Worst area of the world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Worst area of the world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which is the worst?
Tropical South America

Central Africa (Congo, etc)

Horn of Africa

Southeast Africa (Zimbabwe, Rwanda, etc)

Syria + ISIS territories

Bangladesh + bad parts of India

AfPak

America (edgy teenager answer)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Worst area of the world?  (Read 1588 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2016, 01:22:53 AM »
« edited: May 22, 2016, 01:30:40 AM by Jeff Weaver »

I'm feeling unhappy with the world today.  Too much time working on an NGO project.  Take your pick, Atlas, or rank em if you've got the stomach:

Tropical South America:  Suffer from miserable heat and debilitating diseases while defending yourself from predators.  Only jobs are chopping down the rainforest or poisoning yourself mining gold flakes until you lose your mind.  People are randomly and brutally murdered by drug cartels for trivial reasons like wanting to use their land to grow cocaine.

Central Africa:  Complete anarchy, lowest rates of human development across the board, ravaged by famine and various diseases (HIV, malaria, ebola), child armies terrorize the populace.

Horn of Africa:  Trapped in a constant state of civil war, no resources, piracy is the only industry.  Heavy presence of Al-Qaeda and its African spinoffs such as al-Shabaab, female genital mutilation a common practice, hundreds of thousands killed in genocide in Darfur.

Southeast Africa:  In the Rwandan genocide, one million people were hacked to death with machetes for being in the wrong ethnic group.  Zimbabwe is ruled by a 92-year-old madman and about to collapse into certain civil war or anarchy.  Low life expectancy and human development.

Syria + ISIS territories:  Random, brutal killings (stoned to death, burned alive) and martial Islamic law.  Ongoing civil war between ISIS and Assad.  Chance of being a victim of chemical weapons attacks leaving you with extensive neurological damage if you don't die.

Bangladesh + bad parts of India:  Everything is sh*tty, insect-infested and disease-ridden, everyone is poor and starving and diseases spread like wildfire because of overpopulation, acid attacks, bride burnings, and other honor killings are common.  Lots of gangs and terrorist organizations.

AfPak:  A mixture of the previous two.  Like ISIS territories with less violence and more poverty and primitive, violent practices.  More narcotics and drug-related violence than even South America.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:28:53 AM »

Walmart electronics aisle on Black Friday.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »

Deepest darkest Central Africa or ISIS territory.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »

California
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »

Just realized I forgot North Korea... we never do anything to try to help the people there so I didn't think of it.

If I had to rank, from best to worst:

Southeast Africa
Tropical South Ameria
Horn of Africa
ISIS
AfPak
Bangladesh + India
Central Africa
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »

This is partially a bias because I have Indian/Bangladeshi friends who have told me all kinds of stories, but I'd say Bangladesh + bad parts of India is the worst.  Most of Africa at least has a lower population density, so it at least doesn't smell as bad. 

Personally, I think the best spots here would be Islamabad, Pakistan (which has reasonably high human development), Botswana (if it counts as part of SE Africa) and South Africa, and Gabon/Equitorial Guinea in Central Africa.

I think the best place anywhere on the list is a ritzy part of either Equitorial Guinea or Gabon, but when you look at the regions as a whole, I think I'll take my chances with Tropical South America.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »

Just realized I forgot North Korea... we never do anything to try to help the people there so I didn't think of it.

If I had to rank, from best to worst:

Southeast Africa
Tropical South Ameria
Horn of Africa
ISIS
AfPak
Bangladesh + India
Central Africa

Is Central Africa really that bad?  At least you have Cameroon, Equitorial Guinea, Gabon, and parts of Tanzania/Kenya which are fine  It seems like other regions have nothing good going for them.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:41:30 PM »

New Hampshire, of course.

In all seriousness, in its current state, it's hard to beat Syria.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:16:10 PM »

I can't get over how just 5 years ago the top gear guys drove through Kurdish Iraq, turkey, the heart of Syria, and Jordan. Syria looked like a beautiful very friendly country. My how quickly things can turn to complete hell.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

What - no option for North Korea?

I voted Syria/ISIS territories of course, but I've heard it's actually tolerable in the government-controlled areas. It's the rebel controlled areas that got it hard.

Outside of this probably Central Africa, due in part to the climate - although the Congo River basin is ripe for economic development, in theory.

AfPak - During the 1980s, Pakistan was said to be doing well economically; but it collapsed after U.S. Cold War aid was withdrawn.

During the Ebola crisis, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and eastern Guinea were undoubtedly the worst.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »

Jacksonville, Florida.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »

I don't want to make any personal attacks, which was my inclination when I opened this thread, so I'll just say that this is deeply repulsive.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:45 PM »

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »

Stop. It was never funny, never will be funny, and if it's not supposed to be funny:

A) What the ****
B) As someone with West Virginian (Jewish too) heritage, I think it's really not cool.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »

I agree. My father was born in West Virginia, and he's a nice guy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »

Why take it so personally? There's plenty of nice people in Syria + ISIS territories as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

And again, Atlas shows their ridiculous West Virginia fetish. California, New Hampshire, and Florida have been mentioned in this thread without a single response, but I get two outraged replies within 5 minutes due to mentioning the sacrosanct state. LMAO
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »

And again, Atlas shows their ridiculous West Virginia fetish. California, New Hampshire, and Florida have been mentioned in this thread without a single response, but I get two outraged replies within 5 minutes due to mentioning the sacrosanct state. LMAO

Because you've gotten to TNVol levels with your WV obsession and I've had enough. Either stop posting about West Virginia or stop posting entirely.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »

Because you've gotten to TNVol levels with your WV obsession and I've had enough. Either stop posting about West Virginia or stop posting entirely.

You don't seem to understand the fetish, double standards, and faux outrage just makes me want to post about it more...

Who can resist poking the undeserving Atlasian sacred cow with a pointy stick?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:18 PM »

Nobody thinks you're being funny. Nobody thinks you're being clever. Just stop. And that goes for all the others suffering from IndyRep syndrome as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »

Nobody thinks you're being funny. Nobody thinks you're being clever. Just stop. And that goes for all the others suffering from IndyRep syndrome as well.

Well obviously. Attacking West Virginia here goes over about as well as attacking Edward Cullen on a Twilight Forum. Clearly I'm not doing it to entertain or impress.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »

For the record, I voted Syria (and ISIS territories) in this poll. NH IS a disgusting state with repulsive people, but nowhere near as bad as areas where there is literal genocide or war going on (sane). Excuse the hyperbole, I wasn't trying to be funny.  

And now he lives in NH-02? LOL

I'm starting to think you might be correct about the race comments...NH and WV get Atlas stormtroopers, yet CA and FL get nothing...hmm.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »

For the record, I voted Syria (and ISIS territories) in this poll. NH IS a disgusting state with repulsive people, but nowhere near as bad as areas where there is literal genocide or war going on (sane). Excuse the hyperbole, I wasn't trying to be funny.  

I'm starting to think you might be correct about the race comments...NH and WV get Atlas stormtroopers, yet CA and FL get nothing...hmm.

Because they were obvious jokes and they don't get repeated over and over again, unlike you two losers who have grudges against states. While yours could be justified, it's a bit much. TNVol's hatred is completely unjustified.

And they're both stupid.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

Maybe because other posters does not overdo things like you with WV, and maybe they actually know the meaning of word "irony"?

I mean come on, you're better than that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »

Maybe because other posters does not overdo things like you with WV, and maybe they actually know the meaning of word "irony"?

I mean come on, you're better than that.

One comment making fun of WV months ago turned into like a 15 page witch hunt. I'm not the one that's "overdoing it." That would be the forum's WV fetishists.

They even hijacked yet another thread...when all I did was come here to post my opinion. Cry
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies