House Republicans switch votes at last minute to kill anti-discrimination amend.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Republicans switch votes at last minute to kill anti-discrimination amend.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House Republicans switch votes at last minute to kill anti-discrimination amend.  (Read 1357 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Hill

Fcking cowards.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »

And they wonder why they keep getting called bigots.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »

According to Hoyer's office, the vote switchers in question were Issa, Valadao, Denham, Walden, Walters, Poliquin, and Young.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »

Now, now, they're entitled to their "religious freedom" just like the other bigots.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »

According to Hoyer's office, the vote switchers in question were Issa, Valadao, Denham, Walden, Walters, Poliquin, and Young.

Valadao, Denham and Poliquin are gone next year, then.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »

Valadao and Poliquin are not in districts where this vote is going to hurt them.. Not that an irrelevant vote like this would have an effect on a congressional race anyway.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »

Valadao and Poliquin are not in districts where this vote is going to hurt them.. Not that an irrelevant vote like this would have an effect on a congressional race anyway.

Valadao is from a D+2 district with a growing Hispanic population.  Poliquin was basically a rental from the beginning.  Trump is on the ballot.  They're gone.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »

Valadao is from a D+2 district with a growing Hispanic population.  Poliquin was basically a rental from the beginning.  Trump is on the ballot.  They're gone.
Not all D+2 districts are the same.  It's not gonna hurt Valadao in a central valley district, and his opponent will not likely attack him on it.  Same for Poliquin.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

First question, have you been to ME-2 before, I was literally there last weekend and this was big Trump terrority there were a lot of social conservatives.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »

First question, have you been to ME-2 before, I was literally there last weekend and this was big Trump terrority there were a lot of social conservatives.

Oh, I'm convinced then.  Safe R.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »

It's not Safe R, but this issue isn't going to definitely kill his chances, it will likely help him with people who voted for Richardson in 2014 who was very conservative;
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »

It's not Safe R, but this issue isn't going to definitely kill his chances, it will likely help him with people who voted for Richardson in 2014 who was very conservative;
People who voted for Richardson are voting Republican anyway. The real question is whether the independents who voted for Poliquin will pull the lever again. I suspect they won't for multiple reasons. Most of those social conservatives are already solid. SoCons don't swing most elections.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »

Just remember that back in the late 70's, TV Guide commissioned a poll to find out who was the most liked tv celebrity and the most hated. The same guy, Howard Cosell, led in both polls. In many ways, Trump is a modern day Cosell. Not that the analogy is perfect. I'd actually consider voting for Cosell.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »

Horrible people.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »

Ugh.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »

Of course, those 7 Republicans were just the group that SWITCHED votes. There's an even longer list to be made of all the Republicans who voted against this bill from the beginning.

The only Republicans who supported the bill:

Justin Amash, Mike Coffman, Ryan Costello, Carlos Curbelo, Charlie Dent (Co-Sponsor), Mario Diaz-Balart, Robert Dold, Dan Donovan, Tom Emmer (WTF?), Mike Fitzpatrick, Rodney Frelinghuysen, Chris Gibson, Richard Hanna, Joe Heck, Will Hurd, David Jolly, John Katko, Leonard Lance, Frank LoBiondo, Tom MacArthur, Martha McSally, Pat Meehan, Erik Paulsen, Dave Reichert, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Tom Reed, Elise Stefanik, Fred Upton, Lee Zeldin

Matt Salmon, Sam Johnson, and Jaime Herrera Beutler (Who gave birth today) were absent.

Notable names I see missing from that list: Barbara Comstock, Rod Blum, Cresent Hardy, Steve Knight, Scott Garrett, Tim Walberg, Frank Guinta, and Mike Bishop.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »

Disgusting.  These F heads.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »

Maybe, but keep in mind that the Democrats seemed to have made the choice not to contest ME-02, instead opting to nominate sacrificial lamb Emily Cain.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »

Of course, those 7 Republicans were just the group that SWITCHED votes. There's an even longer list to be made of all the Republicans who voted against this bill from the beginning.

Justin Amash, Mike Coffman, Ryan Costello, Carlos Curbelo, Charlie Dent (Co-Sponsor), Mario Diaz-Balart, Robert Dold, Dan Donovan, Tom Emmer (WTF?), Mike Fitzpatrick, Rodney Frelinghuysen, Chris Gibson, Richard Hanna, Joe Heck, Will Hurd, David Jolly, John Katko, Leonard Lance, Frank LoBiondo, Tom MacArthur, Martha McSally, Pat Meehan, Erik Paulsen, Dave Reichert, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Tom Reed, Elise Stefanik, Fred Upton, Lee Zeldin

Matt Salmon, Sam Johnson, and Jaime Herrera Beutler (Who gave birth today) were absent.

Notable names I see missing from that list: Barbara Comstock, Rod Blum, Cresent Hardy, Steve Knight, Scott Garrett, Tim Walberg, Frank Guinta, and Mike Bishop.

A lot of the Republicans PA, NY, and NJ are in the pro-GLBT group.  Charlie Dent is my former congressman, he's from Lehigh Valley, and one of the few Republicans that is a FF.  It's nice to see some young Republicans -- Justin Amash, Ryan Costello, and Elise Stefanik -- on that list.  All of the Republicans on this list come from states that the President won in 2008 and 2012 except one person - TX's Will Hurd.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »

A lot of the Republicans PA, NY, and NJ are in the pro-GLBT group.  Charlie Dent is my former congressman, he's from Lehigh Valley, and one of the few Republicans that is a FF.  It's nice to see some young Republicans -- Justin Amash, Ryan Costello, and Elise Stefanik -- on that list.  All of the Republicans on this list come from states that the President won in 2008 and 2012 except one person - TX's Will Hurd.

I used to live in Dent's district as well, he's one of the few Republicans I like.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »

Hurd's vote makes sense since he's in a swing district where Hispanic turnout tends to spike in presidential years. (West Texas Hispanics aren't particularly socially conservative like Rio Grande Valley Hispanics are.) And at this point pretty much everyone under age 35 in this country thinks it's absurd not to treat gay people equally, including the Republican ones.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 11:56:52 PM »

I'm confused as to why this amendment was even brought forward. Executive Order 13672 already bars federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of "both sexual orientation and gender identity."
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »

Salmon's absence is interesting. He (as far as I know) still opposes SSM even though his son is openly gay. (His son, by the way, is a former chairman of Arizona Log Cabin Republicans, which is a group of Republicans who are pro-LGBT rights.) He is retiring, so it will be interesting to see what he says after. Congratulations to Jaime Herrera Beutler on giving birth! Some, like Coffman and Dold really make sense because they are both in states Obama won twice, and the former's district has been quickly trending Democratic, and the latter's is very socially liberal. Not only are many of the NY, NJ, PA GOP Congressmen more pro-LGBT, but that is an asset since many come from swing districts. I wonder how this effects Comstock, Blum, and Hardy. I hope all 3 win reelection, but they're already facing uphill battles. Emmer really is a huge shock, I remember his unsuccessful governor run was pretty anti-LGBT. He has also joined the Republican Main Street Partnership, so he seems to be moving to the center on social issues.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 01:32:04 AM »

I'm confused as to why this amendment was even brought forward. Executive Order 13672 already bars federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of "both sexual orientation and gender identity."

The Maloney amendment was drafted to overturn a separate amendment that written by Steve Russell (R - OK-05), that was passed. The Russell Amendment would allow defense contractors to fire LGBT workers if they used religious objections as an excuse.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »

The amendment was passed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »