Is it weird the Libertarian ticket has more political experience than the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:12:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is it weird the Libertarian ticket has more political experience than the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it weird the Libertarian ticket has more political experience than the GOP?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is it weird the Libertarian ticket has more political experience than the GOP?  (Read 280 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 05:39:07 PM »

Is it weird the Libertarian ticket has more political (and not just political, but also governing) experience... compared to whatever the GOP ticket is with Trump at its head?

Two former governors... versus a celebrity businessman and whoever he picks to be his apprentice.

The Green Party is still a joke... but the Libertarian Party is serious this year. Didn't expect myself to say this, but this (combined with Johnson polling at 10% in a new poll) has changed my mind.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »

If the Libertarians get in the debates, they will likely poll close to 10%.  They will become a meaningful way to vote for "None of the Above".
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 05:52:09 PM by Sanders beats Trump »

The Green party has a good platform. The reason that they don't have experience is a catch 22.

They don't have experience because they don't get elected. The reason they don't get elected is they don't have experience. Jill Stein is certainly a good candidate, of course.

Obama didn't have a lot of experience when he became president, either. Don't forget that. Sanders has been in the Senate longer than either Obama or Clinton.

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

I voted no, because weird is not the right word. It is not the norm, but that doesn't make it weird.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »

*the most likely Libertarian ticket

I think that Johnson/Weld will be the ticket that comes out of the convention, but it's not a guarantee. You guys need to keep in mind that the LP national convention will involve a couple of governors with political insider ties making their cases to a delegation that includes a bunch of anarchists. Anything could happen.

I've pretty much switched from supporting McAfee to supporting this Johnson/Weld ticket, largely because of the political experience imbalance in favor of the Libertarians that it provides. It would be great to boast.

Atlas Forum members will love this breakdown of a poll that was done on 47 LP delegates: http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/05/iprs-second-2016-libertarian-party-presidential-preference-poll-detailed-results/
It has Johnson not winning until 5 ballots, when he somewhat narrowly defeats Darryl W. Perry. Admittedly, IPR's readership tends to be more radical than the LP as a whole, but it may hint at a struggle for Johnson. One particularly good thing for Johnson to come out of that poll is that Johnson--not McAfee--looks likely to pull Petersen supporters as their second choice, moreso than McAfee pulls Perry supporters. So Johnson doesn't have a clear 2nd place challenger at this point, at least.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »

If the Libertarians get in the debates, they will likely poll close to 10%.  They will become a meaningful way to vote for "None of the Above".

Yup. I'll probably be throwing my vote to the Libertarian, given that California will be voting for Hillary and I'd like to see viable third party candidates running in the future. I'd love to see the Libertarians end up with 10% of the vote -- that would be HUGE.

But no, it's definitely an unusual cycle, but there's nothing "weird" about Trump running. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that it's taken this long for a non-politician to throw his hat in the ring.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »

But no, it's definitely an unusual cycle, but there's nothing "weird" about Trump running. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that it's taken this long for a non-politician to throw his hat in the ring.

Willkie, Jesse Jackson, Robertson, Perot, Buchanan, Forbes, Clark, Cain...?

Yeah, it really did take a while, especially considering 3 of these people ran decent GE campaigns, while 3 of the other 5 led in the primary polls at one point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies