Main Governor Paul LePage to run for Senate in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Main Governor Paul LePage to run for Senate in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Main Governor Paul LePage to run for Senate in 2018  (Read 1758 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »

Another story from earlier this month, that I noticed was not posted. LePage said he will not run if he is offered a job in a Trump administration.

http://wgme.com/news/local/gov-lepage-says-hell-take-on-angus-king
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

Would he even get past the primary?  Do Maine Republicans still want anything to do with this guy?

Safe I.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »

Would he even get past the primary?  Do Maine Republicans still want anything to do with this guy?

He got elected governor twice. I'm not sure they really have other options.  (Yeah, Cutler caused it in 2010, but in 2014 LePage won on his own merits.)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

Safe I.

The Maine Republican Party probably wants to primary him, but the Republican voters there are getting increasingly wacky.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »

He could have a chance if the democrats also run a candidate
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »

King has proven himself to be a partisan in disguise, alienating a lot of Republicans. A split in the Democratic vote could cause a 2014 repeat, but his name alone is still very powerful.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »

He got elected governor twice. I'm not sure they really have other options.  (Yeah, Cutler caused it in 2010, but in 2014 LePage won on his own merits the back of a massive GOP wave.)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »

He got elected governor twice. I'm not sure they really have other options.  (Yeah, Cutler caused it in 2010, but in 2014 LePage won on his own merits the back of a massive GOP wave.)

In that case perhaps LePage's best hope is to lose this year's battle to win his little "war' with King
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »

King has proven himself to be a partisan in disguise, alienating a lot of Republicans. A split in the Democratic vote could cause a 2014 repeat, but his name alone is still very powerful.

That's a fair assessment.  He basically hasn't supported the modern Republican position on anything since being elected to the senate.  I could actually see him finishing 3rd against LePage and a strong progressive Dem.  The electorate has little taste for establishment "moderates" even in states where the fundamentals are lot better for them than ME.

It's not so much moderates as a whole, but fake ones. Moderate heroes. Snowe and Collins are genuine moderates in a moderate state that likes independents, and so they slaughter their opponents each and every time in a spectacular fashion. King WAS a Democrat but ran as an independent claiming to be a moderate for both jobs, the first case because he knew it would be a GOP wave year. He did a decent job as governor, leading to his popularity, and it was this nostalgia that gave him the Senate seat. In the Senate, he has gotten arrogant with his apparent invincibility and has let his lukewarm center-leftism show while still claiming to be carrying Olympia's torch that she abruptly abandoned.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »

That's a fair assessment.  He basically hasn't supported the modern Republican position on anything since being elected to the senate.  I could actually see him finishing 3rd against LePage and a strong progressive Dem.  The electorate has little taste for establishment "moderates" even in states where the fundamentals are lot better for them than ME.

It's not so much moderates as a whole, but fake ones. Moderate heroes. Snowe and Collins are genuine moderates in a moderate state that likes independents, and so they slaughter their opponents each and every time in a spectacular fashion. King WAS a Democrat but ran as an independent claiming to be a moderate for both jobs, the first case because he knew it would be a GOP wave year. He did a decent job as governor, leading to his popularity, and it was this nostalgia that gave him the Senate seat. In the Senate, he has gotten arrogant with his apparent invincibility and has let his lukewarm center-leftism show while still claiming to be carrying Olympia's torch that she abruptly abandoned.

Yes, King just screams Mark Warner to me, and he doesn't have several 100K federal employees to fall back on in his midterm.

In that he's gotten cocky and complacent and thus rash with ideas?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »

Safe D/I, and thank god too.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:54 AM »

If King is a partisan, I'd hate to know what you think most Senators are.

Honestly, I think King should run for Governor again and ask Cutler to run for Senate. Only someone like Poliquin could defeat King, IMO.
JMT

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

I think LePage would lose this race, but just about everyone thought he'd lose reelection in 2014 and he won by an even larger margin than in 2010. So I wouldn't completely discount him, especially in a midterm under a President Hillary Clinton. I still think King is likely to win, but it isn't a completely safe seat in my opinion.

Maine Republicans ideally would want Bruce Poliquin to run for this seat, but I think if he wins reelection this fall, he likely will be able to hold on to his house seat for a while and wouldn't want to risk giving up that seat to make a run for senate, a race that would not ensure him victory. Of course, the Poliquin speculation likely ends if Emily Cain defeats him this year.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »

Honestly, I think King should run for Governor again and ask Cutler to run for Senate. Only someone like Poliquin could defeat King, IMO.

An ideological partisan

That'd be okay
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »

An ideological partisan

That'd be okay

OK then. Would you prefer Cutler to LePage?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »

An ideological partisan

That'd be okay

King>LePage>Michaud>Cutler. In King's governor days he was more reserved, but now that he views himself as invincible he's reckless and has become entrenched in the DC cartel. If he were to go back home, he'd be restrained again because the Maine GOP would more or less force him to. Cutler on the other hand is an Independent in the Bernie Sanders far left sense, not a "let's build consensus" Independent like Governor!King.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »

Likely D/I. I'm saying "likely" instead of "safe" because a lot can happen in two years.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:15 PM »

An ideological partisan

That'd be okay

King>LePage>Michaud>Cutler. In King's governor days he was more reserved, but now that he views himself as invincible he's reckless and has become entrenched in the DC cartel. If he were to go back home, he'd be restrained again because the Maine GOP would more or less force him to. Cutler on the other hand is an Independent in the Bernie Sanders far left sense, not a "let's build consensus" Independent like Governor!King.

Okay, Senator Cruz.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 10:41:14 PM »

I wonder what Shenna Bellows is thinking right about now.

She's still slowly regenerating from being Krillin'd by Collins
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

An ideological partisan

That'd be okay

Okay, Senator Cruz.

The difference between FreePhoenix and Senator Cruz is that the former knows the latter leads the D. C. cartel.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »

Don't know where else to put this, but I just found out that Angus King actually beat Susan Collins in an election once. Same thing with Leahy and Sanders.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »

Don't know where else to put this, but I just found out that Angus King actually beat Susan Collins in an election once. Same thing with Leahy and Sanders.

Harry Reid and John Ensign, too.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »

Assuming LePage doesn't get any help from a spoiler, King should be safe. He's not Michaud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies