2018 California Gubernatorial Election Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:20:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 California Gubernatorial Election Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2018 California Gubernatorial Election Megathread  (Read 5295 times)
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »
« edited: May 26, 2016, 11:27:07 PM by 🛰 Governor Moonbeam 🛰 »

Current Treasurer and former Controller John Chiang is running for Governor of California in 2018.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-john-chiang-governor-20160517-snap-story.html

This makes me very excited. Perhaps his old high school buddy Dave Jones (current Insurance Commissioner) will run for Lieutenant Governor.  
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »

Endorsed
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:02 AM »

Should be a brawl between him and Newsom. Exciting!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »

Newsom is the better man.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »

Prefer Chiang on a purely personal basis (I really don't like Newsom, despite him ticking most boxes)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »

Dave Jones is running for Attorney General, so I doubt he'll switch to LG.

http://www.davejones2018.com
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »

Dave Jones is running for Attorney General, so I doubt he'll switch to LG.

http://www.davejones2018.com

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »

Prefer Chiang on a purely personal basis (I really don't like Newsom, despite him ticking most boxes)

Newsom seems to be very unpopular at this forum.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »

Newsom is unpopular in a lot of places; he's regarded as untrustworthy and in the pocket of corporations. He's seen as too "slick", and some people think its inappropriate that he had an affair with the wife of a staffer. He's rightly praised for his marriage equality stance, but a lot of people feel he's too much to the right economically. Or at least that's the impression I've heard from Californians I've talked to on a few forums.

A few Californians I talked to said that they like Chiang because they don't see him as slimy like Newsom or Villaraigosa. They feel he's a lot like Jerry Brown; low-drama, good for California's economy, and not transparently ambitious. Plus they think it'd be nice for California to have an Asian-American governor.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »

Maybe a general election match between him and Newsom will help draw attention to the discriminatory and unconstitutional nature of top two primaries.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »

Maybe a general election match between him and Newsom will help draw attention to the discriminatory and unconstitutional nature of top two primaries.

If voters choose two members of the same party for the top two there is nothing unconstitutional about it. It was a moderate Republican who pushed the system because he thought it would make it easier for moderate Republicans to make the general election.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 01:03:24 PM »

Endorsed.

That said, I'm not sure I'll be a resident of the state come the actual primaries.

He deserves it entirely, and frankly I'm still not convinced that he didn't steal the election from Matt Gonzales way back in 2003.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »

How, exactly, is Newsom better?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »

Newsom was a major ally and took the lead on advocating for marriage equality when it wasn't politically popular to do so. He's had some gaffes along the way, but who hasn't?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »

Newsom was a major ally and took the lead on advocating for marriage equality when it wasn't politically popular to do so. He's had some gaffes along the way, but who hasn't?
No, you see, he's ambitious and slimy because he's a former Mayor and only males can be ambitious and corrupt. In other words, he's basically like a Californian and Atlas-hated version of Joe Sestak to the Democratic establishment and base.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »

It's gonna be interesting who will run on the Republican side. Faulconer would be nice.
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

I prefer, and heartily endorse, Chiang over Newsom. Gavin Newsom is all about Gavin Newsom. I've voted for his GOP opponent twice for Lt. Gov.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 03:53:44 PM »

Chiang vs. Newsom will be fun to watch.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »

Newsom is unpopular in a lot of places; he's regarded as untrustworthy and in the pocket of corporations. He's seen as too "slick", and some people think its inappropriate that he had an affair with the wife of a staffer. He's rightly praised for his marriage equality stance, but a lot of people feel he's too much to the right economically. Or at least that's the impression I've heard from Californians I've talked to on a few forums.

A few Californians I talked to said that they like Chiang because they don't see him as slimy like Newsom or Villaraigosa. They feel he's a lot like Jerry Brown; low-drama, good for California's economy, and not transparently ambitious. Plus they think it'd be nice for California to have an Asian-American governor.

He's the lieutenant governor of Jerry Brown, the most libertarian Democrat alive. He himself has taken on Brown a bit on guns, which I thought would make him more acceptable to our forum members. It's sad that we let our personal views get in the way of the politician who was the freedom fighter obstructing the oppressive law that Kim Davis thought she was.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »

Kevin Faulconer would destroy everyone in this race. Chiang or Newsom are both weak candidates who will be annihilated by him.
Chiang may prevent Faulconer getting too many Asian-Americans into his coalition, but other than that Newsom is far more likely to hold Brown's coalition against Faulconer.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

Kevin Faulconer would destroy everyone in this race. Chiang or Newsom are both weak candidates who will be annihilated by him.

He really wouldn't, sorry to break it to ya', but this just isn't 2003 anymore where a "moderate" Republican can just waltz in. Falcouner only got so far because of Filner being somehow even more corrupt and disgusting than Gray Davis and Cruz.

Speaking of 2003:

No, you see, he's ambitious and slimy because he's a former Mayor and only males can be ambitious and corrupt. In other words, he's basically like a Californian and Atlas-hated version of Joe Sestak to the Democratic establishment and base.

Uh, no, the establishment loves him now because of how slick he is. But there's nonetheless a very good reason he almost lost to someone as loony as Matt Gonzales (aka that guy that stuck himself to Ralph Nader in 2008) to even get into the mayoral office in the first place....people smelled that sliminess miles away.

But of course all the lives not taken care of because of lethargic record of doing practically nothing mean nil compared to "muh gay marriage before it was cool", even Ed Lee has done more things useful than him, and he's mostly responsible for speeding up the gentrification.

"I've voted for his GOP opponent twice for Lt. Gov." I could understand in 2014, but why 2010? Putting him into Lt. Gov essentially kicked him upstairs and out of S.F.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

I'm gonna look into volunteering for his campaign.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »

Chiang may prevent Faulconer getting too many Asian-Americans into his coalition, but other than that Newsom is far more likely to hold Brown's coalition against Faulconer.

I wish I could remember these two quotes in 2018 when they'll both be wrong.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/dan-morain/article78988647.html

I know that Atlas has the results for Treasurer and Lt Gov; I might make a make comparing Newsom's and Chiang's performances on a county level.

Lt Gov https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=6&year=2014&f=0&off=6&elect=0

Treasurer https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=6&year=2014&f=0&off=8&elect=0

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies