only black people vote in this line up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  only black people vote in this line up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: who do they vote for?
Robert Byrd (D-WV)

Condoleeza Rice (R-AL)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: only black people vote in this line up  (Read 2832 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2005, 04:43:27 AM »

a former klansman or <gasp> a Republican.  Some thing I don't understand, why black people vote so unanimously Democrat.  Why is any black person who's a Republican an Uncle Tom?  Do they really buy that line without looking at reason?
I can understand during the 1960s, Lyndon Johnson, because of the Civil Rights legislation, but neither party works for them now, or anything else for that matter.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:16:49 AM »

It's somewhat of a close election (emphasis added to somewhat), but Byrd triumphs.

Byrd's KKK connections will probably be deemed too distant to matter by Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, et. al.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 12:31:20 PM »

...quite rightly too. His age and health would do him in.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »

Milk and Cereal: has it ever occured to you that it's in the economic interest of *most* Blacks to vote Democratic? And IIRC the 90% figures only started after a certain race baiting advert in 1988...
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »

yeah, but there are other groups that have economic interests in the Democrats and they aren't nearly as Democratic
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »

Byrd
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 03:02:28 PM »

Note - when I said "his age and health would do him in" and voted for Condi Rice in this poll, I was thinking only of presidential races. A Senate race would be a breeze for Byrd.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 06:34:18 PM »

What race baiting ad?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 06:37:56 PM »

Willie Horton I would guess, he was talking of 1988.

That was not even a Bush ad. It was made by an independent organization.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »

I'm not sure. But if Byrd was our nominee, I'd support someone else.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 09:34:15 PM »

The Democrats have been taking the African American vote for granted for generations, offering lip service in return.

African Americans have as much equality under a Republican administration as under a Democratic administration.

Robert Byrd?  Who outside of West Virginia would vote for that senile old goat?

Rice wins.     
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 09:53:21 PM »

Robert Byrd?  Who outside of West Virginia would vote for that senile old goat?

Rice wins.     
I agree with this part of your post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »

Willie Horton I would guess, he was talking of 1988.

That was not even a Bush ad. It was made by an independent organization.
It was extremely effective...(not just the ad, Bush mentioned Horton in speeches IIRC)...both in driving White suburban swing voters to the Reps, and in alienating any Black with any sort of selfrespect from the Republican party for years to come.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »

For anyone to vote for a Democrat these days makes little sense; the party has gone to such insane extremes; it is totally aligned with the anti-American radical reactionary left.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »

The days of moderate Republicans are long since gone; now there are only conservatives (a few of them) and radicals like President Bush.

Bush is almost a liberal.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 09:19:37 AM »

The days of moderate Republicans are long since gone; now there are only conservatives (a few of them) and radicals like President Bush.

Bush is almost a liberal.

He's a big spender - but I wouldn't say that makes Bush a liberal. Apparently, he's a "compassionate conservative"

Dave
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 05:47:29 PM »

Oh, and this klan issue is such a red herring (remember Strom Thurmond?)
Truman was also a member...
Why not have a poll between Truman and Alan Keyes?
Or Strom Thurmond and JC Watts?

Are you saying Strom Thurmond and Harry Truman were members of the KKK? 

Please provide documentation to that effect. 
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 08:01:12 PM »

It's pretty much a known fact that Truman was a KKK member, I'm fairly certain he admitted it.
As for Strom I don't recall him being a KKK member but he did father the child of an unmarried teenage black girl so it makes precious little difference...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »

Milk and Cereal: has it ever occured to you that it's in the economic interest of *most* Blacks to vote Democratic? And IIRC the 90% figures only started after a certain race baiting advert in 1988...

The "Willie Horton" ad in 1988 was not a "Race Baiting" ad at all.

It was made to demonstrate the very lenient approach that then Governor and Presidential candidate Michael Dukakis took as far as the prison system and the parole system went. 

Willie Horton was a violent, first-degree, convicted murderer.  Dukakis believed it was "rehabilitative" for prisoners to be allowed to roam the streets unsupervised in what was known as the Prison Furlough Program.

That practice was outlawed by state legislators on Apr 28, 1988.

On Jun 6, 1986, Horton was released from the Northeastern Correctional Center in Concord.  Under state law, he had become eligible for an unguarded, 48 hour furlough.  He never came back.

Horton showed up in Oxon Hill, MD, Apr 3, 1987, brutally beating, almost killing, a 28 year old man, then savagely raping a woman.  Horton stole a car, and was later chased by police and captured.

On Oct 20, 1987, Horton was sentenced in Maryland to two consecutive life terms plus 85 years.  The sentencing judge refused to return Horton to Massachusetts, saying, "I'm not prepared to take the chance that Mr. Horton might again be furloughed or otherwise released.  This man should never draw a breath of free air again."

This furlough program began in 1972, but in 1976, Governor Dukakis vetoed a bill to ban furloughs for first degree murderers.  It would, he said, "Cut the heart out of inmate rehabilitation."

On Apr 28, 1988, under increasing pressure, even from his own administration, Governor Dukakis signed a bill ending the program, for fear it would hurt his presidential campaign, which it did, and for good reason.

Horton was not a black victim in this add, he was a cold blooded killer.

The ad was not "Race Baiting". 

It demonstrated clearly that Dukakis was not fit to be President.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2005, 02:20:00 PM by Winfield »

It's pretty much a known fact that Truman was a KKK member, I'm fairly certain he admitted it.
As for Strom I don't recall him being a KKK member but he did father the child of an unmarried teenage black girl so it makes precious little difference...

I do not see these statements as any documentation or any proof whatsoever that Truman or Thurmond were members of the Klan, or that they were Klan sympathizers.

Are there any reliable sources on the life of Truman where he admitted to being a Klan member?     

Just because a white man is the father of the child of a teenage black girl does not make him a Klan member, nor is it the same thing as being a Klan member or supporter.  Without a doubt, a grown man having this type of a relationship with any teenage girl, black or white, is totally wrong and completely inappropriate.  It does not, however, make this man a Klan member or a Klan supporter.  It could be put down to the lustful behavior of this man, for example.  That in no way makes it right, but it still does not make him a Klan sympathizer.

I believe accusing someone of being a member of the Klan or a supporter of the Klan is a serious allegation, and should not be thrown around loosely without proper proof or documentation.

The Klan is a truly dispicable organization, to say the least, and I do not believe anyone with any sense of decency wants their name associated at all with the Klan.   

Therefore, one should be very careful about making unsubstantiated statements linking somebody with the Klan, without the proper documentation to prove these allegations. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »

I do not see these statements as any documentation or any proof whatsoever that Truman or Thurmond were members of the Klan, or that they were Klan sympathizers.

Are there any reliable sources on the life of Truman where he admitted to being a Klan member?     

Just because a white man is the father of the child of a teenage black girl does not make him a Klan member, nor is it the same thing as being a Klan member or supporter.  Without a doubt, a grown man having this type of a relationship with any teenage girl, black or white, is totally wrong and completely inappropriate.  It does not, however, make this man a Klan member or a Klan supporter.  It could be put down to the lustful behavior of this man, for example.  That in no way makes it right, but it still does not make him a Klan sympathizer.

I believe accusing someone of being a member of the Klan or a supporter of the Klan is a serious allegation, and should not be thrown around loosely without proper proof or documentation.

The Klan is a truly dispicable organization, to say the least, and I do not believe anyone with any sense of decency wants their name associated at all with the Klan.   

Therefore, one should be very careful about making unsubstantiated statements linking somebody with the Klan, without the proper documentation to prove these allegations. 

Actually, I found a reference to Harry Truman and the Ku Klux Klan in the Wikipedia article on Truman.

In 1924, at the urging of his friend Edgar Hinde, who said that it would be "good politics" Truman gave Hinde the $10 membership fee to join the Ku Klux Klan.  The complicated evidence about, background for, and interpretation of this episode are discussed in detail in the article Notable Ku Klux Klan members in national politics.  As a result of the intricate tactical twists and turns of machine politics, Truman emerged from this period decisively opposed to and opposed by the Klan.  The Klan's enmity for him was increased even more during Truman's presidency, which marked the first significant improvement in the federal government's record on civil rights since the nadir of American race relations during the Wilson administration.  In a similar paradox, Truman, who sometimes expressed negative views of Jews in his diaries, and referred to New York as "kike-town," also had a Jewish friend and business partner, (Eddie Jacobson), and later became one of the moving forces behind the creation of the state of Israel.

Unquote   
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »

Are you truly claiming that blacks voted in significantly higher numbers for Republicans before 1988?  That's simply not true.  The last time a Republican candidate got any type of black support was Nixon in 1960.

I never saw what the issue was with the Willie Horton ad, other than that some people get offended when unpleasant truths are brought to the surface.  There was nothing wrong with pointing out the absurdity of a liberal policy that would allow unsupervised prison furloughs for murderers, and the idea that this idiocy should be ignored because the best example of the danger of this policy was black is absurd.  I never even knew Willie Horton was black until the black activists made such a big thing of it.

The sad reality is that black participation in crime is far higher than their share of the population.  Instead of getting angry at people for pointing out a truth that absolutely everybody already knows, maybe they could start figuring out how to change the situation.  The politically correct denial of reality does not make the reality go away.

In any case, it seems Republicans are doing OK without getting the black vote in presidential elections.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »

Lee Atwater was a genius and knew exactly what he was doing.
That ad had scary nig**** are coming to kill and rape your wives and daughters all over it.  The ad was factaully accurate in many ways but it was the subtext that made it so succcessful.  Dukasis being such a detached whimp in the debate question on what he would do if his wife were raped only enforced his image as completely wrong on law and order.  Law and order had a lot more resonance iin those days as most cities were spiraling out of control.  I don't think some of our younger posters can realize how horrible many cities were.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 01:19:08 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2005, 01:20:55 AM by phknrocket1k »

Are you truly claiming that blacks voted in significantly higher numbers for Republicans before 1988?  That's simply not true.  The last time a Republican candidate got any type of black support was Nixon in 1960.

He said the 90% figures, not 'significantly' higher numbers. Pre-1990s, Democrats had gotten about 75-80% of the Black vote not 90%.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 02:07:30 AM »

Milk and Cereal: has it ever occured to you that it's in the economic interest of *most* Blacks to vote Democratic?

If you lived in Baltimore City long enough, you might start to feel otherwise.  Tongue 

Really doesn't matter here in the City, anyways.  There isn't another party to vote for (except for the occasional Greenie or Libertarian).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies