"...there is a decent chance that the American experiment will be over."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:06:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "...there is a decent chance that the American experiment will be over."
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "...there is a decent chance that the American experiment will be over."  (Read 1383 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »

Gopnic in New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-dangerous-acceptance-of-donald-trump
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »

The Left is in such denial about Obama that they are projecting all of his sins on Trump.
Pull quote fixed:
"The American Republic stands threatened by the first overtly anti-democratic leader of a large party in its modern history—an authoritarian with no grasp of history, no impulse control, and no apparent barriers on his will to power. The right thing to do, for everyone who believes in liberal democracy, is to gather around and work to defeat Barrack Obama."

My Head is exploding...
Many of us think that it would be terrible if the radical-revisionist reading of the Second Amendment created by the Heller decision eight years ago was kept in place in a constitutional court; many on the other side think it would be terrible if that other radical decision, Roe v. Wade, continued to be found to be compatible with the constitutional order. What we all should agree on is that the one thing worse would be to have no constitutional order left to argue about.

1) acknowledging that the second amendment exists (it does) is an equivalent to claiming that parental killing authority is a right defined in the constitution (it isn't)... wow.   

2) Books have been written listing the hundreds -to- thousands of constitutional violations by the Obama administration and this guy is worried about a hypothetical Trump administration?   
certain facts vs a slim theoretical potential
The dems fret over the theory. 
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »

The Left is in such denial about Obama that they are projecting all of his sins on Trump.
Pull quote fixed:
"The American Republic stands threatened by the first overtly anti-democratic leader of a large party in its modern history—an authoritarian with no grasp of history, no impulse control, and no apparent barriers on his will to power. The right thing to do, for everyone who believes in liberal democracy, is to gather around and work to defeat Barrack Obama."

My Head is exploding...
Many of us think that it would be terrible if the radical-revisionist reading of the Second Amendment created by the Heller decision eight years ago was kept in place in a constitutional court; many on the other side think it would be terrible if that other radical decision, Roe v. Wade, continued to be found to be compatible with the constitutional order. What we all should agree on is that the one thing worse would be to have no constitutional order left to argue about.

1) acknowledging that the second amendment exists (it does) is an equivalent to claiming that parental killing authority is a right defined in the constitution (it isn't)... wow.   

2) Books have been written listing the hundreds -to- thousands of constitutional violations by the Obama administration and this guy is worried about a hypothetical Trump administration?   

You spelled his name wrong.

Anyway, you are delusional if you do not think we are in a better place than we were eight years ago because of Obama. Your talk of Obama's constitutional violations is funny. Can you name a few for me?

Meanwhile, I don't know what you think of Trump on eminent domain. . . but I'm sure it's just the same, if not worse, right?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:16:41 PM »

I think journalists are going a bit too far with this.  There's no way in hell Franz von Papen Paul Ryan is ever going along with 1930's Europe stuff, like repealing the civil rights act and granting Trump emergency powers.  The worst case scenario is Trump = Wilson on race, not Trump = Hitler.  It would certainly be remembered as an ugly, embarrassing episode in our history if the Trump DOJ looks the other way while e.g. Arizona removes all Spanish surnames from its voting rolls, or if it maintains an unofficial policy of refusing to prosecute violence against certain groups, but if the untimely demise of Reconstruction wasn't "the American experiment will be over" then Trump won't be either, even in the worst case. 

No chance, you say?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »

Given that you would not be able to distinguish democracy from scrambled eggs, seriously confuse America with a drunk mongoose, and have never been able to figure out which is left and which is right even when talking about your own hands, your opinion is of limited interest here, except in the antropological sense. Sentient human beings, though, I am asking to stop and think.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »

Pull quote fixed:

My Head is exploding...

Any yet...Obama does not have any legitimate scandals to speak of....unlike GW Bush and Reagan.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »

The New Yorker is painfully middlebrow.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »

Pull quote fixed:

My Head is exploding...

Any yet...Obama does not have any legitimate scandals to speak of....unlike GW Bush and Reagan.

The bar tends to be a lot lower for politicians of the opposing party Tongue
Zeke921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:28:17 AM »

Pull quote fixed:

My Head is exploding...

Anyway, you are delusional if you do not think we are in a better place than we were eight years ago because of Obama. Your talk of Obama's constitutional violations is funny. Can you name a few for me?

Meanwhile, I don't know what you think of Trump on eminent domain. . . but I'm sure it's just the same, if not worse, right?
How about instant amnesty and changing Obamacare a few times all through executive order without Congress's approval at all? How about directing the IRS that people that don't like him don't deserve tax breaks? Just to name a few.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 06:10:29 AM »

Pull quote fixed:

My Head is exploding...

How about instant amnesty and changing Obamacare a few times all through executive order without Congress's approval at all? How about directing the IRS that people that don't like him don't deserve tax breaks? Just to name a few.

How about the fact that Bush, Reagan, and Nixon all signed more executive orders than Obama? How about the fact that executive orders are completely legal? In fact, Obama has signed less executive orders than any 2-term president in 100 years.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:00:56 AM »

A quote from Gerald Ford's acceptant speech at the 1976 Republican National Convention:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If the American experiment is over, it is because our political leaders no longer recognize who makes America's system work.  They no longer recognize who pays the taxes, who obeys the laws, and they are no longer are on our side.

They attention goes to niche complaints.  The Establishment GOP's focus is solely on the complaints of the investor class (as opposed to the working class) and their desires for free trade.  The Democrats' focus is on exotic fringes (LGBTI, BLM, illegal aliens and their families and friends that may be here as citizens).  That's what millions of working class Americans are seeing; folks for whom the rules have been changed to where they were once violators, but are now victims.  They've not only lost ground economically; they've lost ground socially.  Their work ethic is scorned and their prejudices are magnified far and way beyond what they really are.  It is as if the only reward for paying the taxes, doing the work, and obeying the laws is that they get to stay out of jail, but their struggles are dismissed as imagined.  Indeed, there are a lot of elitists who write articles as to how Trump's constituency aren't victims, and are getting what they deserve because they are unenlightened.

Folks like this writer from the New Yorker are unconcerned about the lot of working class folks.  They view their "global citizen" view as enlightened and the nationalistic view of Trump's constituency as unenlightened.  They take for granted that Trump's supporters will continue to work; indeed, they view themselves as ENTITLED to the benefits of a working class that shows up for work and obeys the laws.  (Notice that they never refer to BLM as lawbreakers who are asserting a "right" to resist lawful arrests.) 

Trump represents a candidate who is on their side and who recognizes that they are the worker bees of society that make it work.  Trump recognizes that our society can do without LGBTI complainers and BLM complainers and Evangelical complainers and non-working poor complainers and Investor Class tax complainers, but it can't do without a backbone of folks with a work ethic who will do the work of society.  Trump (and Sanders, for that matter) actually recognize this.  "The Silent Majority stands with Trump." is not an accidental slogan; it is a rallying cry for folks who have played by the rules and have been taken for granted.

In functional organizations, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease; it gets replaced.  Trump gets that, and he gets the frivolousness of much of the complaining groups in our polity.   He also realizes that it's time that THEIR problems receive REAL attention.  We have dropped everything for so many constituencies that, quite frankly, take, but don't give.  There is a resentment about this, and it is hardly unfounded.  I'm not an Ayn Rand type, but work ought to be recognized in our society by our leaders beyond what it is.

Zeke921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »

Pull quote fixed:

My Head is exploding...

How about the fact that Bush, Reagan, and Nixon all signed more executive orders than Obama? How about the fact that executive orders are completely legal? In fact, Obama has signed less executive orders than any 2-term president in 100 years.
It's not about numbers it's about degree. Obama himself said on more than one occasion that a president does not have the power to instantly grant amnesty to illegals than he did just that. Obama has said quite often that if congress won't help me I'll just do it myself
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies