Experts: Most Mass Shooters Aren't Mentally Ill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Experts: Most Mass Shooters Aren't Mentally Ill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Experts: Most Mass Shooters Aren't Mentally Ill  (Read 965 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »

At least not in any medical sense of the term:

Most mass shooters aren’t mentally ill. So why push better treatment as the answer?

By Michael S. Rosenwald
May 18, 2016

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »

To answer the question, it's because lack of mental health treatment is a very effective alternative scapegoat (vis a vis a lack of gun control) for the huddling masses
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »

Also mentally ill people (schizos, anxious and depressed people, etc) are actually less likely statistically to be mass shooters and are unfairly stigmatized by this new political trend
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »

Doesn't really change the fact that increased gun control is not likely to help things...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »

Doesn't really change the fact that increased gun control is not likely to help things...

Except it has in every country that has implemented it...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »

Eh, I'd say there are other factors at play like the culture of those nations and the attitudes of those people, but I'd still be interested to see such statistics.  As ridiculous and cringeworthy as you might find this, we were born as a nation by literally taking up our own arms against tyranny and fighting for our freedom, and even if you find that totally inapplicable to 2016, there will always be a lot of Americans who will carry that spirit of individualism forward when it comes to being able to own weapons.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:54:57 PM »

Eh, I'd say there are other factors at play like the culture of those nations and the attitudes of those people, but I'd still be interested to see such statistics.  As ridiculous and cringeworthy as you might find this, we were born as a nation by literally taking up our own arms against tyranny and fighting for our freedom, and even if you find that totally inapplicable to 2016, there will always be a lot of Americans who will carry that spirit of individualism forward when it comes to being able to own weapons.

The idea that a few boys in the woods with guns could be a deterrent against tyranny made sense back then, today it's a ridiculous joke that has to be squashed.

Most gun control only has mild positive effects (though if mild effects mean a few less people die, it may or may not be worth it).

The only kind of gun control that has been proven to work is to reduce the number of guns in the country total legal or illegal.  United states is average in terms of crime compared to other rich countries, but crime is way more lethal here compared to other countries because we literally have more guns in America than people.

And unfortunately that's probably not going  to change any time soon because we love our guns here, they are passed down in our families and part of our traditions
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »

And most gangbangers aren't "honor students who were turning their lives around".   But these are the lies that America chooses to tell itself over and over again as guns destroy our communities. Im just shocked!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:47:39 AM »

wait wait wait....you think it's guns that are destroying the inner city?  Do gun control nuts actually think that if guns were to go away that the people most affected by gun violence would suddenly become productive members of society and their communities would "stop being destroyed"?

That's insane.  Just so you know.

(and FTR, it's the War on Drugs and it's peripheral damages, specifically what it's done to the men in the communities.  I'm also not saying that if drugs became legal it would be perfect either, but it would certainly be better making guns illegal.)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »

wait wait wait....you think it's guns that are destroying the inner city?  Do gun control nuts actually think that if guns were to go away that the people most affected by gun violence would suddenly become productive members of society and their communities would "stop being destroyed"?

(and FTR, it's the War on Drugs and it's peripheral damages, specifically what it's done to the men in the communities.  I'm also not saying that if drugs became legal it would be perfect either, but it would certainly be better making guns illegal.)

Not to mention that cities with gun bans don't exactly lower ... well, any crime whatsoever, let alone gun violence.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »

Not to mention that cities with gun bans don't exactly lower ... well, any crime whatsoever, let alone gun violence.

It's not exactly hard to leave a city and buy a gun.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:13:25 PM »

It has to be, these people are too poor to move.  If you're too poor to move, you're NOT too poor to drive 5 hours and buy a stolen gun assault weapon from a cousin through a loop hole in a Taco Bell parking lot a gun show.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »

HEY!  What the hell?  Who did that to my post?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »

There's a lot that can be said about the bizarre three-way conflation of medical 'mental illness', legal 'insanity', and being colloquially 'troubled' that goes on with this sort of rhetoric, but I'm too tired to say it.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »

The people in the inner city would still commit crimes at the same rate but their crimes would be much less lethal with drastic National gun control (which, like I said, is practically impossible to do in America).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:44 AM »

Indeed, I don't know why people keep bringing it up.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »

From what I've observed, racism and misogyny are contributing factors to a disproportionate number of mass shootings. Perhaps that is something that deserves more consideration...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:39:19 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2016, 01:44:12 AM by Reaganfan »

Well what the hell were we supposed to do, dead0man? Everyone was going crazy. Mr. Nixon PLEASE stop the drugs and crime! Mr. Reagan PLEASE help the crack epidemic! Mr. Giuliani Mr. Clinton clean up our streets!

Were our leaders supposed to sit on their hands and say no? It's not our fault that so many people chose to make poor decisions. But we had no choice then and we have no choice now.

You wanna know the problem with gangs, and drugs, and "mass incarcerations"? Wanna know what has to be done?

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI

It's really as simple as that. The amount of whining from people about laws and cops and stuff and it all comes back to simple facts like disobeying laws.

I remember once I was at work a couple of years ago, and a girl I work with was chatting with me about how the Police had a DUI checkpoint up. She was awaiting a ride from her boyfriend. She was worried. She said, "I sure hope the cops don't stop him."

I told her, "Why would they?" She responded casually, "Well, he has a warrant out for his arrest."

Well, then he deserves to get stopped. Sorry. Somehow not feeling sympathy makes me a terrible person. It didn't used to be that way. It's a result of bleeding heart liberals having blind compassion even in the light of facts showing that punishments are warranted.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 04:13:09 AM »

Well what the hell were we supposed to do, dead0man? Everyone was going crazy. Mr. Nixon PLEASE stop the drugs and crime! Mr. Reagan PLEASE help the crack epidemic! Mr. Giuliani Mr. Clinton clean up our streets!

Were our leaders supposed to sit on their hands and say no? It's not our fault that so many people chose to make poor decisions. But we had no choice then and we have no choice now.

You wanna know the problem with gangs, and drugs, and "mass incarcerations"? Wanna know what has to be done?

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI

It's really as simple as that. The amount of whining from people about laws and cops and stuff and it all comes back to simple facts like disobeying laws.

I remember once I was at work a couple of years ago, and a girl I work with was chatting with me about how the Police had a DUI checkpoint up. She was awaiting a ride from her boyfriend. She was worried. She said, "I sure hope the cops don't stop him."

I told her, "Why would they?" She responded casually, "Well, he has a warrant out for his arrest."

Well, then he deserves to get stopped. Sorry. Somehow not feeling sympathy makes me a terrible person. It didn't used to be that way. It's a result of bleeding heart liberals having blind compassion even in the light of facts showing that punishments are warranted.

Liberalism has its benefits to a certain point.   Criminal justice is one area they should stay away from.   

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies