All the Way: HBO movie about LBJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:11:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  All the Way: HBO movie about LBJ
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All the Way: HBO movie about LBJ  (Read 256 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »

Thought the folks of Atlasia would enjoy this, if you haven't already seen it last night on HBO. Listened to Bryan Cranston on Bill Maher talk about it-I'm 5 minutes in and it's brilliant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3791216/
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »

It was definitely a hagiography and that diminished it for me on more than a few occasions (especially when they simply made stuff up in order to try to make Johnson look better), but Bryan Cranston was amazing.  The man is really one of the greatest actors of his generation. 
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »

I saw the first half, it's actually really good.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »

I saw it last night, Bryan Cranston is without a doubt one of the best actors I have ever seen.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »

I didn't hear much about it, except for the fact they tried to make it look like Johnson did the heavy lifting for the CRA instead of Dirksen.  Classic example of liberals rewriting history to make Dems look like the good guys and the GOP the bad guys in the fight for civil rights.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

I watched it with my dad. It was really good, with the obvious caveat that it does indeed make Johnson look better than he was.

Having said that, however,

I didn't hear much about it, except for the fact they tried to make it look like Johnson did the heavy lifting for the CRA instead of Dirksen.  Classic example of liberals rewriting history to make Dems look like the good guys and the GOP the bad guys in the fight for civil rights.

Amazingly, multiple people were involved in the Civil Rights Act.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »

I didn't hear much about it, except for the fact they tried to make it look like Johnson did the heavy lifting for the CRA instead of Dirksen.  Classic example of liberals rewriting history to make Dems look like the good guys and the GOP the bad guys in the fight for civil rights.

Given that the primary / major opposition to that bill came from Southern Democrats, I am not entirely convinced viewers will walk away thinking Democrats are undoubtedly the good guys there. What it almost looks like is one powerful Democrat decides to do it and has to drag the other Democrats kicking and screaming, while soliciting help from Republicans, because other Democrats decided to filibuster for 67+ days instead of just giving some American citizens the same rights as everyone else.

I also saw this last night before bed and it was great Cheesy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:06:21 AM »

Really enjoyed it- one of the best Presidential Biopics I've seen. Made me want to try and start Caro over the summer
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies