Is Kaine fatigue real?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:55:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Kaine fatigue real?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What's up with all the hate for Kaine?
People actually dislike Kaine as a person/politician

He's fine but everyone has their own special favorite

Picking the favorite is no fun

Kaine fatigue is real, we're tired of hearing about him

He's fine, he's just not interesting to talk about

What Kaine fatigue?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Is Kaine fatigue real?  (Read 2932 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »

The ticket needs some enthusiasm and Kaine brings none. His pro-banking and TPP comments are problematic, and make it tougher for the Sanders wing of the party which includes nearly half the total and a majority of its northern whites. He's a better pick than Vilsack, Perez or Booker but that's not saying much.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »

The ticket needs some enthusiasm and Kaine brings none. His pro-banking and TPP comments are problematic, and make it tougher for the Sanders wing of the party which includes nearly half the total and a majority of its northern whites. He's a better pick than Vilsack, Perez or Booker but that's not saying much.

I would have thought Sanders supporters would have a more positive view of credit unions and small banks.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »

"Do no harm."

That's Kaine.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 01:42:06 PM by Virginia »

I've seen that a number of times in the news recently, and it is ridiculous. Picking Kaine would mean his Senate seat is put up for a special election in November 2017. That is an off-year super low turnout election where Virginia has statewide/HoD races. VA statewide races are not sure bets yet!

Democrats could very well lose Kaine's Senate seat if there is any sort of backlash to Hillary in 2017. I'm sure we all remember 2009 and that GOP sweep. Even if that year had special circumstances, the point still stands: The seat could very well be lost if she chooses Kaine.

I just hope she is not this careless. There are plenty of safer picks.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »

Kaine would harm.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »

I've seen that a number of times in the news recently, and it is ridiculous. Picking Kaine would mean his Senate seat is put up for a special election in November 2017. That is an off-year super low turnout election where Virginia has statewide/HoD races. VA statewide races are not sure bets yet!

Democrats could very well lose Kaine's Senate seat if there is any sort of backlash to Hillary in 2017. I'm sure we all remember 2009 and that GOP sweep. Even if that year had special circumstances, the point still stands: The seat could very well be lost if she chooses Kaine.

I just hope she is not this careless. There are plenty of safer picks.

Maybe logic isn't playing into this as much as you'd like it to. I'd take Booker if it was me. I think he's exciting and loyal and would make a great VP to her Presidency. I've heard him speak and he's very inspirational, IMO.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »

Maybe logic isn't playing into this as much as you'd like it to. I'd take Booker if it was me. I think he's exciting and loyal and would make a great VP to her Presidency. I've heard him speak and he's very inspirational, IMO.

I do like Booker, but personally I would prefer Perez. Aside from liking him, he would be a nod to Hispanic voters. Even if it's not necessary for encouraging turnout in a Trump election, it would be a welcome gesture to the growing Hispanic community that Democrats are committed to them. Hispanic voters are a fast-growing Democratic constituency and will be critical to our future coalition.

But here is the thing - Hillary is a very smart, cautious woman, so it makes me wonder. Does she have people around her telling her that Kaine's seat is safe? Surely she is aware of the potential pitfalls here, unless people are acting supremely confident when they shouldn't be.

I don't know, this worries me. I just have a really bad feeling about 2017 if she picks Kaine. It is just too unnecessarily risky.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »

I do like Booker, but personally I would prefer Perez. Aside from liking him, he would be a nod to Hispanic voters. Even if it's not necessary for encouraging turnout in a Trump election, it would be a welcome gesture to the growing Hispanic community that Democrats are committed to them. Hispanic voters are a fast-growing Democratic constituency and will be critical to our future coalition.

But here is the thing - Hillary is a very smart, cautious woman, so it makes me wonder. Does she have people around her telling her that Kaine's seat is safe? Surely she is aware of the potential pitfalls here, unless people are acting supremely confident when they shouldn't be.

I don't know, this worries me. I just have a really bad feeling about 2017 if she picks Kaine. It is just too unnecessarily risky.

A lot of people don't seem to be worrying that Kaine might be selected. I don't know that much about any possible fallout. I just want someone who Hillary thinks is a good pick for her. I trust her judgment in this.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »

Kaine fatigue has been real for me since his name popped up as a potential nominee in the first place. We don't need moderates on the ticket, nor do we need to risk seats in swing states that are only safe because of who that senate seat belongs to.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

We don't need moderates on the ticket

On what planet do you spend most of your time?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »

We don't need moderates on the ticket

On what planet do you spend most of your time?

On the one where we don't need our policies dialed back 20 years.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 10:37:41 PM »

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TIvxqUCu41Q
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies