Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:22:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Debate from Austin, Texas  (Read 1218 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: June 13, 2005, 05:49:29 AM »

Ms. Lane, thank you for hosting this debate. I would also like to thank the other candidates for participating.

The Vice President's role involves advising the President. The Vice President must help the President in formulating policies, selecting a Cabinet, and making decisions on legislation. Moreover, the Vice President ought to help ensure that the Senate passes the President's proposals.

An equally important role of the Vice President is that of leadership in the Senate. A Vice President should not be a mere figurehead, breaking ties when necessary but remaining absent otherwise. On the contrary, a good Vice President negotiates with Senators, helping them reach compromises when necessary. The Vice President's intervention may become critical when one is attempting to avoid gridlock.

If I were elected to the Vice Presidency, I would certainly keep the above mentioned ideas in mind. In particular, I am interested in helping the President and Senate formulate and pass a tax reform plan, as I outlined in a previous speech. I would also aid in the formation of other proposals.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 11:58:21 AM »

As you all know, we face a budget deficit in Atlasia that must, under our Constitution, be cut.  How should we go about doing this?
In order to reduce the budget deficit, the federal government must restrain spending. For too long, the government has irresponsibly frittered away taxpayer money.

Firstly, discretionary spending, which has risen rapidly in the last few years, would be reduced. In particular, pork barrel projects would cease as soon as possible. Furthermore, the level of discretionary spending, in real terms, would be frozen; increases would only occur in exceptional circumstances (for instance, a national emergency). I believe that spending cuts should be phased in over the next few years. A sudden decrease in funding would produce too draconian an effect.

Secondly, farm subsidies need to be reduced. The Farm Subsidy Limit Act has made a good start, but more needs to be done. The federal government estimates that about 78% of farm subsidies go to just 8% of farmers. Currently, each farm may technically collect up to $360,000, but there are several loopholes and exceptions. I believe that there should be a strict limit (that is, a limit with no loopholes or exceptions) of approximately $250,000 per farm.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:37:50 PM »

I would like to thank Lois Lane for moderating this debate, and Attorney General MHS2002, John Dibble, Ebowed, WMS, and Justice Ernest for participating. I would, furthermore, like to wish them all the best of luck during the upcoming election.

My fellow citizens, it is crucial that in the next three days, we elect an effective and experienced leader. In the history of our great nation, many Presidents have been largely weak, inactive, and ineffective. The notion that there exists a weak presidency is not a mere myth devised to attract more votes. It is not an illusion formulated by spin doctors. It is not a phantasm created to mislead the voters. Too many Presidents have merely genuflected before the will of others, failing to provide real leadership.

I would submit that my running mate, Siege40, would be a great leader. He is an experienced candidate; he has served not only as Secretary of State, but also as Lieutenant Governor, Governor, and Senator. Indubitably, his extensive experience will certainly aid him in his relations with both the Senate and the regions. I strongly urge you to vote for him during this election.

If we are elected, Siege and I will do all that we can to ensure that Atlasia remains enjoyable for all voters. In particular, we would ensure that the bureaucracy does not grow too large, nor the rules too labyrinthine. The true strength of Atlasia does not lie in the bureaucracy, in the government, or in politicians. It lies in the stout hearts and minds of the people. It is the voters who are the true strength of this republic. Regardless of party and regardless of ideology, every voter must feel welcome, I believe that Siege40 would be a very effective leader, for he would certainly ensure that, while certain basic rules are in effect to keep everything fair, the rules do not grow so overwhelming as to drive away citizens.

My fellow citizens, I therefore strongly urge you to vote for the ticket of Siege40/Emsworth during this election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies