Is Kaine fatigue real? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:12:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Kaine fatigue real? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's up with all the hate for Kaine?
People actually dislike Kaine as a person/politician

He's fine but everyone has their own special favorite

Picking the favorite is no fun

Kaine fatigue is real, we're tired of hearing about him

He's fine, he's just not interesting to talk about

What Kaine fatigue?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Is Kaine fatigue real?  (Read 2935 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: May 22, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »

DNC chair when there was a net loss of 63 seats in the House.

And you think that's his fault?

Oh that's right, no one in power is ever to blame. It's all the "professional leftists' faults".

Those losses came in a midterm rocked by a large recession and other image problems for the Democratic party, including in terms of policy (PPACA). It was pretty much a given they were going to lose seats, following WH party's midterm loss tradition and the fact that many of those seats were R+'s. Democrats were way too overextended.

You can't just point to the top and blame them for everything. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done. Could Kaine and Obama have acted in ways to mitigate the damage? Of course. Could they have avoided large losses altogether? Probably not.

Though if you're going to point fingers like that, then why? What did he do wrong? What didn't he do that he should have? Do you think that those losses could have been avoided entirely? Surely you have some reasons here if you're going to blame someone for it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 01:42:06 PM by Virginia »

I've seen that a number of times in the news recently, and it is ridiculous. Picking Kaine would mean his Senate seat is put up for a special election in November 2017. That is an off-year super low turnout election where Virginia has statewide/HoD races. VA statewide races are not sure bets yet!

Democrats could very well lose Kaine's Senate seat if there is any sort of backlash to Hillary in 2017. I'm sure we all remember 2009 and that GOP sweep. Even if that year had special circumstances, the point still stands: The seat could very well be lost if she chooses Kaine.

I just hope she is not this careless. There are plenty of safer picks.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »

Maybe logic isn't playing into this as much as you'd like it to. I'd take Booker if it was me. I think he's exciting and loyal and would make a great VP to her Presidency. I've heard him speak and he's very inspirational, IMO.

I do like Booker, but personally I would prefer Perez. Aside from liking him, he would be a nod to Hispanic voters. Even if it's not necessary for encouraging turnout in a Trump election, it would be a welcome gesture to the growing Hispanic community that Democrats are committed to them. Hispanic voters are a fast-growing Democratic constituency and will be critical to our future coalition.

But here is the thing - Hillary is a very smart, cautious woman, so it makes me wonder. Does she have people around her telling her that Kaine's seat is safe? Surely she is aware of the potential pitfalls here, unless people are acting supremely confident when they shouldn't be.

I don't know, this worries me. I just have a really bad feeling about 2017 if she picks Kaine. It is just too unnecessarily risky.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies