A small map of American colleges I created (in progress)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:41:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  A small map of American colleges I created (in progress)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A small map of American colleges I created (in progress)  (Read 863 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:58 PM »
« edited: May 27, 2016, 11:48:19 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

For the longest time I have searched the Internet for an interactive map of all colleges in the United States. Many user-created ones on Google Maps only included ~50 colleges. The ones from college prep things like Naviance were not very useful at all. Frankly, it was hard enough to find an updated list of colleges since the University of Texas stopped updating its copy - I had to make roughly 15 edits to their list, and I initially added to the map state-by-state to try and ensure all the correct references were made on the map for cases of common college names (a big problem!). (I did not go through to clean up 2-year colleges - I only include those to be thorough. No known purpose yet for me. Local ones look accurate) Figured I may as well share in case any of you want it for any election or other esoteric analysis you all may do.

My color code may be updated to take out the professional schools/hospitals and divide the rest into groupings based on what level their sports play in. If that bothers you and you want just the data, I have very basic, cleaned up csv's for you to upload that should locate on the map. I know this area is more of a personal obsession, but I figured there is no harm in sharing here, eh? Maybe someone could use it for something, and I'll save you some time. Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gEdHpU5hVIfvHXuk53o8Te2zSsc&usp=sharing

e: This is the most updated link. It is more updated than it was when this file was linked to later in the thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »

Nice job, the Omaha metro looks accurate if that means anything to you.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »

You even remembered Salem State University. Amazing job.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 12:00:39 AM »

How on earth do you not have WSU (though you do have its branch campuses) on there?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 03:55:41 AM »

How on earth do you not have WSU (though you do have its branch campuses) on there?

I spent all day updating this, and I did fix this. I cross checked my entire list with the individual Wikipedia lists, which added about 200 more schools/campuses - mostly tiny ones but also Wazzu as you note. The initial list I drew from usually listed the main campus as one of the sub-bullets, but it failed to relist for that and UW.

One of the bigger problems was in the form of a lot of these for-profits with many campuses like DeVry or College of Virginia, which I think I may just leave out in the final thing I am putting together. ITT Tech and stuff were never going to make it anyway. University of Phoenix might get its home branch. That's all secondary for me if I get around to it.

The JuCo list is still a load of garbage but again, not exactly useful for me either way.

I've sorted out all art/culinary/law/grad/healthcare-only schools to use as a removable layer (and another layer of Bible colleges/seminaries), and the rest are officially in their sports division. Will officially put it together tomorrow, but it's time for bed now.

Thanks for the comments! Appreciate the help.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »

nice work.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DTEkL_7n4wPyYLwc7acpiuQaxcc&usp=sharing

The first link has not been updated to show all the new campuses. May get around to it eventually, but it would require some data clean-up.

This new link is layered by sports affiliation, so hopefully that doesn't bother you too much. Likely will not be updating aside from incorrect geographic markers until Google makes the interface more user-friendly (so with my luck, the 5 outstanding D2 applications will be approved this July! Smiley )

In the meantime, I may try and look for more campuses for the universities included - particularly for state college systems and perhaps notable for-profits - just to add to the data file. In case one day I do have time to re-upload all the layers, it will be all ready!

Thanks for all your notes, and if you do see locations incorrectly tagged, do tell me - it's the one thing I can fix easily! Already found two so more probably exist. If you know more campuses, you can send those too, but you may not see them soon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:21:04 AM »

The only obvious problem I saw for South Carolina was that for our technical college system, you're only including the location of the main campus.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »

Very nice work.

I see you have the Southern Illinois University branch campus at Edwardsville. Similarly there is a branch of Western Illinois University - Quad Cities in Moline. Northern Illinois University has a number of satellite campuses in Rockford, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, Oregon, and Chicago.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »

I don't really have the credentials to say if this is completely accurate or not, but I'm happy to see my tiny college wasn't forgotten, so I approve. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »

Interesting that Sacred Heart Seminary is one of the Detroit bubbles... Is that intentional?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 12:51:34 PM »

Very nice work.

I see you have the Southern Illinois University branch campus at Edwardsville. Similarly there is a branch of Western Illinois University - Quad Cities in Moline. Northern Illinois University has a number of satellite campuses in Rockford, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, Oregon, and Chicago.

Quad Cities was on the second map, but thank you for the NIU info. Will look into that plus Sacred Heart Seminary. Not sure about the SC technical schools buy will try my best if they are public.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »

NYC looks good (Although afaik Icahn School of Medicine is on the other side of Madison Ave)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »

Very nice work.

Quad Cities was on the second map, but thank you for the NIU info. Will look into that plus Sacred Heart Seminary. Not sure about the SC technical schools buy will try my best if they are public.

They are. It's a system of 16 schools that serve various combinations of counties.
http://www.sctechsystem.com/
You'll probably have to go to each school's website to find the satellite campuses but your map already has the main campus.

They are a combination of technical school and junior college, with a four tier tuition system, the lowest rate being for in-county students, then in-state, then domestic, then international. The state technical college system, along with our state educational television and radio networks are among the accomplishments Ernest Hollings achieved while governor.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 05:24:19 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

The SC technical schools are already included in the yellow star layer of both maps. Not sure if you have that layer unchecked or if I'm missing something Tongue

Zoomed in on Sacred Heart Seminary, and it appears to be in the appropriate location in Detroit according to Google Maps.

Northern Illinois has been fixed, but it was very difficult to add directly since the satellite campuses are single-building conference centers that have multiple uses. [If you simply add rows to the data table, the marker goes to some random county road. I have prepared the columns for a re-upload to separate school label column from address column, which will simply be the school name except in these rare instances like NIU (and Alaska-Fairbanks CC's). Will upload the cleaned up columns (and removed question marks) in a week or so]

Very grateful for all the comments keeping me honest.

I found 350 campuses of Phoenix, DeVry, Rasmussen, Kaplan, Strayer, Argosy, National American, and Virginia College - that will be a layer of its own [Mass Campus For-Profit Schools]. ITT Tech still missing - we'll see on that one. Will merge small-time/no athletics layers to make room for that.

I'll give you all some time for any suggestions of missing items, just in case. Thanks!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »

The SC technical schools are already included in the yellow star layer of both maps. Not sure if you have that layer unchecked or if I'm missing something Tongue

As I said in my first post in this thread, you only have the main campuses shown. But almost all of them have satellite campuses and those aren't shown on your map. For instance, besides the Beltline Campus of Midlands Technical College, there's also the Airport, Batesburg-Leesville, Fairfield, Fort Jackson, Harbison, and Northeast Campuses, each of which has their own focus area. (For instance, for the classes I'm currently taking, they'll all be at the Airport or Beltline campuses, and hopefully just the Airport campus, but if I were taking theatre classes, they'd all be at the Harbison campus where the theater is.)
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »

You have UW Barron county located in sand creek, which isnt even in the county Tongue It should be placed right next to WITC in Rice Lake.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 12:09:02 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2016, 12:48:20 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Thanks for the Barron County tip.

So, I realized there must be a difference between SIU and NIU's various campuses - SIU must have some sort of veil between its campuses that perhaps is stricter than NIU - basketball teams are obviously separate and now I see Carnegie classifications are separate. I'll leave what I have, but I will no longer go overboard with various campuses unless there is an obvious distinction like Texas, Indiana, and Arizona State also do for example.

Speaking of, my list is now up to nearly 5200 thanks to the Carnegie Classifications helping me to add nearly 1000, and I think that is where I will likely leave it. The newest copy of the map is grouped by this. Can't promise the map locations are all absolutely correct right this moment, but they should all be included somewhere on there - next and final step will be accuracy for the new additions.

Map of Universities Sorted By Carnegie Classification
and
Layered Map of Colleges By Sports Division
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 01:02:25 AM »

There are 107 historically black colleges and universities, including two in West Virginia.  Of the 107 there are only two that no longer have a black majority student body, the two in West Virginia, which both have fewer than 15% black student population, but they still carry the designation.  Just another exciting WV fact.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies