Have you ever specified what pronouns you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:53:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever specified what pronouns you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Have you ever specified what pronouns you prefer?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Have you ever specified what pronouns you prefer?  (Read 1718 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »

Yes, this was a pretty common thing at my college, unfortunately.  We would all have to go around in a group and waste time stating what pronoun we preferred even though it was obvious.  It would make more sense for anyone who prefers a different pronoun to just speak up and correct it in conversation, but I guess that would be 'transphobic'.

The fact that it is so offensive to you that someone dares shake you out of your comfort zone to create a welcoming environment for everyone speaks volumes.

To answer the question, I don't know that I have ever, but of course there's no logical reason to be opposed to a situation in which everyone is asked to.
Lol. Never said it was offensive, just a stupid, pointless waste of time meant to cater to the sensibilities of the mentally ill. Unclutch your pearls.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »

Yes, this was a pretty common thing at my college, unfortunately.  We would all have to go around in a group and waste time stating what pronoun we preferred even though it was obvious.  It would make more sense for anyone who prefers a different pronoun to just speak up and correct it in conversation, but I guess that would be 'transphobic'.

The fact that it is so offensive to you that someone dares shake you out of your comfort zone to create a welcoming environment for everyone speaks volumes.

To answer the question, I don't know that I have ever, but of course there's no logical reason to be opposed to a situation in which everyone is asked to.
Lol. Never said it was offensive, just a stupid, pointless waste of time meant to cater to the sensibilities of the mentally ill. Unclutch your pearls.

Trans people are not mentally ill.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 12:11:30 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2016, 12:14:51 AM by Green Line »

I agree, and a trans person would not have to specify their pronouns as long as they make an attempt to look like their preferred gender. THe people who feel the need to use special pronouns like 'they' and 'ze' are either massive attention seekers or mentally ill. There is also nothing wrong with mental illness, but it should not be celebrated.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 02:13:49 AM »

I agree, and a trans person would not have to specify their pronouns as long as they make an attempt to look like their preferred gender. THe people who feel the need to use special pronouns like 'they' and 'ze' are either massive attention seekers or mentally ill. There is also nothing wrong with mental illness, but it should not be celebrated.

Ultimately, if using they or ze or whatever is important to someone, I'll be polite enough to use it. It's not like stubbornly not using it is going to change anything. What I'm not going to do though is outright ask someone "what are your pronouns?" or mention my own as regular practice. Obviously I'll adapt if they bring it up in conversation or if I'm informed that it's what some group I'm a part of does, but it just honestly seems really socially awkward to be known as the person who goes around each year asking for pronouns from everyone.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies