Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:01:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Washington Primary results thread (both parties; “polls close” at 11pm ET)  (Read 10031 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

Thank God we have superdelegates to protect us from the nonsense caucuses bring to primary process.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »

Can anyone please give me one good reason the DNC shouldn't (ahead of the 2020 primaries, obviously) announce they won't seat delegates from any state that holds a caucus instead of a primary?

President Clinton will be up for reelection and shouldn't have a major challenger so the elimination of caucuses could be done easily and without any accusations of bias in favor of a particular candidate.
Iowa would throw a fit.  It'd have to be a 'no caucuses on or after Super Tuesday' rule.
If Iowa throws a fit just threaten to not seat their delegates in the 2024 primary as well & give another state permission to go before them if they don't cooperate. Seriously, the DNC should have more power than the Iowa Democratic Party.

The backlash in the state would be so intense that it would give 6 EVs to Republicans without any effort.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »

Or maybe some Bernie supporters who have seen the writing on the wall and are ready to unite turned out to send a signal to their delusional candidate that the primary is over and that they are ready for her to begin her attacks on Trump.

lol, why'd he win Oregon big and nearly tie her in Kentucky then?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »

The takeaway point is that if every state held a beauty contest primary after the actual contest, Clinton would likely win every one except Vermont, and maybe New Hampshire. I'll admit that Clinton supporters are, on the whole, more reliable voters, and these elections are mainly the most reliable voters (who skew older and more affluent) who are participating. I'd also add that while mail-in voting is great in that it allows a portion of the electorate for whom traveling to a polling booth is difficult or impossible, to participate to a greater degree, it's not great for everyone. Voters who change their address fairly regularly (who skew younger and less affluent) have a much more difficult time voting in these elections, and probably don't think it's worth the effort in a "contest" like this one.

Obama won both the caucuses and the primaries of Nebraska and Washington.
Didn't his supporters also skew younger? Didn't they know that the primaries were beauty contests?   

He just barely won them, despite winning the caucuses by a wide margin. I think the age gap is even wider this time around.

Winning by 5 points isn't "barely" winning. 

It's certainly a huge difference from a 36-point win.

But not bigger than that between a 43-point win and an 8-point loss.

I doubt it'll be 8 points by the time they finish counting the votes.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »

Can anyone please give me one good reason the DNC shouldn't (ahead of the 2020 primaries, obviously) announce they won't seat delegates from any state that holds a caucus instead of a primary?

President Clinton will be up for reelection and shouldn't have a major challenger so the elimination of caucuses could be done easily and without any accusations of bias in favor of a particular candidate.
Iowa would throw a fit.  It'd have to be a 'no caucuses on or after Super Tuesday' rule.
If Iowa throws a fit just threaten to not seat their delegates in the 2024 primary as well & give another state permission to go before them if they don't cooperate. Seriously, the DNC should have more power than the Iowa Democratic Party.

As long as Iowa and New Hampshire are competative in national elections, they will get to go first and they will get to use whatever system they want, unfortunately.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »

Or maybe some Bernie supporters who have seen the writing on the wall and are ready to unite turned out to send a signal to their delusional candidate that the primary is over and that they are ready for her to begin her attacks on Trump.

Same reason why Hillary won KY and WV decisively in 2008 when it was clear that Obama would be the nominee - demographics.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

The takeaway point is that if every state held a beauty contest primary after the actual contest, Clinton would likely win every one except Vermont, and maybe New Hampshire. I'll admit that Clinton supporters are, on the whole, more reliable voters, and these elections are mainly the most reliable voters (who skew older and more affluent) who are participating. I'd also add that while mail-in voting is great in that it allows a portion of the electorate for whom traveling to a polling booth is difficult or impossible, to participate to a greater degree, it's not great for everyone. Voters who change their address fairly regularly (who skew younger and less affluent) have a much more difficult time voting in these elections, and probably don't think it's worth the effort in a "contest" like this one.

Didn't his supporters also skew younger? Didn't they know that the primaries were beauty contests?    

He just barely won them, despite winning the caucuses by a wide margin. I think the age gap is even wider this time around.

Because if it will be 5 or 6 it will refute my argument. Roll Eyes
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »

Same reason why Hillary won KY and WV decisively in 2008 when it was clear that Obama would be the nominee - demographics.

Okay but what does that have to do with whether his supporters are rallying around Hillary or not? If they were really rallying around her, she should have won closed primaries in Oregon and Kentucky easily. She won this because nobody was really paying attention to it except for olds.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »

Because if it will be 5 or 6 it will refute my argument. Roll Eyes

I'm not really even sure what you're trying to argue. I just felt that was worth noting.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

I'm not really even sure what you're trying to argue. I just felt that was worth noting.

I'm arguing that such a huge discrepancy between caucus and primary results shows clearly how undemocratic and unrepresentative of the will of the people caucuses are and that Washington obviously wasn't the slam-dunk Sanders state that everyone believed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2016, 02:19:46 PM by Eraserhead »

I'm arguing that such a huge discrepancy between caucus and primary results shows clearly how undemocratic and unrepresentative of the will of the people caucuses are and that Washington obviously wasn't the slam-dunk Sanders state that everyone believed.

Still we won't know how big the discrepancy really is without seeing results from a state that has a caucus and a primary that both mean something and are contested by both (or all of) the campaigns running at that time.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »

The late vote will start coming in in about an hour.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »

Although according to the SoS website only some counties are scheduled to update today.

Notable being some of the more populated counties: Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, amongst others.

FWIW: Bernie took about 60-65% of the "late vote" in Oregon, so there might be some significant changes in overall numbers.

Clark, Spokane, Kitsap should all flip to Bernie today and wouldn't be surprised to see dramatic shifts in King and Pierce counties and Snohomish move closer to 50-50.

We are still waiting on some final numbers from late votes in Oregon, in several larger counties, so wouldn't be surprised to see this limp on for another week or so in Washington as well.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »

Although according to the SoS website only some counties are scheduled to update today.

Notable being some of the more populated counties: Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, amongst others.

FWIW: Bernie took about 60-65% of the "late vote" in Oregon, so there might be some significant changes in overall numbers.

Clark, Spokane, Kitsap should all flip to Bernie today and wouldn't be surprised to see dramatic shifts in King and Pierce counties and Snohomish move closer to 50-50.

We are still waiting on some final numbers from late votes in Oregon, in several larger counties, so wouldn't be surprised to see this limp on for another week or so in Washington as well.

The SOS has June 7th as the next update for Columbia County.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

First batch in; new totals are:

Clinton 357091 53.52%
Sanders 310135 46.48%

So Sanders is already starting to tick upwards.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »

Clinton 357091 53.52%
Sanders 310135 46.48%

So... if Sanders wins... it means something?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

It would mean Lief has to withdraw his thanking of the state for voting for Clinton. Good enough for me.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »

Clinton 357091 53.52%
Sanders 310135 46.48%

So... if Sanders wins... it means something?

Well in the big scheme of things of course not. However, the final numbers do give us additional data points on the whole "primary vs caucus" discussion, turnout levels and patterns of returns in vote-by-mail states, and ultimately one more election geek thing to talk about while we wait for the final round of elections. Smiley
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »

Spokane county has flipped from Clinton to Sanders
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »

Where are you seeing this?

I haven't checked all of the county websites yet, so basically the changed numbers so far are from Clark and Lincoln, and Spokane counties?
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »

Apologies to every California poster, but your state has once again been relegated to meaning literally nothing in the primary calendar. Barring major surprises, both TRUMP and Clinton will have their nominations called by the networks before CA closes its polls. TRUMP won't have to rely on superdelegates; Clinton will but honestly I don't see why they'd switch to Bernie en masse at the convention.

Blast. There's always next time. I was really looking forward to it though. At least the US Senate should be interesting (for second place).

I'm rather surprised at how well Trump is doing. Apparently anti Trump voters have either largely given in and are voting Trump or they just aren't turning out.

I'd be interested to see how CA turnout... turns out. Our downballot primaries are also on June 7th.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »

Where are you seeing this?

I haven't checked all of the county websites yet, so basically the changed numbers so far are from Clark and Lincoln, and Spokane counties?
http://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/President-Democratic-Party_ByCounty.html
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »

So King county added another 16k votes 48-52 Hillary.
Spokane county 4.6k 60-40 Bernie.
Pierce county another 9k votes 53-47 Bernie
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »

Clark County flips to Sanders.
Dwarven Dragon