Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:38:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)  (Read 10078 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2016, 03:27:48 AM »

The takeaway point is that if every state held a beauty contest primary after the actual contest, Clinton would likely win every one except Vermont, and maybe New Hampshire. I'll admit that Clinton supporters are, on the whole, more reliable voters, and these elections are mainly the most reliable voters (who skew older and more affluent) who are participating. I'd also add that while mail-in voting is great in that it allows a portion of the electorate for whom traveling to a polling booth is difficult or impossible, to participate to a greater degree, it's not great for everyone. Voters who change their address fairly regularly (who skew younger and less affluent) have a much more difficult time voting in these elections, and probably don't think it's worth the effort in a "contest" like this one.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »

The takeaway point is that if every state held a beauty contest primary after the actual contest, Clinton would likely win every one except Vermont, and maybe New Hampshire. I'll admit that Clinton supporters are, on the whole, more reliable voters, and these elections are mainly the most reliable voters (who skew older and more affluent) who are participating. I'd also add that while mail-in voting is great in that it allows a portion of the electorate for whom traveling to a polling booth is difficult or impossible, to participate to a greater degree, it's not great for everyone. Voters who change their address fairly regularly (who skew younger and less affluent) have a much more difficult time voting in these elections, and probably don't think it's worth the effort in a "contest" like this one.

Obama won both the caucuses and the primaries of Nebraska and Washington.
Didn't his supporters also skew younger? Didn't they know that the primaries were beauty contests?   
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2016, 03:46:18 AM »

Didn't his supporters also skew younger? Didn't they know that the primaries were beauty contests?   

He just barely won them, despite winning the caucuses by a wide margin. I think the age gap is even wider this time around.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2016, 03:46:55 AM »

Or maybe some Bernie supporters who have seen the writing on the wall and are ready to unite turned out to send a signal to their delusional candidate that the primary is over and that they are ready for her to begin her attacks on Trump.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2016, 03:56:00 AM »

what lol
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:17 AM »

Or maybe some Bernie supporters who have seen the writing on the wall and are ready to unite turned out to send a signal to their delusional candidate that the primary is over and that they are ready for her to begin her attacks on Trump.

Even if that's the case, I don't think voting for Clinton in a beauty contest is the way to do that. Anyway, I'd fall into the category of Bernie supporters who have seen the writing on the wall, and yet I voted for Sanders (again, not like it really matters that much.)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:52 AM »

He just barely won them, despite winning the caucuses by a wide margin. I think the age gap is even wider this time around.

Winning by 5 points isn't "barely" winning. 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2016, 04:30:13 AM »

It's certainly a huge difference from a 36-point win.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2016, 04:33:25 AM »

But not bigger than that between a 43-point win and an 8-point loss.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2016, 04:41:25 AM »

Thus why I said that the age divide is larger this time around.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:52 AM »

I don't see how that explains the huge discrepancy. Sanders' young voters were motivated enough to attend caucus state conventions.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:49 AM »

I don't see how that explains the huge discrepancy. Sanders' young voters were motivated enough to attend caucus state conventions.

Yes, as those have delegates at stake.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:39 AM »

Again, that's a pretty poor excuse. They were sent a ballot and all they had to do is mail it.
And I don't see why they were less motivated to do it than Clinton supporters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2016, 05:27:32 AM »

Again, that's a pretty poor excuse. They were sent a ballot and all they had to do is mail it.

I'm not saying they chose well or excusing their actions, I'm simply offering an explanation for at least some of the difference between the results. Also, for those who change addresses a lot, it's not quite that simple. I explained a bit more about that above.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2016, 05:31:44 AM »

I'm not saying they chose well or excusing their actions, I'm simply offering an explanation for at least some of the difference between the results. Also, for those who change addresses a lot, it's not quite that simple. I explained a bit more about that above.

How many people fall in that subcategory? A thousand? Two thousand?
The fact is that proof that caucuses are a mockery of democracy has reached critical mass.
Thankfully two states have already abolished them (Maine, Minnesota) and let's hope that by 2020 any state that still employs them will be punished accordingly.   
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2016, 05:34:33 AM »

Wow, these results were crazy. Trump did much better than expected, Cruz and Kasich barely cracked double digits, and Hillary WON?! Was it actually safe to call the Dem side? The late ballots in Oregon were extremely pro-Sanders. Even if she stays ahead this could potentially narrow to 51-49 or something.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the people of Nebraska and Washington for giving Hillary all the ammunition she needs to push hard for abolishing caucuses at the DNC. Smiley It's true that beauty contests are not representative either, but it still puts a magnifying glass on just how unrepresentative caucuses actually are.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »

I wonder how many anti-caucus folks would still be making their case of Hillary did better in caucuses than primaries. Anyway, yeah, caucuses are problematic, but so are these pointless votes. A contested primary (which would have to be open, in this state) would probably be a 15-20% Bernie win.

I made it very clear I wanted them gone even when she had a 2-0 record in caucuses and a 0-1 record in primaries.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2016, 05:48:23 AM by RaphaelDLG »

The fact is that proof that caucuses are a mockery of democracy has reached critical mass.
Thankfully two states have already abolished them (Maine, Minnesota) and let's hope that by 2020 any state that still employs them will be punished accordingly.   

His explanation as to why (the shifting addresses, the lack of residence at permanent addresses) an age gap exists made sense - but of course, you weren't listening.

To that I'd add that a LOT more of Sanders' voters are first-time/unregistered voters.

Yes, 130,000+ of them were already registered from the caucus, but remember because of time constraints caucus:binding primary ratio of participation is typically 1:4.

Yet you didn't have 520,000+ people vote for Sanders in this beauty contest.  Even if we assume his supporters are over-represented in caucuses, I still think he would have gotten significantly more of his people to come out in a binding primary where he ran a campaign/voter drive, and I don't really think that's debatable.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »

His explanation as to why (the shifting addresses, the lack of residence at permanent addresses) an age gap exists made sense - but of course, you weren't listening.

An age gap would make sense for a 20-30 point discrepancy, not a 50 points one.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:47 AM »

I couldn't give you an exact number, but it's certainly more than a couple thousand. The number of 20-30 somethings who have to move a lot is easily a five-digit number. And as I've said, the caucus results were definitely skewed toward Sanders. A contested primary where there was a massive GOTV effort would've probably been a 15-20 point win for Sanders, which is similar to the gap you just mentioned.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2016, 07:22:48 AM by Alcon »

So far, of the populous places (100+ votes) with precinct results (doesn't include King County and many others), the best showings are:

Trump - Moxee, 89.2%
Subdivision boomtown in the middle of Mexican farming country

Kasich - Bainbridge Island, 27.8%
Wealthy, educated Seattle commuter suburb

Cruz - Sumas, 18.2% (DuPont close behind)
Farming town in the middle of Dutch Calvinist country.  DuPont is a commuter suburb of Olympia and Tacoma.

Carson - College Place, 12.8%
Seventh Day Adventist college town.

[Low for Trump was DuPont, 60.8%...kind of odd.]

Sanders - Everson, 66.7% Huh [Close behind: Cheney @ 64.9%]
Everson is a farming town in Dutch Calvinist country...yeah, no idea there.  Cheney is Eastern Washington University.  Bellingham [Western Washington University] wasn't far behind.

Clinton - Woodway, 72.9%
Wealthy bedroom community of Seattle.

Fun fact: The Air Force doesn't seem to like Trump much.  He lost both McChord AFB (in Pierce County) and Fairchild AFB (in Spokane County) to Cruz.  These are the only precincts of any actual size Trump lost so far.
dax00

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2016, 07:26:46 AM by dax00, the extremely technical and judicious »

From the WA prediction thread:
Trump 76%
Cruz 12%
Kasich 10%
Result: Trump 41, Uncommitted 3

(I don't care about political beauty contests.)
Not bad.

And, smartly, nobody took my bet (in the Election Betting Thread) that exactly 3 of the WA RNC delegates would go uncommitted lol.
BundouYMB

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »

Can anyone please give me one good reason the DNC shouldn't (ahead of the 2020 primaries, obviously) announce they won't seat delegates from any state that holds a caucus instead of a primary?

President Clinton will be up for reelection and shouldn't have a major challenger so the elimination of caucuses could be done easily and without any accusations of bias in favor of a particular candidate.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »

Can anyone please give me one good reason the DNC shouldn't (ahead of the 2020 primaries, obviously) announce they won't seat delegates from any state that holds a caucus instead of a primary?

President Clinton will be up for reelection and shouldn't have a major challenger so the elimination of caucuses could be done easily and without any accusations of bias in favor of a particular candidate.
Iowa would throw a fit.  It'd have to be a 'no caucuses on or after Super Tuesday' rule.
BundouYMB

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »

Iowa would throw a fit.  It'd have to be a 'no caucuses on or after Super Tuesday' rule.
If Iowa throws a fit just threaten to not seat their delegates in the 2024 primary as well & give another state permission to go before them if they don't cooperate. Seriously, the DNC should have more power than the Iowa Democratic Party.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies