Is Kaine fatigue real?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Kaine fatigue real?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What's up with all the hate for Kaine?
People actually dislike Kaine as a person/politician

He's fine but everyone has their own special favorite

Picking the favorite is no fun

Kaine fatigue is real, we're tired of hearing about him

He's fine, he's just not interesting to talk about

What Kaine fatigue?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Is Kaine fatigue real?  (Read 2949 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 06:23:11 AM »

DNC chair when there was a net loss of 63 seats in the House.

And you think that's his fault?

Oh that's right, no one in power is ever to blame. It's all the "professional leftists' faults".

Those losses came in a midterm rocked by a large recession and other image problems for the Democratic party, including in terms of policy (PPACA). It was pretty much a given they were going to lose seats, following WH party's midterm loss tradition and the fact that many of those seats were R+'s. Democrats were way too overextended.

You can't just point to the top and blame them for everything. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done. Could Kaine and Obama have acted in ways to mitigate the damage? Of course. Could they have avoided large losses altogether? Probably not.

Though if you're going to point fingers like that, then why? What did he do wrong? What didn't he do that he should have? Do you think that those losses could have been avoided entirely? Surely you have some reasons here if you're going to blame someone for it.

The left was constantly attacked in 2010 by Rahm Emanuel and the like. Obama's defenders always said he was playing 11 dimensional chess or some nonsense like that. Well, I don't think they could have done worse than lose 63 House seats if they listened to the left. We didn't even get a weak public option for crying out loud.

Blame Joe Liberman, Ben Nelson and other dinosaurs in the senate who refused to vote for it
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 06:23:29 AM »

He seems to be lacking on the attack dog front.
OTOH, Warren has gotten under TRUMP's skin and Franken can certainly use his wit and humor to spice things up.

I doubt Elizabeth Warren will be on the ticket. While it would certainly energize the progressive base, you have some crazies like the jfern contingent who would throw Warren under the bus for even entertaining the notion of running on the same ticket with Satan Incarnate/Wall Street sellout neoliberal warmongering corporatist evil corrupt hag known as Hillary Clinton. Then you have to deal with the constant media barrage of "Is having two women on a presidential ticket too risky?" In the end, I really think she'll pick a man, due to her alleged problem with the testosterone coalition.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »

I'm still pulling for Franken or Bayh. Put me solidly in the Hillary column if that comes true.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 09:09:38 AM »

There are a few factors.

He's one of the favorites, so someone who wants to say something clever would talk about other candidates rather than him and Castro. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders also net higher page views.

There are ultimately a lot of choices for Hillary, so the odds are much more likely than not that someone else will get chosen.

He's also the most popular choice in a particular lane. If Hillary wants a moderate qualified white guy with swing state credentials, there's also Mark Warner. There's also Michael Bennet. There's also Sherrod Brown.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »

I dislike him because he's anti-choice.

No he's not.  He says that while he doesn't like abortion, he thinks it should be legal:

http://www.kaineforva.com/individual_rights

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tim Kaine believes that children and teenagers should be denied access to abortion if their parents are opposed to it. If that's not anti-choice, I don't know what is.

To clarify though, he isn't "pro-life" either. I would have a little more respect for him if he was (although I'd also be less likely to vote for him). He's compromising on the issue in the worst possible way.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »

No he's not.  He says that while he doesn't like abortion, he thinks it should be legal:

Tim Kaine believes that children and teenagers should be denied access to abortion if their parents are opposed to it. If that's not anti-choice, I don't know what is.

To clarify though, he isn't "pro-life" either. I would have a little more respect for him if he was (although I'd also be less likely to vote for him). He's compromising on the issue in the worst possible way.
Interesting.. You'd think that PP and others wouldn't let him publicly hold such beliefs.
Now, this makes me respect him more, but I doubt it will make a difference in public policy.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »

As I've said before, Franken and Murphy seem like the best choices.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

Interesting.. You'd think that PP and others wouldn't let him publicly hold such beliefs.
Now, this makes me respect him more, but I doubt it will make a difference in public policy.

Why exactly does it make you respect him more? If you're pro-life, why are fetuses of underage parents worth more than others? And if you're pro-choice, why are underage parents worth less than others. It's a nasty attempt to take away people's rights for having the audacity to be born into the wrong family.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »

Kaine is bland as hell, but that may turn out to be an asset this weird season. A dull and painfully predictablee Democrat on the ticket facing Trump.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 03:50:35 PM »

Kaine is bland as hell, but that may turn out to be an asset this weird season. A dull and painfully predictablee Democrat on the ticket facing Trump.

I beg to differ. Hillary Clinton already has a reputation of being unexciting, predictable, scripted. Choosing Kaine would be a bad idea.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 08:38:55 PM by TimTurner »

No he's not.  He says that while he doesn't like abortion, he thinks it should be legal:

Why exactly does it make you respect him more? If you're pro-life, why are fetuses of underage parents worth more than others? And if you're pro-choice, why are underage parents worth less than others. It's a nasty attempt to take away people's rights for having the audacity to be born into the wrong family.
I am something of a relative moderate on abortion compared to some Tea Party extremists. I oppose defunding PP while being wary of the pro-choice lobby. Kaine having these positions makes me hope he might not be a complete foot soldier for PP and co, though the chances he would be allowed to actually influence policy in this capacity is very low.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »

If there is such a thing as "Kaine fatigue," it exists only among palace-intrigue obsessed politicos, not average Americans, who when asked about whether they are tired of Tim Kaine are most likely to say "who is Tim Kaine?!?"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »

I am something of a relative moderate on abortion compared to some Tea Party extremists. I oppose defunding PP while being wary of the pro-choice lobby. Kaine having these positions makes me hope he might not be a complete foot soldier for PP and co, though the chances he would be allowed to actually influence policy in this capacity is very low.

To me it sounds like you're a moderate for the sake of being a moderate, at least on this issue. I mean, I can understand some levels of moderation on abortion (especially time limits) but this just makes no sense to me.

If there is such a thing as "Kaine fatigue," it exists only among palace-intrigue obsessed politicos, not average Americans, who when asked about whether they are tired of Tim Kaine are most likely to say "who is Tim Kaine?!?"

Seriously. I don't think I've seen him mentioned outside political forums.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:21 AM »

To me it sounds like you're a moderate for the sake of being a moderate, at least on this issue. I mean, I can understand some levels of moderation on abortion (especially time limits) but this just makes no sense to me.
I'd forgive you for having that illusion.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »

Being born to Catholic parents is being born into the "wrong family"? There are plenty of things that minors can only do with parental consent, including some other medical procedures, military service and getting married. The line between childhood and adulthood exists everywhere else, so why not here?

Tim Kaine has a nearly perfect resume to be Hillary's VP. He's ideologically compatible, he's fluent in Spanish, he is a former Governor of a swing state, a sitting Senator and a former DNC chair. His blue-collar roots and experience as a civil rights lawyer will fend off any "white privilege" attacks from the left. Insiders like him and the base will accept him. The only other candidates I can think of who are as qualified on paper are Biden, Warner and Bayh. Uncle Joe isn't happening and both Bayh and Warner are too centrist for the base. Clinton/Kaine is boring, but it's a steady, center-left ticket that will not destroy the country - which is exactly the message Clinton wants to send. A Clinton/Warren ticket would basically be trying to beat Trump at his own game, and that will never work.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »

Being born to Catholic parents is being born into the "wrong family"?

In this context, yes, if they're so serious about Catholicism that they won't let their children get abortions. Same applies to other religions, or just people who are anti-abortion for secular reasons (I might fall into the last group, but I still support the right to choose).

The difference here is that those other things (aside from the big medical procedures, which I also think shouldn't have a parental consent requirement if they're that necessary) don't really have any huge repercussions if they're not done.

Either decision on whether or not to get an abortion is a huge decision with huge repercussions. If someone is mature enough to give birth to a child, then they're mature enough to get an abortion. It's none of their parents' business.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »

I would never elect somebody named Tim.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »

He's very forgettable ... and he is my Senator.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 03:29:03 PM »

Why pick Tim Kaine over Mark Warner? I ask genuinely, because they appear to me to be interchangeable.  Both are former VA Governors, current VA Senators, Clinton loyalists, and as unexciting as they are white.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »

Why pick Tim Kaine over Mark Warner? I ask genuinely, because they appear to me to be interchangeable.  Both are former VA Governors, current VA Senators, Clinton loyalists, and as unexciting as they are white.

Tim Kaine speaks Spanish, and didn't recently come close to losing an election he was expected to win by a lot. Also Warner is a moderate while Kaine is more of a mainstream Democrat.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 01:21:49 AM »

Man, it was bad when I made this thread but it's gotten so much worse.  Poor Tim Kaine, he's really a good guy, I hope Clinton doesn't get spooked out of picking him by this little temper tantrum everyone's having.  The banking deregulation hit piece is such an obvious misrepresentation of his position but nobody actually listens to what he has to say, and the "corruption and gifts" charge is such a pathetic little smear.

I really hope I wake up tomorrow and read that Tim Kaine will be the next vice president of the united states.  He's an excellent fellow who's spent his whole life doing good and doing it well.  He doesn't deserve this hate his own party is sending his way.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 01:40:01 AM by Ogre Mage »

He doesn't deserve this hate his own party is sending his way.

This usually happens to the perceived frontrunner for a nomination, whoever or whatever it is.  Supporters of other candidates try to undercut their status.  But that's assuming the nomination is actually desired, lol.  Not many people tried to undercut Merrick Garland or Mike Pence because frankly many perceived those nominations as a booby prize.  But Clinton's running mate is a highly desired position which is why no major Democratic politicians have taken themselves out of the running.  It happened to Sonia Sotomayor in 2009 as well -- a bunch of stories based on anonymous sources that she was a "bully" and "not that smart" etc.  Obama picked her anyway.

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 02:02:01 AM »

He's the 41st most liberal (lol) Democratic senator currently serving - plenty far from where Obama and Clinton and Biden were - so of course I can see why the moderate heroes love him.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »

As I have mentioned in previous posts, Kaine's Catholic background will have appeal to voters who are swingable.  His activities as a missionary will have appeal to faithful Catholics--and his familiarity with Latin America has obvious positives for Hillary with the Hispanic vote.

There won't be that many available voters--but just enough to make an impact in states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Ohio.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »

I mean, I sincerely dislike Tim Kaine and think that Warren is the only rational choice for the next four years, if not necessarily the next 99 days.

He's a sfae pick in an election where safe seems to be losing.

Clinton / Kaine 2016, safe just like Dewey / Warren 1948!

Jfern's back/
Back again/
Jfern's back/
Tell a friend.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies