Is Kaine fatigue real? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:47:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Kaine fatigue real? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's up with all the hate for Kaine?
People actually dislike Kaine as a person/politician

He's fine but everyone has their own special favorite

Picking the favorite is no fun

Kaine fatigue is real, we're tired of hearing about him

He's fine, he's just not interesting to talk about

What Kaine fatigue?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Is Kaine fatigue real?  (Read 2911 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: May 23, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »

I dislike him because he's anti-choice (and apparently also pro-coal?). However, he'd probably be an OK pick from Clinton's perspective. Maybe a little boring, but I don't think that's really much of a disadvantage.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »

I dislike him because he's anti-choice.

No he's not.  He says that while he doesn't like abortion, he thinks it should be legal:

http://www.kaineforva.com/individual_rights

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tim Kaine believes that children and teenagers should be denied access to abortion if their parents are opposed to it. If that's not anti-choice, I don't know what is.

To clarify though, he isn't "pro-life" either. I would have a little more respect for him if he was (although I'd also be less likely to vote for him). He's compromising on the issue in the worst possible way.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

No he's not.  He says that while he doesn't like abortion, he thinks it should be legal:

Tim Kaine believes that children and teenagers should be denied access to abortion if their parents are opposed to it. If that's not anti-choice, I don't know what is.

To clarify though, he isn't "pro-life" either. I would have a little more respect for him if he was (although I'd also be less likely to vote for him). He's compromising on the issue in the worst possible way.
Interesting.. You'd think that PP and others wouldn't let him publicly hold such beliefs.
Now, this makes me respect him more, but I doubt it will make a difference in public policy.

Why exactly does it make you respect him more? If you're pro-life, why are fetuses of underage parents worth more than others? And if you're pro-choice, why are underage parents worth less than others. It's a nasty attempt to take away people's rights for having the audacity to be born into the wrong family.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »

Interesting.. You'd think that PP and others wouldn't let him publicly hold such beliefs.
Now, this makes me respect him more, but I doubt it will make a difference in public policy.

Why exactly does it make you respect him more? If you're pro-life, why are fetuses of underage parents worth more than others? And if you're pro-choice, why are underage parents worth less than others. It's a nasty attempt to take away people's rights for having the audacity to be born into the wrong family.
I am something of a relative moderate on abortion compared to some Tea Party extremists. I oppose defunding PP while being wary of the pro-choice lobby. Kaine having these positions makes me hope he might not be a complete foot soldier for PP and co, though the chances he would be allowed to actually influence policy in this capacity is very low.

To me it sounds like you're a moderate for the sake of being a moderate, at least on this issue. I mean, I can understand some levels of moderation on abortion (especially time limits) but this just makes no sense to me.

If there is such a thing as "Kaine fatigue," it exists only among palace-intrigue obsessed politicos, not average Americans, who when asked about whether they are tired of Tim Kaine are most likely to say "who is Tim Kaine?!?"

Seriously. I don't think I've seen him mentioned outside political forums.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »

Being born to Catholic parents is being born into the "wrong family"?

In this context, yes, if they're so serious about Catholicism that they won't let their children get abortions. Same applies to other religions, or just people who are anti-abortion for secular reasons (I might fall into the last group, but I still support the right to choose).

The difference here is that those other things (aside from the big medical procedures, which I also think shouldn't have a parental consent requirement if they're that necessary) don't really have any huge repercussions if they're not done.

Either decision on whether or not to get an abortion is a huge decision with huge repercussions. If someone is mature enough to give birth to a child, then they're mature enough to get an abortion. It's none of their parents' business.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »

Why pick Tim Kaine over Mark Warner? I ask genuinely, because they appear to me to be interchangeable.  Both are former VA Governors, current VA Senators, Clinton loyalists, and as unexciting as they are white.

Tim Kaine speaks Spanish, and didn't recently come close to losing an election he was expected to win by a lot. Also Warner is a moderate while Kaine is more of a mainstream Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies