Breaking: Ryan expected to end standoff with Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Breaking: Ryan expected to end standoff with Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Ryan expected to end standoff with Trump  (Read 954 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-05-25/ryan-said-to-tell-confidants-he-s-ready-to-end-trump-standoff
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »

You might want to read this article, Vosem: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/2016-election-realignment-partisan-political-party-policy-democrats-republicans-politics-213909
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »

Are you talking about the same Ron Paul who ran two failed campaigns and couldn't extend his movement beyond the Kool-Aid drinking corners of the internet?  The same Ron Paul whose son dropped out after getting less than five percent of the vote in Iowa?

I like that you're optimistic and idealistic, but color me skeptical, to say the least!  I won't rule out every one of your predictions, but even assuming Trump and his ideology completely fizzles the moment he loses, to suggest that Ron Paul, of all people, will gain more coverage in the history books than a George Wallace-esque candidate who hijacked a national party seems a bit far-fetched to me.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:00:56 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

If that's the case, then the party would go against the views of its base.  Quote from the Politico article:

Quote from: Restricted
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:14:23 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2016, 01:19:41 AM by Ronnie »

Also, let me add: one problem I have with the assumption that the Sanders constituency will eventually take over the Democratic Party is that it assumes the views of his young supporters will not change over time.  The reality is that many of them are in a financially anxious period of their lives, buried in student loans and whatnot.  Many of them will de-radicalize once marriage, kids, and white collar jobs domesticate them.

The anti-war contingent in the Democratic Party hasn't exactly endured in a significant way, even though it was immensely popular on college campuses during the 60s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies