HI-1: Takai retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:40:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI-1: Takai retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: HI-1: Takai retiring  (Read 3322 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »

Hanabusa is very much a DLC type. Certainly can get a lot worse as far as Hawaii Democrats go (Some are literal DINO's) but it hasn't endeared her to progressives.

If there's someone who can get more seniority in the seat and is more liberal I'd probably like them, but Hanabusa is a strong, safe choice.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »

Hanabusa is very much a DLC type. Certainly can get a lot worse as far as Hawaii Democrats go (Some are literal DINO's) but it hasn't endeared her to progressives.

If there's someone who can get more seniority in the seat and is more liberal I'd probably like them, but Hanabusa is a strong, safe choice.

Agreed. The chances of an open seat attracting someone WORSE than Hanabusa (Donna Kim) is far more likely than the chances of attracting someone more progressive.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »

Well, a person who got 5% from ACU  in 2014 (even if she got only 60% from ADA because of some missed votes) is liberal enough for me. In fact - in any district...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »

I mean, she's 65 so it's not like she'll be in the seat an eternity; she might be stupid and try to run for higher office of some sort and retire from the House seat.

I could also see her in a HRC Administration as well, so there is that. Labor secretary seems to be calling her name.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »

You can definitely do worse in Hawaii (like Donna Mercado Kim, Mufi Hanneman, Tulsi Gabbard, ect. ect.)

I mean someone who could gain a large amount of seniority for Hawaii would be better, but there are a lot of socon blue dog weirdos in Hawaii to where Hanabusa is pretty acceptable.

This.  Of cours, Head Case was the worst (fortunately, he seems to be done running for office).  And the thing is that whoever wins this seat will likely have it for as long as they want it.  Given the alternatives, I can live with Hanabusa.  I'd prefer someone more progressive, but Hawaii is pretty unique as far as blue states go.  There is an extremely powerful and right-wing evangelical community there that will sometimes try to influence Democratic primaries, more than a few blatant DINOs (ex: Ed Case and Mufi Hannemann, although the former was a pretty strong supporter of gay rights oddly enough), and there are also a bunch of non-evangelical SoCons floating around (Donna Mercado Kim and especially Tulsi "homosexual extremists have infested our state" Gabbard).  Tulsi Gabbard is awful for so many reasons (despite her flip-flops on some social issues since being elected to the U.S. House) that it always blows my mind when I see any red-avatar on this site call her a FF.  On the other hand, you've also got a faction consisting of the types of liberals you'd expect to find in Hawaii (folks like Abercrombie and Schatz) 

There are a few other blue states like Rhode Island where there are enough right-wingers in the state party that the statewide primaries are often showdowns between conservaDems and liberals, but Hawaii is basically on its own level in that regard.  I should mention that it is important not to confuse a Hawaii/Rhode Island situation with the one in New York.  Andrew Cuomo, most of the IDC, and their allies (with a few notable exceptions like certain conservaDem orthodox Jewish politicians and Reuben Diaz's political machine, the latter of which is run by a man who has spoken very favorably about Trump this cycle IIRC) do not act the way they do for ideological reasons. 

TL;DR: Normally I'd be pissed about someone like Hanabusa becoming a possible lifer in a safe Democratic seat, but because of the idiosyncrasies of Hawaii Democratic politics, I'll reluctantly settle for her in this case simply because it could be so much worse.  I could totally see Hannemann jumping in if Hanabusa weren't running and he could win in a crowded field.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »

You can definitely do worse in Hawaii (like Donna Mercado Kim, Mufi Hanneman, Tulsi Gabbard, ect. ect.)

I mean someone who could gain a large amount of seniority for Hawaii would be better, but there are a lot of socon blue dog weirdos in Hawaii to where Hanabusa is pretty acceptable.

This.  Of cours, Head Case was the worst (fortunately, he seems to be done running for office).  And the thing is that whoever wins this seat will likely have it for as long as they want it.  Given the alternatives, I can live with Hanabusa.  I'd prefer someone more progressive, but Hawaii is pretty unique as far as blue states go.  There is an extremely powerful and right-wing evangelical community there that will sometimes try to influence Democratic primaries, more than a few blatant DINOs (ex: Ed Case and Mufi Hannemann, although the former was a pretty strong supporter of gay rights oddly enough), and there are also a bunch of non-evangelical SoCons floating around (Donna Mercado Kim and especially Tulsi "homosexual extremists have infested our state" Gabbard).  Tulsi Gabbard is awful for so many reasons (despite her flip-flops on some social issues since being elected to the U.S. House) that it always blows my mind when I see any red-avatar on this site call her a FF.  On the other hand, you've also got a faction consisting of the types of liberals you'd expect to find in Hawaii (folks like Abercrombie and Schatz) 

There are a few other blue states like Rhode Island where there are enough right-wingers in the state party that the statewide primaries are often showdowns between conservaDems and liberals, but Hawaii is basically on its own level in that regard.  I should mention that it is important not to confuse a Hawaii/Rhode Island situation with the one in New York.  Andrew Cuomo, most of the IDC, and their allies (with a few notable exceptions like certain conservaDem orthodox Jewish politicians and Reuben Diaz's political machine, the latter of which is run by a man who has spoken very favorably about Trump this cycle IIRC) do not act the way they do for ideological reasons. 

TL;DR: Normally I'd be pissed about someone like Hanabusa becoming a possible lifer in a safe Democratic seat, but because of the idiosyncrasies of Hawaii Democratic politics, I'll reluctantly settle for her in this case simply because it could be so much worse.  I could totally see Hannemann jumping in if Hanabusa weren't running and he could win in a crowded field.
Regarding Abercombrie, I'm not sure the liberal label fits him, if I recall correctly, his pension plan really pissed off the unions.

Hanabusa is fine, I supported her 2 years ago and I will support her again.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »

At only 45 years old, I don't see why Charles Djou wouldn't take another shot at this seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »

At only 45 years old, I don't see why Charles Djou wouldn't take another shot at this seat.

It's Presidential year, not a midterm election. Chances are far from being good..
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »

Hawaii really has the most interesting politics of any U.S. State IMO.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »

Hawaii really has the most interesting politics of any U.S. State IMO.

One of the most interesting. But, IMO, Louisiana is better)))
JMT

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:17 AM »

Well he's now lost three consecutive general elections for this seat (2010, 2012, and 2014), and the 2014 race was during a giant Republican wave and the incumbent wasn't running for reelection. Hanabusa, despite not currently holding the seat, is probably still better known than Takai, and would defeat Djou easily in a presidential year. It would be dumb for him to run, I think he needs to take a break from running for office for awhile and maybe make a return to politics later on by running for governor or something (some office less partisan than congress or senate).
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »

A friend informed me of this the other day. So glad to see HanabUSA returning to Congress! Endorsed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 08:23:56 AM »

Gabbard and Dan Lipinski are true progressive FFs because they endorsed Bernie. Sherrod Brown, Al Franken, and Tammy Baldwin are right wing DINOs because they endorsed the neoliberal shrill harpy bitch.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »

Gabbard and Dan Lipinski are true progressive FFs because they endorsed Bernie. Sherrod Brown, Al Franken, and Tammy Baldwin are right wing DINOs because they endorsed the neoliberal shrill harpy bitch.

This is literally the same thing that Jfern does. You just brought up the 2016 Democratic primary and your biases in a completely unrelated context. You're better than this, IceSpear.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »

This is literally the same thing that Jfern does. You just brought up the 2016 Democratic primary and your biases in a completely unrelated context. You're better than this, IceSpear.

Not quite. He was wondering why so many Democrats suddenly had a boner for Gabbard. Aside from her looks (no pun intended), it was due to her resigning from the DNC and endorsing Bernie. I doubt many of them even know about her "colorful" past.

Hell, some of the militant Bernie people have even disowned Warren as a "neoliberal sellout" for staying neutral, lol. It is a fact that one's endorsement is a litmus test to many in the cult, and everything else is irrelevant.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »

Not quite. He was wondering why so many Democrats suddenly had a boner for Gabbard. Aside from her looks (no pun intended), it was due to her resigning from the DNC and endorsing Bernie. I doubt many of them even know about her "colorful" past.

Hell, some of the militant Bernie people have even disowned Warren as a "neoliberal sellout" for staying neutral, lol. It is a fact that one's endorsement is a litmus test to many in the cult, and everything else is irrelevant.

Sadly, you're probably right in this case.  Speaking of Sanders, I gotta admit he seems to be going off the deep end lately.  Sad, to say the least.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 11:24:56 PM »

So why did Gabbard endorse Sanders? I was very surprised when I heard about that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 11:36:42 PM »

So why did Gabbard endorse Sanders? I was very surprised when I heard about that.

Most Hawaii Democrats seem to prefer Sanders over Clinton. It could serve as a wedge issue in a future statewide campaign.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »

Appealing to Hawaii primary voters.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

To be fair, though, some of the biggest Bernie supporters were the same people calling her out for acting like a magic progressive 4 years ago. I don't think it's lost on anyone her past, but many, including me, have chosen to forget it considering the dramatic U-Turn she's made.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »

To be fair, though, some of the biggest Bernie supporters were the same people calling her out for acting like a magic progressive 4 years ago. I don't think it's lost on anyone her past, but many, including me, have chosen to forget it considering the dramatic U-Turn she's made.

There's also plenty of r/sanders4president types who are completely ignorant of any politician who isn't Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. There are people on there who legit believe that Colin Peterson and Dan Lipinski are progressive stalwarts.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »

There's also plenty of r/sanders4president types who are completely ignorant of any politician who isn't Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. There are people on there who legit believe that Colin Peterson and Dan Lipinski are progressive stalwarts.

I really can't comprehend that; if you're that pumped about politics, why don't you check out lower-level candidates to see if you can help similar candidates to Bernie?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »

I really can't comprehend that; if you're that pumped about politics, why don't you check out lower-level candidates to see if you can help similar candidates to Bernie?

They're not pumped about politics. They're pumped about Bernie. They're more enthused about primarying Hillary backers than taking out any Republicans.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »

They're not pumped about politics. They're pumped about Bernie. They're more enthused about primarying Hillary backers than taking out any Republicans.

But that is no doubt because they see Hillary backers as being worse than Republicans.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »

Reddit in general has a habit of putting too much stock into single issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies