Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:05:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas  (Read 1227 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: June 13, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »

I would also like to thank the University of Texas for hosting this Vice Presidential debate and Lois Lane for moderating it.

The role of a Vice President in the current Atlasian system is to, first, consult with and advise the President on domestic and foreign policy, supporting the President to the fullest extent. Furthermore, the Vice President should assist the President in attempting to get the Senate's approval for any legislation supported by or initially sponsored by the President (since of course only a Senator may introduce legislation).

Also, the Vice President has a responsibility to maintain good relations between the Senate and the Presidency by presiding over the Senate in a professional manner and breaking ties as needed. An important part of this is being available as a communicator in case relations between the Senate and the Presidency get frosty.

Personally, if confronted with a tie vote, I would ask the Senate to reconsider their vote and would attempt to get them to compromise on the legislation in question, much as I did when I was a Senator. Smiley I would do this before breaking the tie, as I usually prefer compromise to confrontation on difficult issues.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 02:20:13 PM »

Admittedly, this is not the easiest question in the world to answer. The simple part is to stop new spending, and then cut old spending. How exactly to do that is the tricky part, since every cut will affect somebody. A tax increase at this point would damage the economy, so I do not favor that - in general, it is better to save tax increases for when there is no other choice.

Back in my Senate term, I voted to approve a series of cuts to the budget. So did everyone else, a sign of the pragmatism of the Sixth Senate. Wink I also voted for the Waste Reduction Resolution (also a unaminous vote Smiley ), the Budget Amendment (ditto), and to repeal the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act - not without controversy, but the financial situation was dire. So I do have a record of working to bring the deficit under control in a responsible manner (e.g., no 'bring the deficit under control by eliminating the entire government', as much as some people would like that Wink ).

Now that I've tooted my own horn, some specifics might be nice. Given that by far the largest chunk of government spending is on Social Security and Medicare, these simply have to be reformed, and at the least we can keep future benefits at the same levels as today's recipients get, although I see that raising the wage cap will very likely be required as well. I fully support reforming the farm subsidy system so that it is both leaner and targeted to actual family farmers and not large agribusinesses. All this must be done carefully, as the raucous Senate debates on these issues indicate. Smiley The current Senate has moved in this direction, although there is still work to be done, else this question wouldn't have been asked, now would it? Grin

Discretionary spending should be cut where possible as well, but it doesn't make up the bulk of the budget so that by itself wouldn't be enough.

As Vice President, I would support any rational efforts to get rid of the budget deficit, and would throw what influence I have toward that goal.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 06:45:45 PM »

I would like to thank my opponents, the Loyal Opposition of Ebowed, Emsworth, Attorney General MHS2002, John Dibble, and Justice Ernest, for participating in this debate. I would also like to thank the University of Texas and Lois Lane for hosting and moderating this debate.

The election is nigh, and I would like to ask the voters of Atlasia to strongly consider the ticket of Supersoulty/WMS. I believe that we can offer Atlasia the right mixture of moderate, pragmatic, compassionate, responsible, visionary leadership. If I didn't think that, why would I be here tonight? Wink I believe that we are the best choice to lead Atlasia to a brighter future, welcoming everyone who wishes to join in this grand experiment and keeping the sinews of the Republic strong. Kiki

May Dave bless you all, and Dave bless Atlasia. Smiley

And on a more serious note folks, have fun this election! I look forward to the Write-Ins. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies