Your reaction if Sanders says this after DC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Your reaction if Sanders says this after DC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your reaction if Sanders says this after DC?  (Read 1828 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:51:55 AM »

(assume he says "I am making no decisions right now" after CA, but after DC...)

"At this time, given the results of the primaries, I acknowledge I cannot win the nomination through normal means and that it would be incredibly undemocratic for the superdelegates to give it to me. I concede this nomination to Hilllary Clinton. However, I cannot endorse her for president and will not campaign for her. Ultimately, Hillary stands against the american people on fundamental issues and is a puppet for other wealthy people to use at their will. I cannot in good conscience support that. I will be voting for a third party candidate. I ask my supporters to use good judgment when choosing whom to vote for and not make blind choices based on some stupid idea of having to prove loyalty to the DNC chairwoman."

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:04:39 AM »

It wouldn't change my plans. 

However, Sanders has said many times that he disliked Nader playing spoiler so this would never happen.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:41 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2016, 02:12:05 AM by Ronnie »

He's made it pretty clear that he "will do whatever it takes to stop Donald Trump" (or something along those lines), so I would react with incredulity if he spurns Hillary like that.  I think it's more likely he'll make a tepid endorsement for her during his concession speech after the CA primary, as well as his convention speech, but will mostly campaign against Trump in the general, rather than for her.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:29 AM »

I'd be disappointed, but this isn't happening.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »

I wouldn't just be disappointed, I would be pretty damn furious, because this would pretty much hand the election to Trump.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:56:59 AM »

Yeah ain't happening...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton_us_5706fbbde4b03a9e75d3fd93
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »

How many threads about that will we make? This must be the 4th or 5th.
dax00

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »

I'd be furious that the wouldn't be taking it to the DNC and jockeying for his rightful share of the platform.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »

It would not be entirely unexpected and would confirm my emerging opinion of Sanders. It will not at all change my views about anything else happening.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »

Once upon a time, I could not envision Sanders making such a statement.  Now, I wouldn't rule it out, even as I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

I think that Sanders' supporters would, for the most part, not take this well.  I also think that if he did this, he'd be consigned to the status of Eugene McCarthy; a guy who led a great cause, followed by total incoherency of thought.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »

"At this time, given the results of the primaries, I acknowledge I cannot win the nomination through normal means and that it would be incredibly undemocratic for the superdelegates to give it to me. I concede this nomination to Hilllary Clinton. However, I cannot endorse her for president and will not campaign for her. Ultimately, Hillary stands against the american people on fundamental issues and is a puppet for other wealthy people to use at their will. I cannot in good conscience support that. I will be voting for a third party candidate. I ask my supporters to use good judgment when choosing whom to vote for and not make blind choices based on some stupid idea of having to prove loyalty to the DNC chairwoman."

I would hope Bernie would never utter such filth about our dear Hillary, but if he were then it's off to the guillotine with the traitor! 
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »

I would hope Bernie would never utter such filth about our dear Hillary, but if he were then it's off to the guillotine with the traitor! 

If Bernie actually did this, he'd have a Democratic opponent in his next Senate race.  And he'd lose, to either a Democrat or a Republican.
Angrie

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »

I would be angry. But that doesn't change anything, since I am angry regardless.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »

If Bernie actually did this, he'd have a Democratic opponent in his next Senate race.  And he'd lose, to either a Democrat or a Republican.

I doubt that. The latter part anyway.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

It seems that the effect of Sanders overall is to move the Democratic party to a more truly progressive party. MORE FOR PEACE although there are other issues. It has been moving away from FDR who supported Glass Steagal and many other "radical" programs. The establishment is now being led by Clinton and they are all about keeping the status quo. That wing of the party is offering a saner choice that the extremely far right but the embrace such people as Joe Lieberman, Arlen Specter, and Robert Casey to name a few more "Republican like" Democrats. The fact that so many politicians have endorsed Clinton while fewer have endorsed nobody, and fewer than that have endorsed Sanders proves that the establishment Democrats are by no means a liberal or progressive.

If Sanders wanted to he could endorse Stein in states like Texas where Clinton is not going to win and therefore it wouldn't hurt Clinton in her attempt to defeat Trump. I think that he will do what he said he would do.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »

nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »

My reaction would be that he is weak. If he was going that far I would hope he would just come out and say to his supporters to stay at home and not vote at all, rather than vote for the lesser of two evils.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »

He won't endorse a third party but may stay in until the convention which gives Trump another two months of free time to attack Clinton while Bernie undermines Clinton.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »

He's made it pretty clear that he "will do whatever it takes to stop Donald Trump" (or something along those lines), so I would react with incredulity if he spurns Hillary like that.  I think it's more likely he'll make a tepid endorsement for her during his concession speech after the CA primary, as well as his convention speech, but will mostly campaign against Trump in the general, rather than for her.

Agreed. I think we'll see Bernie's focus on being anti-Trump rather than pro-Clinton. But he's not interested in telling his supporters to vote third party -- not gonna happen.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »

It would not be entirely unexpected and would confirm my emerging opinion of Sanders. It will not at all change my views about anything else happening.

Are you going to walk this back when Sanders endorses Clinton, or is it just in what I'm guessing is a long list of hysterical predictions that never came into fruition?
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »

Sanders would be hated so much by pretty much every registered Democrat.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »

Would be pretty okay with it, TBH.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30