would be too unpopular in 2017 to drag VA dems down, but in 2018 however.

Not every midterm will be a Republican wave and candidates matter.  At this point in 2004  the media was talking about a permanent Republican congressional majority and no one thought 2010 would be a huge Republican wave at this point in 2008.
Of course not every midterm will be a Republican wave, when they will regain the presidency in the future, it will be a democrat wave Tongue

Like how 2002 was a Democratic wave and 1998 was a Republican wave?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »

Well,

Of course not every midterm will be a Republican wave, when they will regain the presidency in the future, it will be a democrat wave Tongue

Like how 2002 was a Democratic wave and 1998 was a Republican wave?
16 years ago, politics have changed.

And can easily change again...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies